The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

May I have a bit of a sweary melt down?

Fucking piece of shit diesel PussHat. I've only had it since Thursday and it's in fucking limp mode.  What is it with fucking faffy ever- so- fussy fucking turbo diesels with their fucking snow- flake turbos and other fucking pieces of shit engineering that always just fucking breaks and never seems to just fucking work?

I'm so fucking stressed, I just need a fucking car to go to work, which has been shit thanks to fucking covid, and for the fucking family.

I'm so angry with myself for swapping a fucking working petrol na car that was ok for a fucking piece of shit fucking broken diesel, with fucking mysterious fucking gremlins like fucking always. 

Fucking V fucking W cunts and their over rated fucking shite. I can't fucking afford to go chasing gremlins, neither do I have the fucking time between looking after kids, trying to do fucking work etc etc to kak-handedly attempt and fucking fail to find the problem. 

I just want a fucking daily estate or other large car with a fucking tow bar.

Rant over. Thanks. Sorry. 

shoulda got a diesel Rover 75, the M47R reworked by Rovers and made by Styer Puch are i think far superior to any VAGshite diesel.

obviously the car does have faults, the drop links been a service item, and the clutches been good for only 100,000 miles or so,

the turbos, head gaskets and timing chains are all things though that do not usually give trouble.

the VAG diesels i have driven i have HATED with a vengeance, they are all go or whoa. they were either screaming their fuckin' tits off on the rev limiter, or labouring like fuck with no torque at lower revs.

and usually i didn't like anything else about the cars, their bland looks, their rubbish gearboxes, the suspension made from cement and seats made from rubble, and so on!

1 minute ago, Tim_E said:

Otherwise, yes. 

I'll probably just drive it in limp mode until I can splash out on some decent shite and scrap the fucker...

And breeeeeethe! I had a moment like that a year ago when it failed the MOT, but had a calm down and a sensible look at what actually needed doing and cracked on, you will do the same after some sleep, its a decent motor, never any engine management issues in my ownership..

1 minute ago, Floatylight said:

And breeeeeethe! I had a moment like that a year ago when it failed the MOT, but had a calm down and a sensible look at what actually needed doing and cracked on, you will do the same after some sleep, its a decent motor, never any engine management issues in my ownership..

I've had a few breaths. I've put the kids to bed and managed not to get grumpy with them too much, at least I hope so!

4 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

What I'm pissed off with is me, I didn't need to go swapping around cars, but I got tempted and now I've got rid of a boring but steady car that was giving me no trouble at all.

The thing about 75 diesels is that while the engine is usually very reliable, it's the rest of the car that can be a bit needy. If you dont mind going to work on a frosty morning with the door held shut with a ratchet strap, air bag light on and at least 2 calipers binding, then it could be a shout.

10 hours ago, Tim_E said:

What I'm pissed off with is me, I didn't need to go swapping around cars, but I got tempted and now I've got rid of a boring but steady car that was giving me no trouble at all.

It happens.  Many's the time when I've swapped something out for a 'new' thing because I was vaguely bored of the old one.  Still kicking myself for swapping out a Paiste Dark Dry ride cymbal for a (very nice ) Istanbul more than ten years ago...

But you will get it sorted.  Absolutely.  One way or another. 

12 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

It happens.  Many's the time when I've swapped something out for a 'new' thing because I was vaguely bored of the old one.  Still kicking myself for swapping out a Paiste Dark Dry ride cymbal for a (very nice ) Istanbul more than ten years ago...

But you will get it sorted.  Absolutely.  One way or another. 

I bought a black SG special once upon a time and then swapped to for a Rickenbacker 330. While thr Rickenbacker was nice in later years I wished I'd have kept the SG even though they don't know what balance means. 

Waiting (ex)pensively for its MOT tomorrow at 9am.

I've had it MOTd and welded at the same garage  for the past 11 years and they had missed big bits of rot for goodness knows how many MOTs.  Welded up last year but it will be interesting to see what a different garage makes of it as I'm never going back to the one that currently has had the Cavalier for a fortnight and made almost no progress with anything. I dont want another of my cars sitting there for a similar amount of time.

Need to find out one way or another, hopefully  it won't be a disaster.

20210310_115947.jpg

16 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Fucking piece of shit diesel PussHat. I've only had it since Thursday and it's in fucking limp mode.  What is it with fucking faffy ever- so- fussy fucking turbo diesels with their fucking snow- flake turbos and other fucking pieces of shit engineering that always just fucking breaks and never seems to just fucking work?

I'm so fucking stressed, I just need a fucking car to go to work, which has been shit thanks to fucking covid, and for the fucking family.

I'm so angry with myself for swapping a fucking working petrol na car that was ok for a fucking piece of shit fucking broken diesel, with fucking mysterious fucking gremlins like fucking always. 

Fucking V fucking W cunts and their over rated fucking shite. I can't fucking afford to go chasing gremlins, neither do I have the fucking time between looking after kids, trying to do fucking work etc etc to kak-handedly attempt and fucking fail to find the problem. 

TL;DR should have bought a Honda Accord CTDi. 

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

MXS_5.0-web-big-1.jpeg

Have splashed out on one of these to see whether they are really are that good.

I'm too tight fisted for the 5A version, but I have three of the 0.8A versions for keeping my cars topped in storage. Good units and unlike many the others they turn back on after power loss. 

I also wanted a unit of known decent quality as the shed my cars are stored in are also home to a lot of expensive exotic tin. Last thing I want is being liable for all that burning to a crisp because my Amazon cheapy charger caught fire. 

Apart from the 0.8A units being cheaper, I like the fact the energy they can put out is limited. So in a fault scenario the damage is much more limited. 11W of heat/energy going into a battery on a 0.8A charger versus 70W of heat/energy on a 5.0A charger. 

For those batteries that don't need to be maintained and charged quickly, I have a traditional 2/8/17A charger. 

20 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Is it a B5? If so I used to have one that used to do this randomly. This probably isn't Volkswagen recommended but on the odd occasion that it used to do it, switching it off and back on and revving the shit out of it at a stand still used to clear it. It was a sensor (I can't remember which one, it was about 10 years ago) which used to confuse it self and giving it a load of boot seemed to do the trick. Happened about three times to me and each time this worked. 

11 minutes ago, SiC said:

I'm too tight fisted for the 5A version, ..... 

The only reason I could splash out is because much of the cost was defrayed by an Amazon gift voucher given to me by Admiral as a thank you for taking up their Multi-Car Policy covering the CX and the diesel Borat.

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Waiting (ex)pensively for its MOT tomorrow at 9am.

I've had it MOTd and welded at the same garage  for the past 11 years and they had missed big bits of rot for goodness knows how many MOTs.  Welded up last year but it will be interesting to see what a different garage makes of it as I'm never going back to the one that currently has had the Cavalier for a fortnight and made almost no progress with anything. I dont want another of my cars sitting there for a similar amount of time.

Need to find out one way or another, hopefully  it won't be a disaster.

Chodspeed.

The T5 of multiple shiters passed its MOT last week at the first time of asking. Which is the first time I've ever had that happen!

58 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

I hear that 246k miles is like the 27 club of cars...

Ha! I'm not sure; Alison seems to want to keep going, so I'll do what I can to make this possible! 

Running noticeably better than before. There had been some uneven running. 

And full on 'Oh fuck' lamps and two cylinder running until the Engine reached Operating Temperature! 

All sorted now. Incidentally, some years ago a Garage I used to use informed me that a mechanically identical 1.4TDI was on 400,000 miles. 

Just regular servicing! 

Amazing! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

2 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Picking Alison up after her Injector Wiring Loom was replaced. 

2 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Ha! I'm not sure; Alison seems to want to keep going,

Is this a car?  And if so - could you just...you know... use that word instead? 

It's a fairly well established bit of terminology and everyone can then feel reassured that you're not fitting a wiring loom and associated paraphernalia to your wife like an even worse version of the Human Centipede?

1 minute ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Is this a car?  And if so - could you just...you know... use that word instead? 

It's a fairly well established bit of terminology and everyone can then feel reassured that you're not fitting a wiring loom and associated paraphernalia to your wife like an even worse version of the Human Centipede?

♥️♥️♥️♥️ YOU OK HUN? ♥️♥️♥️♥️

6 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Ha! I'm not sure; Alison seems to want to keep going, so I'll do what I can to make this possible! 

I'm very much of the opinion there is no such thing as a End of Life car. A vehicle is capable of continuing to keep going for as long as an owner is prepared to put money into it and fix it when it goes wrong. 

The phrase, "It's Just a £xxxx Car" is complete nonsense. If everyone had that attitude, there would be no such thing as classic cars.