The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I woke the BX from its winter slumbers today and took it for a run. I stopped for petrol and when I went in to pay the cashier greeted me like a long lost brother. "Hey, good to see you! How's the car? I've been hoping you'd come in again, we did a stock take a few months ago and found an old bottle of LHM which I've kept for you."

1757126445_IMG_20210320_133735(2).thumb.jpg.bea80fa4375b192872f3be4c37770e5a.jpg

Needs a damn good wash now but that's a job for tomorrow.

Fitted new brake pads to the C180 this morning. Sadly the new ones didn't come with the wear sensor, so I still have the annoying 'Brake Wear - Visit Workshop' when I fire it up.Ā 

A new sensor has been ordered, as the MOT is due at the end of the month.Ā 

The last pads I fitted were on the Jazz and Focus, both of which had seized parts, especially the Jazz, with bolts rounding off etc. That was a newer car with half the miles.Ā 

The Mercedes looks pretty healthy underneath, although after a wash, the rear aches are suffering after a very salty winter.Ā 

got a rubbing squealing sound from the front offside on full left lock ...Ā  ????????Ā 

the flexi brake pipe had popped out of its holder and was rubbing its protection ring on the tyre .

got home and stripped it down and a corresponding rub mark was found around the inside of the tyre ..pipe was ok

glued pipe back into its holder with some silicon , and waved the underseal brush at the front end ......

fingers crossed .....

Ā 

we have been down to the lockup this morning.

163940363_2020-08-1414_16_07.thumb.jpg.7fbdaae6a289acaee927481e4fb32ea4.jpg

kerry took the softtail motorcycle off for its mot. it started straight up, no messing, and passed with no issues.

which is nice for a 30-something year old motorcycle.

the other bike, the sportster, behaved just how we expected it to, by not starting at all.

it did at least turn over, which is moreĀ  than i was expecting out of it!

877737207_2019-07-1818_26_22.thumb.jpg.7bf4a384e0401e937aaafd16fc0ee6cd.jpg

then with the bikes out, we turnedour attention to Marvin the Metro, which has not been touched since its test in september 2019.

i reconnected the battery, gave the key a turn, and bugger me, the car started!!

wasn't expecting that. still i did back the car out, and its nose is on the floor, the front axel is on the bump stops.

1040279809_2020-08-1414_04_14.thumb.jpg.4c3f135c8bf784a81c31caf821115c48.jpg554779737_2020-08-1414_04_36.thumb.jpg.1b97f706135bfd223ef625991dd658e0.jpg

shit. i mean i knew it was low, but not that low its in the weeds!Ā 

so, i have done the only "sensible" thing, and arranged for someone to come and replace the displacers and rear link pipe with refurbished, regassed ones.

this is going to cost more than the car is worth..... cos i iz idiot!

but at least then, i can think about getting it tested, and then either use it, maybe.

Ā 

Went with my friends at college to go on a walk. Took the car as it's cold and the location is 15 minutes away. After a few junctions and slowing from 40 to 0 a couple of times, the car then stank of brake material like never before. I have a sneaking suspicion that means I should probably replace the front brake pads as they're almost definitely the original ones from when the car was sold. So long as I don't do many more journeys in the next week or so, I think I'll be fine.

Just now, eddyramrod said:

I've phoned the hospital.Ā  She's had some tests and is awaiting the results, ring again in about an hour.Ā  Thanks for the reactions, everyone.

Best wishes. Must be incredibly difficult right now with no ability to be with people at difficult times.Ā 

Took the missus for a drive over hardknott and wrynose passes today, the ungrateful shite 308cc rewarded us by blowing a coolant hose at the top.of wrynose, thankfully I had 8 litres of sparkling water in the boot which got me to Ambleside then I limped to work in Bowness and 'fixed' it with amalgamating tape.

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Just over an hour ago I saw MrsR off in an ambulance with chest pain.Ā  In another hour or so I can phone the hospital and see how she's doing.

I'm bricking.

All the best and warmest wishes to Mrs_Ramrod. Hereā€™s hoping she makes a swift recovery!

Well I've collected her.Ā  She's been prodded and pressed, and blood has been taken.Ā  Now she's whole and in pretty good spirits.Ā  She actually has an appointment there tomorrow for something else, and I can foresee more in our future.Ā  We won't know what actually went wrong for a while, I suppose.

Thanks again everyone, your support is priceless.

I barely use my car these days but a while backĀ before I got the tracking done I had one of my back tyres resealed in Birmingham as it had a tiny slow puncture in it and it turned to be this. The tyre has held up well but today upon checking the pressures, I noticed the other back tyre was pumped up to over 47 PSI! All the other tyres were all uniformly around 33 PSI, I also checked and rechecked against all tyres in case I had anyĀ issues with compressor reading.Ā  Anyway. Its now been depressurised to correct pressure but I think some new rear tyres are in order anyway.

I'm still after a replacement matching wheel for the Peugeot and might have spied one so hopefully a purchase there can be made.

5 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

Had a little tinker with the latest arrival today, and found that happily, the cd changer wasn't fucked, it just needed the one disc in it to be pushed back into it's carriage.Ā 

IMG_20210320_224333.jpg

I feel your pain, Once had the entire dash apart on my Cavalier as the heated rear window wouldn't work after I'd changed some back-light bulbs only to find it won't switch on until you actually start the engine, not just with the ignition fully on..

9 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

It's census day.

Anybody struggling with this question?

20210321_084349.thumb.jpg.59eeb4d40b3d280172b4ab49d6659e0b.jpg

Mrs_b said ā€œyou do realise weā€™ve just pushed the average car ownership up... for 9 households who donā€™t have a car they now do have a car on averageā€Ā 

Anyway, I could easily countĀ mine in my head, Iā€™d hate to see the cylinders or Saabnutā€™s answer to that one!Ā