The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

That's me booked in for the Covid vaccination.  Turns out I'm eligible due to a pre-existing health condition, they've just not specified which one.  I'm not sure which conspiracy theory outcome to expect, but I'm hoping I get the one that turns you into a crocodile, that sounds fun.  Failing that, a superpower of some sort would be handy.

My mate had the same. He rang up to find out what condition he had that meant he was bumped up the list but the girl on the phone said they couldn't tell him due to some sort of data protection issue about telling people about their own illnesses. 

I've obviously told eveyone he's got AIDS. 

4 hours ago, vulgalour said:

That's me booked in for the Covid vaccination.  Turns out I'm eligible due to a pre-existing health condition, they've just not specified which one.  I'm not sure which conspiracy theory outcome to expect, but I'm hoping I get the one that turns you into a crocodile, that sounds fun.  Failing that, a superpower of some sort would be handy.

I had the same thing - I have no idea what the "underlying health condition" is either

Initially I thought the text might have been dodgy, but then this morning I got one from my GP as well so obviously the NHS knows something about my health that I don't...

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I had the same thing - I have no idea what the "underlying health condition" is either

Initially I thought the text might have been dodgy, but then this morning I got one from my GP as well so obviously the NHS knows something about my health that I don't...

I went to the doctor’s for something once and they started asking me questions about how I was coping with my COPD... I was like... eh? I then had to take several tests to prove to the doctors I didn’t have COPD! 

Although if I’d left it I might have had my vaccine by now 🤣🤣

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

"Mr Wuvvum, sorry, due to funding cuts and incompetent management we forgot to tell you that you've got a syncopated hemiola.

You have three over two days to live. 

Your vaccine is next week. See you then. "

45 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Snap!

WhatsApp_Image_2021-03-17_at_10.59.20.jp

WhatsApp_Image_2021-03-17_at_10.58.54.jp

Somebody on another Discord I'm on sent me these, as he's into his Saabs too.

I'm pretty sure some of them have been there as long as I can remember, given dad got work done there since I was very small that's quite a long time. There's a 2007(?) estate that was mums, then it shat its turbo and got replaced with a Duster, now it lives there.

I will help you change the thermostat on youre mercedes shouldn't be that difficult.
1. Remove all air intake hoses,boost hose and airbox.
2. Remove inlet manifold.
3. Remove stupid thermostat housing with built in pipes.
4. Realise you need extra gaskets + o rings.
5. Phone mercedes and spend £70 extra.
Job done.
Thermostat was £118 because built into housing with sensor. The black thing in the middle of the engine and over the alternator. 0afd317fed11e4566ad34f05899be74d.jpg

End of an era for me today.

Last day at my current job, after nearly 16 years doing it. Went in this morning and met up with the rest of the team (socially distant of course!) at a good burger van for a final chat, cup of tea and a massive bacon and sausage roll! Then said our farewells and I took my van back to the depot to hand it, my company phone and tools back. 
Bit of a weird experience really after so long. 
I’ll certainly miss the other guys and much of the hands on job itself, but I just can not stand the management and bullshit side of it any more so it’s all done without any regrets. Which I suppose proves I was right to go.

Taking a few months off to get some stuff sorted and relax a bit, but after that? Fuck knows what I’m going do!

2 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Last day at my current job, after nearly 16 years doing it. Went in this morning and met up with the rest of the team (socially distant of course!) at a good burger van for a final chat, cup of tea and a massive bacon and sausage roll! Then said our farewells and I took my van back to the depot to hand it, my company phone and tools back. 
I’ll certainly miss the other guys and much of the hands on job itself, but I just can not stand the management and bullshit side of it any more so it’s all done without any regrets. Which I suppose proves I was right to go.

Taking a few months off to get some stuff sorted and relax a bit, but after that? Fuck knows what I’m going do!

I didn't know you kicked your job in. Good luck for the future! Big changes are no bad thing in life. 

Fitted a new coil pack and leads to the roffle win golf today, hoping it solves the rough idle when it's hot as my account is now £140 lighter.

20210319_114209.thumb.jpg.eb2a62c0da4f6994348a48064400431f.jpg

Also found a blow in the centre section of the exhaust so that'll be next on the list 😞

I then fixed an intermittent airbag light on my daughters civic by removing the bulb, it'll do for now :D

5 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

All the best with ventures new Dan!

Honestly, I properly hate my job, I've been doing it for 20 years now and in all likelihood I'll still be doing it in 20 years time, basically because mortgage/family/responsibilities makes it genuinely very difficult to do anything else.

The last job I left by choice was my apprenticeship with Layland-Daf in 1999- I remember it being a genuinely liberating/exciting time.

Although  it was only an advisory, the Corsa was leaking a little more oil than I was comfortable with. Spotting on the drive in a random pattern indicated that it was probably the rocker cover gasket. New one arrived quickly and I fitted it yesterday. Hopefully  it works, haven't had the chance to go for a drive yet.

Treated it to a polish and wax also.

20210319_165400.thumb.jpg.82a527502562c58daa9f9616d017d5d6.jpg20210319_165431.thumb.jpg.74a44aa130ac00587228c9694966879b.jpg

Not much progress on the Cavalier. The garage have done nothing more than has already been tried. They fitted new spark plugs which weren't needed and of course made no difference to the emissions. 

So the plan is, they do the bit that they can do and which I cannot, which is the welding. Some investment in the car will pique my own motivation to complete the project also.

I will then take it back and do the rest. I now have a methodical list of things to work through with my new multimeter. I'm going to start off by checking the timing, if its out that may explain a few of the issues and I will be replacing the belt anyway as its well overdue. I also want to test the resistance at the multiplugs for some of the sensors in case there is a brittle wire somewhere. I have a spare pair of good headlights to resolve the beam pattern issue as well.

Thank goodness the lighter nights are coming in!

12 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I will be replacing the belt anyway as its well overdue

DIY'ing the belt? No idea on complexity but I imagine it's pretty simple on them.

12 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Thank goodness the lighter nights are coming in!

Clocks change next weekend, so an extra hour of day light in the evenings. Getting a lot warmer too!

17 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

That's sad to hear, but a familiar experience.

It only took me 10 months with a certain large telecomms provider to jack it in for the same reasons. I loved being out and about in the van, but didn't love being actively harassed by managers for absolutely nothing!

Numerous times I'd be in an active set of roadworks at the side of the road and get a phonecall just for my manager to shout at me for not participating enough in a meeting a fortnight ago. That's a genuine example! Not answering just angered them even more.

What the fuck's happened to management in companies the past few years?