The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

23 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I just call mine Bastard, or it's full name Temperamental Bastard when it finds new and inventive ways to break.

The Fiat, The Merc and The 2CV are my fleet names. It’s a car not a sentient being ( although the ex C5 was particularly bloody minded). I agree with @barefootabout anthropomorphism.

In my case it was numerous awkward and hard to get parts breaking in short order (£650 for a front suspension lower arm, key dock failing at £190+ coding at the local mg dealership, lower engine mount failing and now NLA as the supplier in China has ceased manufacturing)

The wife's ssangyong is just known as the Tivoli.

On 2/22/2021 at 10:36 PM, MarvinsMom said:

finally got the Rover home after having the alternator, belts and thermostat replaced.

it had been at George's in town for the last fortnight getting that done. it would have been sooner, had York Road Motorfactors sent the right alternator belt first time, and not sent the wrong one twice before managing to send the right part. 

all those jobs are a proper pain on a diesel 75, requiring both o/s engine mounts to be removed and the engine manipulated one way to get to the alternator, and then back to get at the thermostat, and back again to get at the belt tensioners.

luckily only one of the 4 bolts holding the stat on broke, George did get the remains of it drilled and tapped, before getting it all  back together.

the car runs mint, and the flickering on the lights, something the car has done for all  of the 5 and a half years that i have owned it, is no more! though seeing the temperature gauge sit at the 9 o'clock position is alarming, i dunno when it last did that, no seriously i don't remember when it last did that. it must have been sometime ago.

obviously this isn't cheap, with the bill been more than frankly the cart is worth, what is a 20 year old Rover 75 worth, with 205,000 miles on the clock? bugger all realistically, though as George said, its in pretty good nick,  all told

And, its a good old bus, its never let us down, and even when its broke, it hasn't left me or Kerry stranded, its not too bad on the derv, its a nice place to sit and i like it both to drive and look at, it is the perfect work horse.

plus i feel i got off lightly, in the yard next to it was a 16 plate Renault Scenic, the owners of which will be left with a £3-4k bill! that has suffered some sort of electrical melt down, they have apparently been driving it for sometime with a bust ignition switch, so busted that when George took the cowl  off it all fell to bits (£500-odd to buy, exchange, except this one won't be,cos its in bits) and a new steering rack (Renault don't stock them, its getting a 2nd hand one) which is out of a scrapped 17plate one with a borked engine. you gotta love the DCi engine,  still shit after all these years..... well this had been in the breakers for a couple of days, and the carcass was already well  picked over!!

next over Georges pit is another 75, this one too wanting a new thermostat. Wilco-Motorsave in town had tried to change it, they have snapped 3 of the bolts, and mutilated the 4th one before declaring to the owner that the car is now scrap, no wonder then that both Kerry and myself are both very particular about who looks at our cars!!

Renault 5 thermostat in top hose. Job jobbed.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:02 PM, brownnova said:

Auf Wiedersehen! 

After nearly six years in my ownership (a new record) I sold the MX5 today... the rust was too much for me to tackle.

Sorry to hear that. After losing too many 2cvs to rust over the years and my dad's MX5 being dragged away for parts last year, I can't bear to part with my own MX5.

Instead it has been happily rotting away in the garage for a couple of years. Really need to tackle the usual spots to see if it can be revived.

On balance, whilst I do love the MX5, I'd prefer to have kept a 2cv going. I miss mine terribly. Just doesn't feel right being without one. So I think you did the right thing.

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to start naming my cars in order to fit in.  Just on the first page of the forum we currently have updates on Winston the Lupo, Audrey and Bertie the Rover 75s, Alison the Audi A2 and Josephine the Renault Espace...

My W203 is just "the Benz"

The Aldi has a bunch of names, like "piece of shite", it really depends on which unobtainium part decides to break, or which stupid design decision turns a 10 minute job into a 1 hour one

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

Came out of work to the alarm going bells across the meadows and this...

IMG_20210225_105819.thumb.jpg.aca3198bcd2e707693ecf47f82c3ea49.jpg

So that faint clunk I heard from the passenger door this morning will be the regulator snapping then... Looks like another wallet lightening session on AliExpress is in order. 😶

All moderns are, etc

Put a broom pole in the door?

A common 00's Renault/VAG fix!

1 minute ago, SiC said:

Put a broom pole in the door?

A common 00's Renault/VAG fix!

It might yet come to that. If I can work out how the bloody door card comes off without destroying it.

A mate of mine has described the mg6 as the perfect storm- chinesium parts, assembled by pissed off Brummies!