The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

26 minutes ago, dome said:

Bit of fleet shuffling to get the Jag out for a journey to the office this morning.

IMG_20210325_072655884.thumb.jpg.cd785072557d18b8709a5ed5b196961c.jpg

It made it here which is a good start. Needs a bloody good clean though.

IMG_20210325_081033993.thumb.jpg.9993183d09279c5a6f0e11927a553d4b.jpg

Will update my thread, been doing a wee bit of work on the fleet

I love it. TWO Jags is overrated, Jag and a Range Rover is perfect.

44 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

I think you will find that the shaft of the ball joint has a short flat section machined on one side.  You will have to remove the cotter pin from the LH end of the steering arm to clear it.

dedf03c8-78a5-473d-8c1a-bf4dc73e4068.jpg

That would make sense.

I could not get that pin knocked out, and the replacement doesn't have the cut out in it. 

It's booked in now anyway.

Phoned the garage about the Cavalier again.

3 weeks ago I was told that one of the mechanics was on holiday hence no progress. I got the same excuse again today and to phone again 'this time next week'.

That's the car been there a month now with only a futile change of the sparkplugs.

I was told last week that they would crack on with the welding, then I would settle up and take the car home to work on the engine.

To be honest, I have lost all interest in the car now. I was happy to work on the engine at home but I simply cannot be fucked  trying to find someone else that will weld it. All my other cars are working and MOT'd now and I'd really just rather get on with enjoying them.

I'm happy to settle up with the garage what I owe them and let it go for £100. I have the V5 in my name and a decent quantity of spares that will go with it.

It's currently in Bo'ness at the garage, happy to meet there with the spares and facilitate.

If there are no takers I'll just let it sit at the garage until some movement does occur and I'll do my best by it but I'd really just rather get it out of my hair.

3 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

3 weeks ago I was told that one of the mechanics was on holiday hence no progress. I got the same excuse again today and to phone again 'this time next week'.

That's the car been there a month now with only a futile change of the sparkplugs....

They do seem to have been a bit, errm, Cavalier about the whole thing.

The irony....

13 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

That's the car been there a month now with only a futile change of the sparkplugs.

I was told last week that they would crack on with the welding, then I would settle up and take the car home to work on the engine.

To be honest, I have lost all interest in the car now. I was happy to work on the engine at home but I simply cannot be fucked  trying to find someone else that will weld it. All my other cars are working and MOT'd now and I'd really just rather get on with enjoying them.

I'm happy to settle up with the garage what I owe them and let it go for £100. I have the V5 in my name and a decent quantity of spares that will go with it.

It's currently in Bo'ness at the garage, happy to meet there with the spares and facilitate.

If there are no takers I'll just let it sit at the garage until some movement does occur and I'll do my best by it but I'd really just rather get it out of my hair.

I've got a towbar on the Rangey, if you want to rescue it then am happy to do it for you if you can sort out a trailer?

It'd be a shame to let this garages uselessness get in the way of this car getting back on the road. 

Thanks Brian, appreciate  the offer. I've no way of organising a trailer though.  I've had Shipley quotes of around £60 to get it from Bo'ness to Bonnybridge. Obviously  I don't want it back at mine but thats around 15 miles to give anyone else a frame of reference.

I'm sure someone who has the welding skills will be able to sort it. The emissions issue I am certain is an easy fix.

Gutted. Finished a full rust assessment on the Jag and it's terminal. So it's off to the scrappers with it. Seems a shame to scrap a good running V8 Jag with six months MOT but there you go. Scratched an itch, and will definitely have another one. Anyone want to save it or buy it for spares?

IMG_20201001_121517.jpg

3 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Thanks Brian, appreciate  the offer. I've no way of organising a trailer though.  I've had Shipley quotes of around £60 to get it from Bo'ness to Bonnybridge. Obviously  I don't want it back at mine but thats around 15 miles to give anyone else a frame of reference.

I'm sure someone who has the welding skills will be able to sort it. The emissions issue I am certain is an easy fix.

Shame. I was thinking get it back to yours and regroup to find a non shyster garage. The offers there if you change your mind but I reckon you need to get it away from this garage ASAP. Get it home, have a tinker with it and maybe you'll get some mojo for it?