The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I’m shear those sheep puns are woolly unacceptable.

Happy news here, the ex- @Vantman Accord now has a fresh MOT after the replacement of a perished CV boot. Paul the Garage says nothing to worry about with this one, which is nice.

Here it is being hailed on the other day.

B9923204-A378-4AF7-8B49-84006786A621.thumb.png.02bb6304c92d8dfeff61386f2fb54a2e.png

Edit: I don’t know what those weird black not-video things are doing at the top of this post. I can’t delete them. We’ll have to live with them.

Just North Korean spybot things, probably.

Today I dug the Triumph out for the first time in months. I should be using it more but I'm too lazy to shuffle everything around. Further hampered by the building of my model railway. Not something that ought to get in the way you'd have thought, but the half dozen of you that peruse the miniature railwayshite thread will know I've been having major expansion in my loft. So I set up a temporary workbench with a chopsaw on in front of the Triumph that I could pull in and out but I was too lazy to break it down to get to the Triumph. And then winter came and being a postman means December is a write off because I'm at work for the entire daylight hours. 

Anyway this is all feeble excuses. I've been giving it a once over the last few days as it's been stood so long. Pumped up the tyres, checked all the levels (clutch fluid was a bit low) and lights. Brake lights weren't working but a wiggle of the switch got those on. One sidelight is very dim but that will be a poor earth, I can sort that out once it is out. 

So the reshuffle happened this afternoon. 

IMG_20210223_162159.thumb.jpg.8a73529a08c463d8ca7cdb23a5ff044a.jpg

Favorit is now in the garage having a rest for a week or so. The reshuffle is quite a convoluted affair, there's also a Felicia out of shot. The drive holds two cars and the garage one but they are line astern so you have to get them all out and put them back in the required order so once it is out it's staying out for a while. Unless it breaks. 

We've only had the dog since November so he's not been in it before. 

Check mirrors. 

IMG_20210223_161016.thumb.jpg.95d161534d6438d7a70683c5369c5b02.jpg

Check blind spot. 

IMG_20210223_161014.thumb.jpg.57edeca772bbf4f852aa243dd38d2c05.jpg

And we're good to go. 

My bargain Rover 620 breezed its first MoT in my ownership.

63D68288-F03A-4713-92BD-EB655EC82E64.thumb.png.8c369e00657935855861aeb65c4e7437.png

Advisories for perished upper ball joint boots (I’ve looked and they are available separately), and one front tyre worn on the edge. The uneven tyre wear is caused by the tracking being out, the steering wheel is straight but it always wanders to the left if you let go of the steering wheel.

I’ll have to get the tracking done. Shame about the tyre as they’re newish matching Goodyears.

15 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

My bargain Rover 620 breezed its first MoT in my ownership.

63D68288-F03A-4713-92BD-EB655EC82E64.thumb.png.8c369e00657935855861aeb65c4e7437.png

Advisories for perished upper ball joint boots (I’ve looked and they are available separately)

TADTS. Been an advisory on mine for years. Superglue worked this year again so the fronts haven't been mentioned in my ownership. Didn't get away with the rears in 2019, mind, so just went the whole hog and replaced the upper arms completely

balls.png

1 minute ago, clayts450 said:

TADTS. Been an advisory on mine for years. Superglue worked this year again so the fronts haven't been mentioned in my ownership. Didn't get away with the rears in 2019, mind, so just went the whole hog and replaced the upper arms completely

balls.png

When did they actually become a fail then? I thought the only boots they could fail on were CV and steering rack!

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

I’m shear those sheep puns are woolly unacceptable.

Happy news here, the ex- @Vantman Accord now has a fresh MOT after the replacement of a perished CV boot. Paul the Garage says nothing to worry about with this one, which is nice.

Here it is being hailed on the other day.

B9923204-A378-4AF7-8B49-84006786A621.thumb.png.02bb6304c92d8dfeff61386f2fb54a2e.png

Edit: I don’t know what those weird black not-video things are doing at the top of this post. I can’t delete them. We’ll have to live with them.

Just North Korean spybot things, probably.

No idea what they were, but I seem to have managed to delete them.

1 hour ago, Angrydicky said:

When did they actually become a fail then? I thought the only boots they could fail on were CV and steering rack!

when the inspection manual was revamped in 2018. Any  balljoint (steering or suspension) dust cover no longer preventing an ingress of dirt etc is a major fail , severely deteriorated is a minor.

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to start naming my cars in order to fit in.  Just on the first page of the forum we currently have updates on Winston the Lupo, Audrey and Bertie the Rover 75s, Alison the Audi A2 and Josephine the Renault Espace...

Please don't, cars shouldn't even be gendered. I blame fucking Walt Disney.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to start naming my cars in order to fit in.  Just on the first page of the forum we currently have updates on Winston the Lupo, Audrey and Bertie the Rover 75s, Alison the Audi A2 and Josephine the Renault Espace...

Meet "Ron"

20210222_172746.thumb.jpg.abe11658e1a1cdbcefa4a7ec368d2286.jpg

Screenshot_20210224-180359.jpg.b5d763f0149a1a14e72dff2e833b83b0.jpg

21 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

My cars are just named 'the shit one' and 'the other shit one'

I used to attend a Writers Group. A bit of educational fun; y'know... Anyway, I'd just bought Alison and I was telling my friends how lovely and engaging Alison is to drive. When I realised that another WG Member was also called Alison. 

It took some time to explain that Alison isn't named after Alison and that it was all to do with Alliteration; Alison the Almighty Aluminium Audi A2... 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Leyland Worldmaster
Tidied up a bit...

19 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

I used to attend a Writers Group. A bit of educational fun; y'know... Anyway, I'd just bought Alison and I was telling my friends how lovely and engaging Alison is to drive. When I realised that another WG Member was also called Alison. 

It took some time to explain that Alison isn't named after Alison and that it was all to do with Alliteration; Alison the Almighty Aluminium Audi A2... 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Sounds more like an AA group to me :)

Bluebird electrickery fun continues. Having realised that there are two pumps and they had been swapped over, I removed the faulty one for repair, and promptly covered myself in washer fluid. Mmm antifreeze. It's borked, so another has been ordered up.

The brake light was next on the list, and proved to have a bulb sheared off inside the socket. The only solution to which was to cut the cables, remove the whole thing to the bench to extract the remnants and then crimp repair. For info, crimp repairs inside a bluebird boot with v little cable slack aren't fun. It needs a bit more tidying up before I am happy with it.

Hopefully by Saturday the new window regulator will have arrived and that plus the washer pump can be fitted. I anticipate the rest of the rear lamps are similarly rusted/seized in position, so will  order up some new P21 holders and swap them out.

That done it'll only be the reverse light switch to fit...

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I just call mine Bastard, or it's full name Temperamental Bastard when it finds new and inventive ways to break.

40 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Past tense (and likely reason) noted... 😉

On 2/20/2021 at 9:02 AM, HMC said:

Wow was that recently purchased paint stripper? I got some recently and it seemed a LOT less effective. Presumably it’s now more ecologically friendly.

This is what we use at my mates Body shop599167437_IMG_20210224_145330_hdr2.thumb.jpg.bc40cf872780eb7a2baa227a7c5b8f19.jpg

Paint/pour into panel then cover with plastic sheet and leave until the paint goes crinckley and scrap off2073316481_IMG_20210224_1453382.thumb.jpg.7c1704c6683b761fbf1cbeb3967b842a.jpg

4 minutes ago, rusty998 said:

This is what we use at my mates Body shop599167437_IMG_20210224_145330_hdr2.thumb.jpg.bc40cf872780eb7a2baa227a7c5b8f19.jpg

Paint/pour into panel then cover with plastic sheet and leave until the paint goes crinckley and scrap off2073316481_IMG_20210224_1453382.thumb.jpg.7c1704c6683b761fbf1cbeb3967b842a.jpg

Yep, that's the stuff that is now supposed to be supplied for professional use under strict conditions because dichloromethane, as it says on the tin.

Still freely available to the public in Australia and Panicky Yank land though... and on eBay where not too many questions get asked where it is sold as Synstrip and the like.

1 hour ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

I snapped this for Lightbulb Fun on the way back from a particularly stimulating Frisbee Session... 

DSC_7718.JPG

blimey thats a find, I could not figure out what it was, so I knew it must be something rare LOL

so I asked a friend about it

image.thumb.png.271ff68da02e5305edae51b0fda7353b.png

and going by his reaction I think it might be LOL!, we think its a Phosco P156 for those curious, a 1950's  low pressure sodium street light for 140W SO/H SOI/H lamps originally although today would run 90W SOX lamps