The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well came out today to take Mrs to hospital to visit the youngest who is in for a couple of nights, to find both nearside tyres flat. The ginger disastra was pressed into service. Now I'm back need to try to get enough air in to limp to a tyre fitters. If they have replacements in stock.20210302_121525.thumb.jpg.566747828464f529d0895c3ff8e9cace.jpg20210302_121540.thumb.jpg.859f95d0a716c870a7c4837d5e888504.jpg20210302_121533.thumb.jpg.b9db99630b414773c8d35d52e90f46eb.jpg

26 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Well came out today to take Mrs to hospital to visit the youngest who is in for a couple of nights, to find both nearside tyres flat. The ginger disastra was pressed into service. Now I'm back need to try to get enough air in to limp to a tyre fitters. If they have replacements in stock.20210302_121525.thumb.jpg.566747828464f529d0895c3ff8e9cace.jpg20210302_121540.thumb.jpg.859f95d0a716c870a7c4837d5e888504.jpg20210302_121533.thumb.jpg.b9db99630b414773c8d35d52e90f46eb.jpg

Hope your kiddo is OK chap.

21 minutes ago, Wilko220 said:

What happened to the thread about the rescued / not rescued green Hillman Hunter estate? 

Just had a look to see if there had been any updates and got error code D701SWL or something.

image.thumb.png.f3fbd2b33d9fd8ff70019be8da7ae42f.png

Unless i was really drunk last night or imagined it, it had turned up as breaking for parts on facebook or something

Carina stuff...

Alright you lot, I'll see if I can do something, but seriously I think a commitment to purchase has already been made. IF something can be done the good news is that for the time being there is storage, where it's sat is my Dad's house. Only problem is that he's moving.... next door. I jest, but there isn't the storage next door and I think the family intends to sell the land that the current house is sitting on.

Just twigged why I was with my aunt to collect it. Total car check says that it was registered 2 weeks before my sister was born and I remember being shipped off to various relatives to give my poor Mum some respite from a lively 4 year old. 🤣

Now that I've recalled the reg plate, some info. It's done 128k, with an almighty 10k done over the past 10 years and 500 between the most recent MOTs. There's ticket until August too. From what I know the MOTs will have been carried out by some extended relations, but fairly. The most recent advisories are as follows: 

Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))

Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))

Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

Nearside Front Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect (5.3.2 (b))

Offside rear lower wing corroded

Offside Front Floor and lower sill corroded

How lucky are we feeling?!

So having not been in a good mindset for over a year things are feeling on the up again, so I decided to have a looooong overdue look over of the LS400...Oh boy.

For starters my fear of it having a broken rear spring is confirmed, I know that it's a pig of a job thanks to @rantingYoof having had one of his changed not long ago. The other bit is rust in the inner rear wheel arches, and the metal feels a bit too thin that I already know it's too far to save without some cutting and welding. And a wheel stud broke off. 

Thankfully, the wheel stud is piss easy to do it seems.  The spring is a ball ache, as its a remove the rear seats job, which being an LS I'm assuming is easier said than done! The rust I'm part tempted to attempt myself once I see just how bad it is for cutting/welding, failing that I do know a few people who'd do it for beer money(Well, a few crates and a bottle of good Whisky), but I'll do the screwdriver test later and see.

Fun times lay ahead I'm sure. 🤣

Boring car update; after the trials and tribulations with a sometime-working rear light and a non-working rear indicator. eBay had plugs but they were at least £17+ delivered, bulb holders were £20+. However, there was a cheap s/h whole rear light complete with bulb holders and plug for £20, so I bought that.

It arrived today and I set about cutting a bit of wire insulation to reveal the copper wiring underneath in anticipation that I'd be cutting into the rear light wiring in the car. 

After work I set out, in the cold, to go about sorting as much of this as I could.

20210302_171655.thumb.jpg.ce0a531b02c7774f7a1f4db7626c027f.jpg

Firstly, as per usual with bloody French cars, the wiring was completely different:

20210302_171722.thumb.jpg.6aed191f730712e4d599644c2d7bc789.jpg

Plus there were more wires in the new plug than the current one.

I decided to plug in the current plug into the rear of the current bulb holders to see if it fit and on the off chance it might work and low behold it worked! 

20210302_172200.thumb.jpg.5592a376c2fcfa4d115c4443c2e3a3a1.jpg

I actually have a full set of r/h rear lights again with a fully working indicator! Plus I have a spare plug to use. It is the same but inexplicably has more wiring. So a bonus, on a French car.

5 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

If you need anything just shout mate. 

13 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Boring car update; after the trials and tribulations with a sometime-working rear light and a non-working rear indicator. eBay had plugs but they were at least £17+ delivered, bulb holders were £20+. However, there was a cheap s/h whole rear light complete with bulb holders and plug for £20, so I bought that.

It arrived today and I set about cutting a bit of wire insulation to reveal the copper wiring underneath in anticipation that I'd be cutting into the rear light wiring in the car. 

After work I set out, in the cold, to go about sorting as much of this as I could.

20210302_171655.thumb.jpg.ce0a531b02c7774f7a1f4db7626c027f.jpg

Firstly, as per usual with bloody French cars, the wiring was completely different:

20210302_171722.thumb.jpg.6aed191f730712e4d599644c2d7bc789.jpg

Plus there were more wires in the new plug than the current one.

I decided to plug in the current plug into the rear of the current bulb holders to see if it fit and on the off chance it might work and low behold it worked! 

20210302_172200.thumb.jpg.5592a376c2fcfa4d115c4443c2e3a3a1.jpg

I actually have a full set of r/h rear lights again with a fully working indicator! Plus I have a spare plug to use. It is the same but inexplicably has more wiring. So a bonus, on a French car.

Actually quite surprised this worked - normally it’s not an issue with the light unit but the wiring loom. Good stuff though. 

Managed to get a replacement window regulator for the 6 from AliExpress, at the bargain price of £37... The local dealers wanted £160! (Genuine SAIC part too.)

It's going to be mid April before it gets here, so I've strategically placed some tape to help hold the window up. 

The bad news for any other lunatic with one of these wonderful* vehicles, is that MG UK have very quietly decided that the 6 is now classed as an "outgoing" model in the uk. This means that they are going to shortly be dropping all dealer support for it, so parts will have to be imported from China.

This is a ballache as they haven't signed up to the 10 year parts availability agreement and a lot of parts, particularly for the diesel models are now NLA. I know of one 2016 car that has been scrapped at 28k simply because you can't get a clutch or flywheel for it.... On the plus side, if you fancy being an utter fool like me, you'll be able to pick up a mk 1 petrol for even less than fuck all shortly, just don't expect to be able to fix it when it inevitably breaks .

3 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

There’s one on eBay for £37k. That’s insane - you can get a low mileage DB9 V12 for that, and maybe half a set of spark plugs thrown in.

Out of curiosity I looked on autotrader and there were 5. All around that price. 

Most of the Toyota IQs were about £3k

Sounds like I've missed the annual meltdown while I've had a couple of weeks working late. I will miss the HorseBollox project updates.

I've been so flat out at work the past month, trying to sort out mortgage and finances everything car related has been put on hold until my next week off (15th March) and the jobs on the cars have increase.

Suzuki needs brake shoes and possibly drums, I may also need to fit a new clutch soon as I'm getting a lot of judder and it slips with just the lightest of pressure on the pedal (can't find an adjuster). Need to check over the brakes on the Toyota as well and change its front wing. Both cars need a service as well.

And someone drove into the garage door last weekend 😕

A few weeks ago I was feeling brave and bought this stolen recovered C70 off a SYNETIQ salvage auction in Hampshire.

It landed in Belfast last night. Roof works, T5 roars and the GearTronic box seems fine.  I'll get to know it more over the next few weeks but looks like the risk paid off for once....

IMG_2274.jpeg

22 minutes ago, R9UKE said:

A few weeks ago I was feeling brave and bought this stolen recovered C70 off a SYNETIQ salvage auction in Hampshire.

It landed in Belfast last night. Roof works, T5 roars and the GearTronic box seems fine.  I'll get to know it more over the next few weeks but looks like the risk paid off for once....

IMG_2274.jpeg

Oof that's lovely!

2 hours ago, R9UKE said:

IMG_2274.jpeg

Welcome back!