The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, reb said:

The Volvo was all set to only fail on bulbs, then it burst a hose during the brake test. Slightly scary stuff that.

Screenshot_20210225-114745.thumb.png.c6d42bc93b656204b984358d7610c43e.png

I'm chosing to take the course of action where I hand over a wad of cash in exchange for this being rectified, it's on the whole much less stressful I find.

Wise choice, liked for it bursting on test and not on you after.

Call me old fashioned, but I tend to just call cars by the name they've already been given.  Every single member of my family refers to Mini as "Bessie" which is what my Nan called it.  I do not.

We did have a bit of fun talking about a name for the Sierra but then "Sierra" or "That old shitheap" still seems to be favoured.

Just replaced both rear dampers on a friends 14 plate W204 c180 as one was causing a noise sounding like a failing anti-roll bar link rod.
Mercedes wanted £183 each for rear dampers but local motorfactors got us both Meyle HD ones with top mounts for £170.
An hour a side and a cup of tea later and wafting silence is resumed.
Oh and its left hand drive.e10c0edbad7188650a623360c1f9bda4.jpgf07f94d8ba84045f677f8180c27472a5.jpg

9 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

My cars don't have names. For much the same reason my kitchen table, desk lamp, wheelie bin and all other inanimate objects in my life don't have names.

You'll be one of them there normal folk then.

I often think it would be nice to be normal, but I think I'd miss the voices in my head..

I'd definitely not miss not being able to concentrate for shit for more than a minute and half though.

I had an interesting drive in the E36 Ti for its MOT today as haven’t used it for about a year as I stopped to get some petrol and a guy at the pumps said your car is on fire (a little smoke) but luckily what he meant was my front NSF brake was binding  on.

I slammed my foot on the brakes and went on my way merrily to the MOT station about 25 miles away and it was fine afterwards and told the garage and all was good.

The car even went straight through without an advisory which I wasn’t expecting after sitting for about a year and the brakes are working great so that will teach me not to dump my car up the side of the house for a year.

4A15D647-1BB1-4E07-96FA-5FA82D33062B.jpeg

I've got a set of pads to fit tomorrow. The man that owns the car set off downhill to go to the shops and found he had no brakes. Some pumping got it to stop and he found that the pad lining had come away from the backplate and disintegrated. The car has been sat round most of the time since March, so maybe that accounts for it. I did a Corolla last month where just one pad had become crumbly and had to be replaced, but that car had only done 1300 miles in 18 months.