The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

We had the Lanchester out of the garage for the first time this year and attempted to fit the door cards.  Easy afternoon's work thought I.  We got two doors cards mostly installed, it was what you might call a palaver.  Called it quits for today and we'll pick it up another day, probably not tomorrow.  On the plus side, they are looking rather nice now though you'll have to take my word for it because I failed to take any photographs but one rather blurry on of some screws.

Bluebird electrical fun continues. Every single bayonet lamp in the rear clusters is corroded in place - probably as a result of the perished seal. Most of them have sheared off on removal, so crimp-tastic there as new holders have to be fitted.

Hopefully, replacing this will sort out the issues with the brake lights. Then it's just a case of replacing the window regulator, when the part arrives (should be Saturday).

It's parts for this that cause hold-ups, so difficult to get hold of or only from a bloke on ebay. Capris are far easier!

On 2/27/2021 at 8:26 PM, wuvvum said:

Seems slightly odd to buy a new car two days before the plate change...

Hadn’t occurred to me before you mentioned it.  Sales targets and probably pre registered or ex demo and want it off the lot ( guy salmon in ascot).

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

I’ve no idea what this ( probably mclaren) is though.

42FCF750-D91A-4FB6-8131-D69548036A22.jpeg

£1.4million elva speedster according to  Evo. And unusually they cut back production as they couldn’t sell them all. Plus for 1.5 million the windscreen is an optional extra!

https://www.evo.co.uk/mclaren/201626/mclaren-elva-production-run-reduced-to-249-units

Ah dammit, my Aunt is sending her J reg Carina II GLi Executive to the scrappy. Lightly used as a hack over the past 15 years for the family business, it's done a good turn and far from mint. As it happens I went with her to go pick it up from Motorbase Canterbury (the family had purchased a good few cars through them over the preceding years, with one further Lexus and a Carina E to come before my Grandad passed). It's those little memories that flood back at times like this, haha!

I was thinking only last week that I'd quite like to get my hands on it as a first project especially as there are fewer and fewer of them about, but alas it was not to be.

If anyone finds a hatch GLi Exec in Blue Mist mica metallic (that one was my Dad's one), feel free to drop me a message... :-D 

2 hours ago, N19 said:

Bluebird electrical fun continues. Every single bayonet lamp in the rear clusters is corroded in place - probably as a result of the perished seal. Most of them have sheared off on removal, so crimp-tastic there as new holders have to be fitted.

Hopefully, replacing this will sort out the issues with the brake lights. Then it's just a case of replacing the window regulator, when the part arrives (should be Saturday).

It's parts for this that cause hold-ups, so difficult to get hold of or only from a bloke on ebay. Capris are far easier!

Went to get a new bulb holder, discovered motorfactors shut at 6pm. At 6.30pm. Damn. Also discovered that a Mondeo left for a day with the interior lights on will still start. 

After some time spent with a chisel and a vice chipping away at a blob of glass and corroded metal... Behold, good as new. Celebrated by tidying up the bench. 

IMG_20210301_194052.jpg

IMG_20210301_194109.jpg

On 2/28/2021 at 4:43 PM, Cavcraft said:

Whoop-de-fucking-do, this 'best cars in the world' shit house wank mobile Poxwagen Touran doesn't start now.  It's probably karma for daring to start cleaning the inside, or perhaps that the boot deciding to start opening again yesterday spooked the car into refusing to fire up this afternoon. It starts for about 1-2 seconds, then dies again and won't be revved, so it must be fuel related imho. 

It's a horrible, rusty shitty twat of a thing. Aside from (grudgingly admitted) driving ok and pulling well, it is spectacularly  fucking awful and the ungrateful bastard couldn't even wait until there was just a few weeks MOT left before it shit itself. I'll try and get it fixed if it's cheap then run the wanker into the ground.

It was Salvage rebuilds UK, a red vivaro. Borked Cam position sensor, some loose plugz and possibly a blocked DPF where a pressure sensor cuts fuel.

Brake leak on the passat easily found and fixed today, flexible hose had come loose. Nipped it up and seems good. My own fault I think, I put a new caliper on in 2019 and presumably didn't tighten the union quite enough.

Flushed with this success I had a fiddle with the driver's door lock as it has taken to not latching. A good squirt of penetrating oil seemed to fix, maybe temporarily but easy to do again.

All good, and brings my working to borked ratio up to 2:5.

3 hours ago, Slappy said:

Ah dammit, my Aunt is sending her J reg Carina II GLi Executive to the scrappy. Lightly used as a hack over the past 15 years for the family business, it's done a good turn and far from mint. As it happens I went with her to go pick it up from Motorbase Canterbury (the family had purchased a good few cars through them over the preceding years, with one further Lexus and a Carina E to come before my Grandad passed). It's those little memories that flood back at times like this, haha!

I was thinking only last week that I'd quite like to get my hands on it as a first project especially as there are fewer and fewer of them about, but alas it was not to be.

If anyone finds a hatch GLi Exec in Blue Mist mica metallic (that one was my Dad's one), feel free to drop me a message... :-D 

STOP HER! I had  J-reg Carina Estate, solid car. My hand is up, or roffle?

After almost a year with a couple of SORN'd cars on the drive, it occurred to me that instead of filling the 944 boot with an old battery charger & an extension lead, I could wire it up to the CTEK that's fitted permanently into my bay for EHU duties. One very expensive bit of wire later & the Porsche now has just an elegant picnic basket behind the rear seats.

DSCN5670.thumb.JPG.99c0ce6a6ead073f2dc6484c740d966a.JPG

Fitted new rear discs and pads to the wife’s car last Saturday morning,

10 minutes ago I got a text from the wife to say the brakes are now making a squeaking sound and they were fine before I “messed” with it 🤦‍♂️

Well came out today to take Mrs to hospital to visit the youngest who is in for a couple of nights, to find both nearside tyres flat. The ginger disastra was pressed into service. Now I'm back need to try to get enough air in to limp to a tyre fitters. If they have replacements in stock.20210302_121525.thumb.jpg.566747828464f529d0895c3ff8e9cace.jpg20210302_121540.thumb.jpg.859f95d0a716c870a7c4837d5e888504.jpg20210302_121533.thumb.jpg.b9db99630b414773c8d35d52e90f46eb.jpg

26 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Well came out today to take Mrs to hospital to visit the youngest who is in for a couple of nights, to find both nearside tyres flat. The ginger disastra was pressed into service. Now I'm back need to try to get enough air in to limp to a tyre fitters. If they have replacements in stock.20210302_121525.thumb.jpg.566747828464f529d0895c3ff8e9cace.jpg20210302_121540.thumb.jpg.859f95d0a716c870a7c4837d5e888504.jpg20210302_121533.thumb.jpg.b9db99630b414773c8d35d52e90f46eb.jpg

Hope your kiddo is OK chap.

21 minutes ago, Wilko220 said:

What happened to the thread about the rescued / not rescued green Hillman Hunter estate? 

Just had a look to see if there had been any updates and got error code D701SWL or something.

image.thumb.png.f3fbd2b33d9fd8ff70019be8da7ae42f.png

Unless i was really drunk last night or imagined it, it had turned up as breaking for parts on facebook or something