The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just now, Tim_E said:

Maybe it's because they are drug dealers laundering money. 

Allegedly. 

I think of the faff we had with the vectra. In the end the guy who fixed it managed it in four hours. The first garage agreed to do the job but then it was excuse time - cams could be snapped, valves could be bent, colorado beetle etc.

If a business only wants to take on stuff they can turn around quickly then it is up to them - the danger is though people end up taking their business elsewhere.

The other garage have had the Cavalier for over 2 weeks now and done no more than @Lacquer Peel and I tried, and that took us only about an hour. 

They weren't interested in diagnosing the Corsa engine knock 4 years ago and I ended up changing the whole engine myself for £50.

I'd actually like to get it welded and have it back as I know I will be able to get it running right again.

Still, good of the place down the road to fit the Corsa in after all. Will go and collect it tomorrow first thing before work.

36 minutes ago, Bren said:

I think of the faff we had with the vectra. In the end the guy who fixed it managed it in four hours. The first garage agreed to do the job but then it was excuse time - cams could be snapped, valves could be bent, colorado beetle etc.

If a business only wants to take on stuff they can turn around quickly then it is up to them - the danger is though people end up taking their business elsewhere.

I must be really luck as my local garage will work on most stuff, providing it's not exotic. When I went in the other day, they were doing 4 hours worth of fabricating + welding on a Ford Ka that failed on rust!

The only thing they have refused to do with my card, was the Laguna V6 cambelt - but then most other garages did too. One of the guys phoned up his mate who used to be a Renault tech and told him to avoid as it is a pig of a job. 

7 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Probably not worth the ramp time if it's that easy

It's still a bit odd - when my Civic failed its MOT they were happy to unseize the brake caliper, but told me they didn't think it was worth me paying them an hour's labour to do it. 

57 minutes ago, chadders said:

I've been using one for about 5 years and just leave it on overnight. It's a 7.0 but charges up both a starter and a leisure battery. It replaced a lower capacity one which is still working well.

It's been put on a generic 640CCA battery that hasn't been used since 2018. If the CTEK can restore that to some sort of stability, I'll be impressed!

Miniaturisation means it's a fraction of the size of the conventional Halfrauds 11A charger that I've had since the 1990s.

23 hours ago, Tickman said:

Instead of buying the stickers I just get cars with them already attached, much less hassle.

You could take the @davehedgehog31 route and just get other folk to collect them

IMG_20210312_113453.thumb.jpg.83d295ff07415674a8ce773dedc840c2.jpg

Mrs L1 was a bit bemused this morning when she had to dodge another car in order to get into the garden.

In it's never ending quest to live up to its heritage, the mg6 has now shat it's passenger door locking mechanism. Whilst the bloody door is closed and deadlocked.

I now have to destroy the door card, thanks to a piss poor design and manually force the lock from inside the door itself. Then I can get the door open and the window regulator fitted, along with a new lock  and somehow find a replacement door card. 

I swear, it actually wants to become bean tins!

19 hours ago, Craig the Princess said:

Saab of many shiters failed the mot yesterday, a patch of welding to be sorted tomorrow, a tyre and they couldn't do the emissions test because the coolant hose to the heater popped mid test.

Hopefully back on the road by middle of next week.

Replacement tyre fitted and welding has been done today. Coolant hose due to be delivered Monday so fingers crossed the emissions will be ok.

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

In it's never ending quest to live up to its heritage, the mg6 has now shat it's passenger door locking mechanism. Whilst the bloody door is closed and deadlocked.

I now have to destroy the door card, thanks to a piss poor design and manually force the lock from inside the door itself. Then I can get the door open and the window regulator fitted, along with a new lock  and somehow find a replacement door card. 

I swear, it actually wants to become bean tins!

Ah, I see some quality* design has been carried over from the Rover 75.

In good news, my dad won a premium bond prize this month- the first time since 1954! Shame it was only £25 though. In pics above the o/s suspension bolt to the subframe has gone.  Rick has gone home to find answers to things like, are the bolts and bushes still available, how to drop the rear suspension and what happens if there are more problems? In the meantime I am looking at car and classic and have got the 2cv out of hibernation.

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

Blimey is that the body mount you had hoped it wasn't? Fixable?

Yes, and don’t know! The body isn’t actually rusty, just the bolt has gone-rusted away or snapped we couldn’t tell. The big problem could be that everything has been there since 1994 and everything needs to be replaced. And if everything is available.

20 hours ago, Ghosty said:

2500 pages! 

Is it time to chop off the front half of this thread and archive it somewhere? 

edit - I thought I was posting in the ebay thread!

(Just that I am sick of seeing that Renault Rodeo  when I mis-click and go to the start of the thread)

And while I am thinking of work for the forum gurus, how about a function that detected a duplicate link so as to prevent repeated posts all pointing to the same ad?

38 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Yes, and don’t know! The body isn’t actually rusty, just the bolt has gone-rusted away or snapped we couldn’t tell. The big problem could be that everything has been there since 1994 and everything needs to be replaced. And if everything is available.

It will be fine its a W124.

***** lockdown, there is a CLK doing very little here.

19 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

It will be fine its a W124.

***** lockdown, there is a CLK doing very little here.

Tempting! I’ve just been looking on autotrader,  but I don’t really know what I would replace it with modern (ish) wise. I like the new Alfa Guilia, DS 4, 5 and that’s about it. CCbenz has a nice 320estate at a not excessive £6500.