The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Must be scaffolding season, mine went up yesterday on the front, so that the barge boards, guttering and leaky downpipe can be changed. (Waited nearly a year for this). 

I was hoping to sneak up onto it at the weekend to repaint the render above the windows. Just checked the weather, rain forecast for Sat and Sun. 

Hopefully the wall behind the leaking downpipe won't take too long to dry out so I can get on with redoing the hacked off plaster on the inside, then redecorate.

15 hours ago, Minimad5 said:

You must work / Live in a pretty interesting place, to be spotting all these lavish cars

My company is on the same site as this classic /sports storage and transport. There are a couple of classic car restoration and service people too.

51 minutes ago, sims00 said:

So already changes have happened. Found a top bloke not too far who likes Saab's and we did a PX deal for these good condition aero wheels with great tyres. Also bagged a mint aero steering wheel and he even fitted them for me. Absolutely makes the car even better!

IMG_20210327_130657.jpg

IMG_20210327_130709.jpg

I love this! Offer me the estate just like this and I'd be emptying piggybanks all over the place!

Smoother going in the e280. The cable from the pedal to the throttle body linkages is quite twisty, and all the linkages were stiff; which made the pedal quite stiff, jerky and annoying. The number of separate components and joints is either a work of art or engineering complication for the sake of it. Or maybe a bit of both? 

It can be a bit of a thing with these- a hard accelerator pedal feel but it’s now transformed; cleaning and lubricating all linkages and pivots did the job. It’s on the Official MB service schedule hence I suspect that was last done A Very Long Time Ago 

770841AD-A550-4965-9280-62797B4DFC1E.thumb.jpeg.18680007fcbbc3196a566a0b250f3d61.jpeg

1 hour ago, omegod said:

The drivers in the yard must be absolutely shitting themselves every time they touch them 

Mostly mclaren staff drive the really expensive stuff ( like the F1s). Otherwise it’s just one or two usual staff. Not actually seen a bump yet, but transport sometimes involves little bits of wood so that the spoilers don’t scrape on the ramps.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Smoother going in the e280. The cable from the pedal to the throttle body linkages is quite twisty, and all the linkages were stiff; which made the pedal quite stiff, jerky and annoying. The number of separate components and joints is either a work of art or engineering complication for the sake of it. Or maybe a bit of both? 

It can be a bit of a thing with these- a hard accelerator pedal feel but it’s now transformed; cleaning and lubricating all linkages and pivots did the job. It’s on the Official MB service schedule hence I suspect that was last done A Very Long Time Ago 

770841AD-A550-4965-9280-62797B4DFC1E.thumb.jpeg.18680007fcbbc3196a566a0b250f3d61.jpeg

Have a bottle of St Austell Big Job to celebrate 👍

There’s a tale behind this , that isn’t my fault. My apartment is the only one round here that hasn’t had a new bathroom ( yet). Only 16 years since they were converted from dairy buildings. From gossip, they were done in house by the crown but they guy in charge was skimming off the top from subbing to cheaper contractors. He was let go apparently.  

I was told that things like waterproof seals, paints etc weren’t done. Not told by the estate of course, but by an ex neighbour with connections *.

The mechanic where I work casually had a non start on his BMW 120d yesterday. He had it recovered to the garage today and we hooked it up to our old genuine Wurth WoW and got a code 4A63 for the immobilizer going out of synch with the main ECU. Should have guessed it anyway as there was a key icon on the dash lighting up, but he said it was down to the key battery being discharged. He's not very into diagnostics.

Anyway, I looked up the calibration menu and there was an adjustment listed to make the two computers talk to each other again. I went through it and the car fired straight up. He has had starter problems for a while so I told him to get the new starter he's had hanging round for a while fitted, and also consider a new battery.

5 hours ago, HMC said:

The pedal in my e320 has always been stiff. But that seems to be a thing, and even new press reports mention it.

7 hours ago, HMC said:

If it's not a complicated linkage to smooth out the '(intake) butterfly effect' then it's early electrical position sensors which are probably not that advanced... either way you can bet that Mercedes-Benz  were trying to make the throttle feel progressive and linear. 

It was my mums Zoom birthday bash tonight, and randomly her friend from my childhood who had had the Pontiac Trans Sport when I was a lad was there (not seen her in many years!)! She was amazed that I had bought one and regaled me with tales of hers and how much she liked it! 

16 hours ago, HMC said:

Seeing this picture of a pub in Tavistock, makes me want to ask if the Ordulph Arms is still going? I worked in Tavi for 3 years in the mid 90s and lunches were often spent in the Ordulph as it made the afternoons pass in somewhat of a blur. The landlord had a Lotus Elan and a Lotus Carlton which he seemed to use as his daily. I remember briefly ( for about 400 yds) following him across the moors. Bloody hell it was rapid.