The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Jeez either you've bought a Ferrari or you crash every year...? Or live in Central Liverpool. 

I've bought an old car and I'm a young driver. In the eyes of the insurance brokers, that's the equivalent of buying a Ferrari, crashing every year and living in central Liverpool.

6 hours ago, captain_70s said:

I've been jacking up a car to find it rolling sideways on the jack. Having said that I've never had a car fall off a jack so people who've been under cars without stands for 30 odd years aren't gonna' stop, the odds are they'll not be squashed.

Unlike this poor bugger

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/7410458.scrapyard-heroes-save-visitors-life/

A mechanic i used to know told me story of someone they knew who worked underneath xantia's by just setting the suspension on high! 

One of them lost pressure whilst he was underneath with predictable results ☠

Been busy doing some bodywork on the Fiesta, looking much better but colour match with not perfect..

Given the interior a thorough clean even took all the seats out and wet vac'd them.

Just need to get the da polisher on the other side, give it an oil & filter and it'll probably be up for sale as smollest decided not to learn at the mo..

20210313_161447.jpg

20210313_161500.jpg

20210313_161509.jpg

20210313_161512.jpg

20210313_161531.jpg

20210313_161538.jpg

3 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Been busy doing some bodywork on the Fiesta, looking much better but colour match with not perfect..

Given the interior a thorough clean even took all the seats out and wet vac'd them.

Just need to get the da polisher on the other side, give it an oil & filter and it'll probably be up for sale as smollest decided not to learn at the mo..

20210313_161447.jpg

20210313_161500.jpg

20210313_161509.jpg

20210313_161512.jpg

20210313_161531.jpg

20210313_161538.jpg

Looking good!

As I had the same image problems as you are currently having, open up the images in Paint (or equivalent) and check it' the correct orientation. Press "save" and th image will be locked right-side-up on the forum. Why it's been automatically flipping pictures is beyond me.

26 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Looking good!

As I had the same image problems as you are currently having, open up the images in Paint (or equivalent) and check it' the correct orientation. Press "save" and th image will be locked right-side-up on the forum. Why it's been automatically flipping pictures is beyond me.

Yeah its got me stumped as well, I'm using my phone so no paint etc but have edited photos before so they are upside down on my phone but they then are still upside down when posted!

1 minute ago, Floatylight said:

Yeah its got me stumped as well, I'm using my phone so no paint etc but have edited photos before so they are upside down on my phone but they then are still upside down when posted!

Indeed, the automatic repositioning of pics disappeared late last year unfortunately. It would be nice if it would come back!

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

I've bought an old car and I'm a young driver. In the eyes of the insurance brokers, that's the equivalent of buying a Ferrari, crashing every year and living in central Liverpool.

If only I could use the laugh and cry emoji at the same time...

It will improve in a few decades, honest. 

1 hour ago, Floatylight said:

20210313_161447.jpg

20210313_161500.jpg

20210313_161509.jpg

20210313_161512.jpg

20210313_161531.jpg

20210313_161538.jpg

The Aussie model, is it?

To be fair my phone has recently started doing this. I wonder if it's an Android update bug. Do you use Android?

ABS light came on due to sensor wire coming free from securing grommet on the Alhambralaxy and chafing through, so I ordered cheapest sensor on ebay for quick fix.
Didn't go well as sensor was giving wrong resistance and failing abs self test so I chopped them up and made my own.
Will be a temporary repair till it fails again or i remember to buy a decent replacement.043463ed105ac439b0d06d7957c57411.jpg

On 3/5/2021 at 9:49 PM, chancer said:

Great wee vans, had one for 10 years now. That one seems to be sitting pretty high at the back, the gap between tyre and back bumper is huge. Has it just had a new axle fitted?

I took off the caps in the centre of the rear hubs today to straighten them as some moron had mangled them by driving them in too far. The stub axles look new, so I'd say it has had an axle in the past couple of years.

My first insurance policy was £1200 in 2004 on a 1.7CTDi Civic. That's pretty much £1900 in today's money. So prices haven't changed that much really. However none of this black box crap when I started driving though. Probably a good thing as I'd be paying even more considering how I used to drive! 

It does get better as you get older. I'm now 35 and just paid £80 for the year to insure the BMW E28 for a year. All of my 7 cars together cost less than a grand to insure for a year. 

Just don't crash for a good few years though...

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

....and we're up to 7 LEDs (fully charged) on already. Better not be false reading 

20210313_182531.thumb.jpg.8dc142e65c1fcdd801521c94e1d92bba.jpg

Still holding, so started up and had the dim-dip mode running:

20210313_184158.thumb.jpg.8f61108aef495b32b0a9604041556b10.jpg

...and bizarrely the outside temperature sensor (third LCD on the right) seems to have reset itself to read correctly instead of showing tropical temperatures:

20210313_184840.thumb.jpg.29d66fe061879fee7291e89489b3cfde.jpg

21 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Was a) the car not securely on the stands, b) the exhaust subject to excessive force, or c) being careful not worth the risk?

a) No.  It was securely on the stands.

b) I was waggling it to try and get a joint apart.

c) Because of what I was doing I went for the advised safety precaution and used axle stands. It didn't help.

14 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

20210313_182531.thumb.jpg.8dc142e65c1fcdd801521c94e1d92bba.jpg

Still holding, so started up and had the dim-dip mode running:

20210313_184158.thumb.jpg.8f61108aef495b32b0a9604041556b10.jpg

...and bizarrely the outside temperature sensor (third LCD on the right) seems to have reset itself to read correctly instead of showing tropical temperatures:

20210313_184840.thumb.jpg.29d66fe061879fee7291e89489b3cfde.jpg

And you win tonight’s CX raffle for having three working LED displays! I’ve not used my ctek charger yet, but my dad put it on his modern ds4 with good results.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:16 PM, Asimo said:

And while I am thinking of work for the forum gurus, how about a function that detected a duplicate link so as to prevent repeated posts all pointing to the same ad?

I suggested this some time ago, there must be some way of detecting duplicate IRL's (or whatever they're called)

4 hours ago, SiC said:

My first insurance policy was £1200 in 2004 on a 1.7CTDi Civic. That's pretty much £1900 in today's money. So prices haven't changed that much really. However none of this black box crap when I started driving though. Probably a good thing as I'd be paying even more considering how I used to drive! 

It does get better as you get older. I'm now 35 and just paid £80 for the year to insure the BMW E28 for a yearAll of my 7 cars together cost less than a grand to insure for a year. 

Just don't crash for a good few years though...

That is very good going.

I've got the two cars under Admiral for about £620 total this year, and even that feels like a bargain for London area. I'm considerably older than you but picked up two claims in the last six years, so that's knocked the premium somewhat.

13 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That is very good going.

I've got the two cars under Admiral for about £620 total this year, and even that feels like a bargain for London area. I'm considerably older than you but picked up two claims in the last six years, so that's knocked the premium somewhat.

It's miniscule by Irish standards. I've got a friend just coming up to 30 who's had a couple of claims against him in the last few years, one of which hasn't been finally settled. He made the mistake of emigrating to Holland last spring so that himself and his wife could help look after her father. Because of Covid it didn't work out, so they came back 3 months later. He then tried to get insurance on a 1 litre car and couldn't get a better quote than €5000 pa.

13 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That is very good going.

That's one non fault claim (but total loss) for myself in that mix too. Never appeared to made much a difference to my quotes though. Two nine year plus NCB, one 1 year NCB, one two year NCB and the rest classics. 

I'm in a village in Somerset, so that also helps. That being said, the last place we moved from was on the outskirts but still inside Bristol and the prices were only a tad more to what I'm paying now. 

28 minutes ago, SiC said:

That's one non fault claim (but total loss) for myself in that mix too. Never appeared to made much a difference to my quotes though.

Fannying about on comparison sites recently.

Insuring a classic is about £200-400 a year with commuting included and no "other car for daily use", depending on mileage (having a daily car brings it down to £100-200 a year).

A post 1990 "modern" runs £500-700, I have 0 no claims due to running classic policies for years, but it seems that a year of NCD only knocks off about £30, then each year after takes a tenner of the yearly policy.

It seems it's mostly down to location, I'm looking at insuring old worthless shitters, but my mate lived a couple of streets over from me a while ago and his quotes for a JCW Mini and later a BMW 135 were similar to mine at £700 odd a year. I'm 29 now but it was cheaper to insure a fleet of three cars at 23 up in the rural north east than it is to insure a single car in Glasgow.