The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Just seen the new MG Estate, what a pile of shit. It looks like it was obsolete 10 years ago. No doubt AROnline will describe it as the best thing since sliced shit like they do everything that comes from MG.

MG5 EV is not permitted for use with roof bars. The rails fitted to MG5 EV Exclusive models are for decorative purposes only. Roof bars should not be fitted to this vehicle.

Flipping LOL. It does look a bit like a Dacia Sandero crossed with a Polo estate off of the past if its the one I think?

I’m surprised people are still falling for this MG rubbish, I mean it’s a brand with a long history of fairly substandard cars (MG ZT excepted). Anyone over 30 must surely know this. I don’t know if it’s the serial MG Rover apologists or what that’s buying them, there’s an MG 3 that parks outside the local Post Office, the guy driving it metes out the power by slipping the clutch which probably tells me who is gullible enough to buy into all this old cobblers. 

8 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I’m surprised people are still falling for this MG rubbish, I mean it’s a brand with a long history of fairly substandard cars (MG ZT excepted). Anyone over 30 must surely know this. I don’t know if it’s the serial MG Rover apologists or what that’s buying them, there’s an MG 3 that parks outside the local Post Office, the guy driving it metes out the power by slipping the clutch which probably tells me who is gullible enough to buy into all this old cobblers. 

I only know one person who has bought one. Young guy, knows fuck all about cars, he thought it looks funky. He's a wanker so I wouldn't bother to advise him about cars

59 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I’m surprised people are still falling for this MG rubbish, I mean it’s a brand with a long history of fairly substandard cars (MG ZT excepted). Anyone over 30 must surely know this.

@Kiltox

TBF I think you're under 30 🤣

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

MG5 EV is not permitted for use with roof bars. The rails fitted to MG5 EV Exclusive models are for decorative purposes only. Roof bars should not be fitted to this vehicle.

Flipping LOL. It does look a bit like a Dacia Sandero crossed with a Polo estate off of the past if its the one I think?

Genuinely prefer a MG5 EV over Dacia offerings if I wanted A CAR tbh. Interior isn't super nice on the MG but it's way less grim than Dacia offerings. 

214 mile range is pretty respectable and useable too. Basically similar range to what I was getting on a full tank of fuel in my RX8. 😂

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Is that an old Chrysler logo I spy above th MG sign?

Yeah, it's always been a main dealer of tat 🤣, their secondhand cars were even worse, my ex (MGW) bought an early Hyundai Scoupe, you could see metal filings in the oil, after a PDI service and the oil was black as fk and about 3 inches too far up the dipstick. That went straight back😞

MGW=Money grabbing wh... 

Managed a bit of work on the cars over the weekend. There is a really nasty join on the Subaru.

Exhaust.thumb.jpg.18f7fd36a61afdba2632ed1c8b5bfcd4.jpg

I welded up that hole last week only to then find another on the other side at the top where you can't see too well, by which time I couldn't be arsed as I'd put the welder away.

So I went under and had a look this weekend. Looked a bit too bolloxed to weld TBH. The whole section looks a bit iffy so it's got an exhaust bandage on it for now until I figure out what to do. 

I also had to go through all the kerfuffle of reprogram the throttle body as the car was conking out after disconnecting the battery last week which is just silly. It's just starting up the engine a couple of times and leaving it running but it's a bit of a pain. Sometimes it needs it, sometimes it doesn't.

In other car news, I got the leaky pipe out from under the Porsche. Here's the culprit.

FuelLine2.thumb.jpg.59e52b7337b5b36e289a0d6e6fd68b8a.jpg

The bit of pipe in question has a bendy bit and some joins at each end 

image.png.0f9469223b07ccba3bd3fce0c168b7fe.png

so I had a quick look online to see how much a new one was.

944FuelLines.thumb.JPG.741ca2b7185f99f59ff7f86dcc4ad3ae.JPG 

image.thumb.png.1560fbd2b9df05b14c4adf9f32153130.png

Ha ha, yeah alright then. If it had been £15 I'd have done it but WTF?

FuelLine3.thumb.jpg.8c23779ef98dbf16bbdb39bd1c9000bc.jpg

That'll do. 

Not actually fitted it yet as the weather turned to shit but when I do this and the new fuel filter I'll be back to where I was a couple of weeks ago and can start looking at the Visa. 

However when I was under the Porsche I did have a look at the welding that needs doing for the MOT and think I might have a crack at it myself. This is literally the 1st time I've looked at it since just after the MOT as I just couldn't face it but the warmer weather has lifted my spirits a bit and car work doesn't seem so daunting right now.

I'll regret that of course when it turns into a full restoration but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

This evening I got drenched with petrol at the local Tescos. Pump cut out once, I pulled the trigger again and it continued chugging away merrily. 5 seconds later, as I turned back towards the car, it violently spewed about a pint of juice out of the filler neck. Truly bizarre, I don't think I've ever had that happen before in any vehicle - I've only ever managed to overflow by applying the faintest pressure after it's cut out about 5 times in a row.

Anyway, 3 hours and several washes later, my hand still reeks of it. FFS.

12 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Yeah, it's always been a main dealer of tat 🤣, their secondhand cars were even worse, my ex (MGW) bought an early Hyundai Scoupe, you could see metal filings in the oil, after a PDI service and the oil was black as fk and about 3 inches too far up the dipstick. That went straight back😞

MGW=Money grabbing wh... 

I always think selling new MGs as a garage is the last chance saloon before you end up a bombsite trader. 

On 3/13/2021 at 5:26 PM, Steve79 said:

Unlike this poor bugger

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/7410458.scrapyard-heroes-save-visitors-life/

A mechanic i used to know told me story of someone they knew who worked underneath xantia's by just setting the suspension on high! 

One of them lost pressure whilst he was underneath with predictable results ☠

I heard about a friend of a relative who was using a big long reach jack to work under the car, no stands needless to say, he was sat up, the jack went and it folded him in half killing him. I don’t know why people go in for half arsed short cuts like that. 

Recently I got asked to lend out a jack, I offered to lend some stands as well, he goes ‘no it’s ok the guys a mechanic he knows what he’s doing’. A dead mechanic at some point then.