The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Tempting! I’ve just been looking on autotrader,  but I don’t really know what I would replace it with modern (ish) wise. I like the new Alfa Guilia, DS 4, 5 and that’s about it. CCbenz has a nice 320estate at a not excessive £6500.

If you can fetch it you can borrow the CLK.

Guilia is nice but there is the Quadrifoglio!

DS 4 or 5 are cars of the moment, fine if you are going to trade them in in 3 years but the potential for horrendous bills after the warrantee has expired. The depreciation will also be horrendous. Just not special cars for all the money they are going to cost.

Is the 320 a W124? Your MB got rusty after 15/20 years and a more modern ones can manage it a lot quicker. 

13 minutes ago, Spurious said:

I remember on one of the LR FB groups that an owner looked for advise on a suspension change and then deleted the post for the abuse he was rightly getting, I save the photo. Because this is not only a trolley jack supporting the nearside but a bottle jack lifting the body off the chassis 

18447206_10155242516741054_1743298978912260401_n.jpg

CYA!

Facebook memories threw up my fleet from 11 years ago today-especialy apt due to w124 posts above.

Screenshot_20210312-191225.thumb.png.b4780947fab0e5f393a2bab803db696f.pngScreenshot_20210312-191233.thumb.png.e2f81e56c65cef9de84c96a65149842e.pngScreenshot_20210312-191244.thumb.png.69e47554dd04d5d9d8c5ef45cf6248e4.png

Funnily enough I sold this on as the rear subframe mounts looked very crusty. 300d for maximum veg oil goodness. Loved that car.

The e34 M5 was an absolute monster too. 

The Mondeo Si in the background wasn't a bad old tub either.

I didn't even know this place existed then. Did it exist then?

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

If you can fetch it you can borrow the CLK.

Guilia is nice but there is the Quadrifoglio!

DS 4 or 5 are cars of the moment, fine if you are going to trade them in in 3 years but the potential for horrendous bills after the warrantee has expired. The depreciation will also be horrendous. Just not special cars for all the money they are going to cost.

Is the 320 a W124? Your MB got rusty after 15/20 years and a more modern ones can manage it a lot quicker. 

Thanks again, it’s under consideration. The ccbenz is a w124 320 in the same colour and grey leather, don’t really like modern Mercedes. It’s all a bit too soon to do anything drastic, so will use the 2cv until I hear what the parts supply is like.

33 minutes ago, dome said:

Facebook memories threw up my fleet from 11 years ago today-especialy apt due to w124 posts above.

Screenshot_20210312-191225.thumb.png.b4780947fab0e5f393a2bab803db696f.pngScreenshot_20210312-191233.thumb.png.e2f81e56c65cef9de84c96a65149842e.pngScreenshot_20210312-191244.thumb.png.69e47554dd04d5d9d8c5ef45cf6248e4.png

Funnily enough I sold this on as the rear subframe mounts looked very crusty. 300d for maximum veg oil goodness. Loved that car.

The e34 M5 was an absolute monster too. 

The Mondeo Si in the background wasn't a bad old tub either.

I didn't even know this place existed then. Did it exist then?

December 2005 I think. I joined in April 2008.

1 minute ago, GeorgeB said:

Even if the jack "let go" there is plenty of clearance where he is lying.

Bloody elves gone mad. 

The car isn't on solid struts. It falling from a sudden hydraulic failure would cause the springs to compress thus reducing the clearance more that when static without a jack. 

14 minutes ago, red5 said:

Yeah, 30 years in the trade and not dead.  Utter drivel chap, 

Not sure what you mean?

If that car fell off the jack with him lying where he is then it might just about hit his shoulder and push him flat on his back.

The chances of any major injury are negligible.

It's called risk assessment "in the  trade".

I highly doubt there is enough clearance for his head, let alone body if the hydros blew internally. You've not backed up any measurements to say there is room there Ben. Then on top of that it'll drop lower as half a tonne of vehicle falls down. Best case it would be a mushed face or cracked skull. Most likely mushed brain. 

1 minute ago, SiC said:

I highly doubt there is enough clearance for his head, let alone body if the hydros blew internally. Then it'll drop lower as half a tonne of vehicle falls down. Best case it would be a mushed face or cracked skull. Most likely mushed brain. 

I'd agree with you if he had his head under the diff or something.

The picture shows that there is no risk of injury.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

To make it easier to get access.

If you are that confident let's find a landy and put you underneath it and push it off the jack, seems reasonable to me.

My neighbour died last year, his jack failed whilst he was working on his defender, he was under there 3 hours before his 8 year old child found him, anyone working under an unpropped car needs their fucking head looking at.

Just now, Jazoli said:

If you are that confident let's find a landy and put you underneath it and push it off the jack, seems reasonable to me.

My neighbour died last year, his jack failed whilst he was working on his defender, he was under there 3 hours before his 8 year old child found him, anyone working under an unpropped car needs their fucking head looking at.

Was he under the very back of the "landy" with all the wheels on?

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

fuck me I'm paranoid if I've got a jack, stands and the tyre underneath the car. 

Hate getting under cars on my driveways. 

I don't trust axle stands alone. I slide my ramps under the sills so if the axle stands fail, the ramps take the weight.  Takes me ages to do any work. 

Well let's not fall out about it.

Surely we can all agree it's generally good practice to support a car after jacking it?  Just a quick look without getting your head under it might be all right, difficult to tell from the angle of that particular photo.

I don't always support a car after jacking for example working on the brakes but if any part of my body is going under the car it makes me nervous and I get the stands out.

4 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

Was he under the very back of the "landy" with all the wheels on?

He was pinned by the rear axle I was told, I believe he had a grease gun in his hand, its a mugs game and anyone climbing under at least a ton of metal being suspended in the air by a 10p O ring and trusting it not to fail because 'it never has' is desperately short of imagination.

5 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

He was pinned by the rear axle I was told, I believe he had a grease gun in his hand, its a mugs game and anyone climbing under at least a ton of metal being suspended in the air by a 10p O ring and trusting it not to fail because 'it never has' is desperately short of imagination.

It was a staple of Casualty storylines for a long time; every year or so some DIYer would drop a car on himself(it was always blokes), sometimes they set themselves on fire simultaneously for an extra thrill. Not seen it for a while though, the writers have obviously decided few DIY their cars anymore(which is true).

42 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

I had my little Clio fall a couple of months ago - I’d rolled over to grab some rag and the Jack “declared” and the car came down at quite a speed. 

It wouldn’t have killed me, but I reckon it would have knocked me out cold. It could also have bounced my head against the driveway which may have killed me.

It does rather focus the mind. I knew the risks but gambled. Got lucky. 

I’d never tell someone else what to do - but I would offer some stands! 

6 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I had my little Clio fall a couple of months ago - I’d rolled over to grab some rag and the Jack “declared” and the car came down at quite a speed. 

It wouldn’t have killed me, but I reckon it would have knocked me out cold. It could also have bounced my head against the driveway which may have killed me.

It does rather focus the mind. I knew the risks but gambled. Got lucky. 

I’d never tell someone else what to do - but I would offer some stands! 

I shook my dolomite off stands once while fitting an exhaust. Nearly broke my arm, but I survived.