The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

ECP were having a 45% sale for St Patrick's Day 

ECP are the new MFI, they'd have a sale for the patron saint of fucking bus tickets.

News just in on the Corsa:

Despite a fail I'm bloody delighted with that.

I knew the emissions were going g to fail as it's been sat since November and I didn't have time before starting work to take it a blast.

Number plate light I discovered this morning and I didn't have a bulb to hand/rob.

Drive shaft is a new one on me, it's a Corsa so hopefully get that today.

Under seal probably an arse covering for acknowledging previous repairs. Theres nothing to hide though, the last garage were rather liberal with it though.

Rocker cover oil leak is fixed, just haven't got around to cleaning the residual oil off the engine.

Brakes, again this will be from lack of use.

Hopefully  get it back today and I'm happy that a different garage have pronounced it largely satisfactory.

Screenshot_20210311-100659_Chrome.jpg

After a fault code reader suggested the key fob was the problem with this shitty Poxwagen Touran,  my mate who does vehicle keys came round yesterday. He said it's the 'ring' on the ignition (or something like that) so he's knocked the immobiliser off and the car actually starts and runs again now. The light flashes but bollocks to that. Two other lights (the skiddy car thing and the steering wheel one) were on but have gone off again now, possibly due to the battery being a bit flat and a reasonable drive out sorting them.

5 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

To sour the previous  good news, the garage aren't interested in fitting a CV joint. I dont have time myself so I'll just have to put the car back in my garage for the time being until I have the time to sort it.

The fuck?

For a garage, surely a CV joint is a piece of piss. Air tools would make short work of the suspension bolts, swing the hub out of the way, swap over the joint, nip it all back up again.

I did the outer driver's side one on the Saab myself (ok, at the parents' farm) and that took a couple of hours using hand tools and lots of breaks for tea.

Looks like my £85 Chinese motorbike has just passed it's MOT.  It was actually up to just shy of £300 on eBay, but the lady was still happy to sell it for my 'submit offer' that I'd put in near the start.

24 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

To sour the previous  good news, the garage aren't interested in fitting a CV joint. I dont have time myself so I'll just have to put the car back in my garage for the time being until I have the time to sort it.

Eh!?.

One of the easiest cars to do a CV on.

At least it's a small list for the fails. Which annoyingly, could of all been taken care of in a day by the garage.

Probably not worth the ramp time if it's that easy. Could make the same money clearing a code or something.

I've also found if a garage can't get bits from their preferred supplier they won't deal with it, or won't be happy with using customer supplied parts. 

Always better speaking to folk in person I think. Went down to the garage, the owner's wife looked at the fail sheet and conceded that that could easily be fitted in tomorrow or Monday which is good news.

I really dont want an MOT-less car hanging about my bit just now. I have to get the wheel off the 75 (wheel bolts seized) to get the pads on the near side changed and toute des suite. I have piles of soil in the drive, a skip coming in Monday and 6 tons  of materials coming the day after to get our garden back to the way it was. I've never done a CV joint before and whilst it's probably a piece of piss on a Vauxhall, I simply dont have the time.

For all it will cost, I'd just prefer a 'one and done' approach for something that's so nearly a pass.

5 cars is too flipping many like, but let's call that 4 as the Cavalier is on an extended holiday in Bo'ness at the moment. My parents noticed it the day I brought it in as they were dropping off my mums car for a service. So I'd actually like to see it still there when my Dad brings his Volvo there in August  just to fucking embarrass them.

I'm trying to paint the wheels in the showers, it's like a comedy show. As the car has nowhere to go until Monday morning I have the time to dodge the showers and get a reasonable coat on each wheel. Not done the driver's side yet and this side is definitely 20 foot job so far. I also have a new rear light cluster, if I can work out how to get that in. 

20210311_134932.jpg

5 hours ago, Supernaut said:

The fuck?

For a garage, surely a CV joint is a piece of piss. Air tools would make short work of the suspension bolts, swing the hub out of the way, swap over the joint, nip it all back up again.

I did the outer driver's side one on the Saab myself (ok, at the parents' farm) and that took a couple of hours using hand tools and lots of breaks for tea.

As I commented on another thread a lot of garages don't seem to like working on cars.

Just now, Tim_E said:

Maybe it's because they are drug dealers laundering money. 

Allegedly. 

I think of the faff we had with the vectra. In the end the guy who fixed it managed it in four hours. The first garage agreed to do the job but then it was excuse time - cams could be snapped, valves could be bent, colorado beetle etc.

If a business only wants to take on stuff they can turn around quickly then it is up to them - the danger is though people end up taking their business elsewhere.

The other garage have had the Cavalier for over 2 weeks now and done no more than @Lacquer Peel and I tried, and that took us only about an hour. 

They weren't interested in diagnosing the Corsa engine knock 4 years ago and I ended up changing the whole engine myself for £50.

I'd actually like to get it welded and have it back as I know I will be able to get it running right again.

Still, good of the place down the road to fit the Corsa in after all. Will go and collect it tomorrow first thing before work.

36 minutes ago, Bren said:

I think of the faff we had with the vectra. In the end the guy who fixed it managed it in four hours. The first garage agreed to do the job but then it was excuse time - cams could be snapped, valves could be bent, colorado beetle etc.

If a business only wants to take on stuff they can turn around quickly then it is up to them - the danger is though people end up taking their business elsewhere.

I must be really luck as my local garage will work on most stuff, providing it's not exotic. When I went in the other day, they were doing 4 hours worth of fabricating + welding on a Ford Ka that failed on rust!

The only thing they have refused to do with my card, was the Laguna V6 cambelt - but then most other garages did too. One of the guys phoned up his mate who used to be a Renault tech and told him to avoid as it is a pig of a job. 

7 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Probably not worth the ramp time if it's that easy

It's still a bit odd - when my Civic failed its MOT they were happy to unseize the brake caliper, but told me they didn't think it was worth me paying them an hour's labour to do it.