The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Fuel that mustie1 would be proud of

Drained down the Dolomite tank as I didn't like the idea of having so much fuel about in the rear end while I welded. Not least that you got a whiff of fuel when underneath.

Now got 25 litres of unleaded in dubious shape. Not sure I trust putting it back in any cars, so may have to slowly run it through the lawnmowers in the coming summer season. 

The quantity of rusty water in it explains why I couldn't get it running late last year.

PXL_20210219_203510223.thumb.jpg.2731992cce2e0816862fcd053a253cdc.jpg

PXL_20210219_214534869.thumb.jpg.49dc1baa62ec230f4a9afeec161c45fd.jpg

Bottom of the tank looks remarkably in good shape thankfully. These tanks are very much NLA and spares in good condition often hard to get. 

PXL_20210219_220510110.thumb.jpg.68037a8eb5800d2017cd577288a93dc7.jpg

On 12/19/2019 at 4:42 PM, bramz7 said:

IMG_20191219_160304.thumb.jpg.a33d6da593aa4eaccee0ea07331eb78c.jpg

Whoops. Ignore the squint numberplate and it's actually quite tidy. The clutch is a bit harsh in first and second so I think the release bearing is beginning to go. Otherwise it seems okay, drives nice and is reasonably progressive if pushed. The previous owner made a big deal about how quick it is but I've driven far faster, it's only a 2.0 N/A ffs. 

No relevant history either, other than the new tyres from the look of it. It doesn't sound bad and doesn't creak or rattle so that's a plus. 

Hi, this is our old car, we have pics to prove it, we always regret selling her.  Is the Staffy Bull Terrier sticker in the rear side window? have you sold her or would you consider selling?  

Did I tell you about a bloke in my village? He’d seen photos of the Base online but clicked I lived here when one of the pics went viral online. He walked past the other week and introduced himself and we stood - 2m apart - and talked cars for about an hour. Anyway, he told me he was after buying one of these and so went and bought one! 

He came around earlier and let me take it for a spin whilst he waited on. 

My. Fucking. God. What a glorious thing. I would say it sounded nicer than any six cylinder I’d ever driven. A real offbeat, syncopated warble. 

68EBDE73-7312-495E-A98B-82CB0986B0AB.thumb.jpeg.cf78ada6dde0ad458db4056c33b18edf.jpeg

It’s done 60,000 miles - is better than any car I’ve owned in 15 years - and I want it very much. 

They’re much more comfortable than you’d anticipate and it’s a little flying machine.  Very, very jealous. 

2 hours ago, Symjack said:

Hi, this is our old car, we have pics to prove it, we always regret selling her.  Is the Staffy Bull Terrier sticker in the rear side window? have you sold her or would you consider selling?  

Sold a year ago. Don't think anybody here has it now.

2 hours ago, Symjack said:

Welcome @Symjack sadly @bramz7hasn't knocked around these parts for a while and when he did he was prolific in the speed at which cars came and went.  You can find him on Instagram as Bramzcars

51 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Did I tell you about a bloke in my village? He’d seen photos of the Base online but clicked I lived here when one of the pics went viral online. He walked past the other week and introduced himself and we stood - 2m apart - and talked cars for about an hour. Anyway, he told me he was after buying one of these and so went and bought one! 

He came around earlier and let me take it for a spin whilst he waited on. 

My. Fucking. God. What a glorious thing. I would say it sounded nicer than any six cylinder I’d ever driven. A real offbeat, syncopated warble. 

68EBDE73-7312-495E-A98B-82CB0986B0AB.thumb.jpeg.cf78ada6dde0ad458db4056c33b18edf.jpeg

It’s done 60,000 miles - is better than any car I’ve owned in 15 years - and I want it very much. 

They’re much more comfortable than you’d anticipate and it’s a little flying machine.  Very, very jealous. 

I think we have talked about him before and he is a DJ on Biggles FM. He moved in nextdoor to me when I lived in Aylesbury and we have been talking cars ever since.

8 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I think we have talked about him before and he is a DJ on Biggles FM. He moved in nextdoor to me when I lived in Aylesbury and we have been talking cars ever since.

Ha - yes that’s him! Bob. Nice chap. Didn’t make the connection! 

Picked the disastra up from parents, following its new front shocks and drop link. Drove like a bag of shite. Pulling left, didn't want to go right.

Drive very gingerly home and went straight to tyre fitters for tracking. Both front wheels pointing left at different angles.

All sorted and now she drives well. 

20210220_154354.thumb.jpg.27126ba294d07aeabe5e5a238f106445.jpg

Springlike weather in Surrey and I thought I’d start the 2cv up for the first time since the start of December. Battery ok and I turned the engine over a few times on the starting handle to get fuel up through the pump and filter. Good job I did as every turn of the handle the fuel pipe got wet. There was a very small cut in the top of the pipe ( between in-line valve and the filter to the carb). I’ve no idea what caused it, it doesn’t look perished. Anyway, it was easily replaced with my on-car spares supply.

FFD6AD5B-8050-4459-B96D-BE8FCE778C3B.jpeg

5 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Springlike weather in Surrey and I thought I’d start the 2cv up for the first time since the start of December. Battery ok and I turned the engine over a few times on the starting handle to get fuel up through the pump and filter. Good job I did as every turn of the handle the fuel pipe got wet. There was a very small cut in the top of the pipe ( between in-line valve and the filter to the carb). I’ve no idea what caused it, it doesn’t look perished. Anyway, it was easily replaced with my on-car spares supply.

FFD6AD5B-8050-4459-B96D-BE8FCE778C3B.jpeg

Your lucky to have fuel even if it is the wrong place, when I go to start my 2CV after a winter break I have no fuel inside or outside the pipe! 

9 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Your lucky to have fuel even if it is the wrong place, when I go to start my 2CV after a winter break I have no fuel inside or outside the pipe! 

That’s why I prime it with the handle until I can see the fuel filter fill. Saves running the battery flat getting fuel to the carb. 

Talking of which I bought a jump starter from Tayna last week.  Supposed to be ok for up to 3litres.

image.jpg

Was on a socially distanced exploration mission today in the lesser known bits of Cambridgeshire. There was a sign saying 'do not enter', 'deep excavations', 'CCTV' and 'construction site, keep out' on two bits of Heras fencing tied to a tree and blocking the footpath so... we just went around those. Some nice bits of plant there, a bit disappointed at the lack of safety signage though, it wouldn't be acceptable on one of my sites.

Glad we did maintain our course on the seemingly closed footpath as we came across prime shite laying on the forest floor in the form of a Motorcraft sealed beam. My 6 year old was adamant she was going to take it home, so she did. 

Of course, dad had to set it up on a 12v rig to see if it worked... And it did! Lit up for the first time since gawd knows when. Shut it down though as she started smoking a little inside, one for outdoor testing by the looks of it.

1613840578043614889011872782100.thumb.jpg.496e82ace99807d306d7d278c373210c.jpg

We are going through the process of opening our company now the effects of Brexit are starting to settle (as far as we're concerned anyway)

The mrs and I have decided a van would be better suited for hauling product around,certainly better than the Legacy

What to buy though...

And then this popped up not too far away

2.4 diesel with a 4 speed box sounds like an interesting combo

Trying to find out if there is any Talon (V5) to go with that reg number,as a lack of paperwork is a big issue over here

Screenshot_20210220-192656_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210220-192704_Facebook.jpg

38 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

That’s why I prime it with the handle until I can see the fuel filter fill. Saves running the battery flat getting fuel to the carb. 

Talking of which I bought a jump starter from Tayna last week.  Supposed to be ok for up to 3litres.

image.jpg

I have found my 2CV just will not prime how ever much cranking I do without running it on easy start to draw up the petrol. To save running it on easy start I now disconnect the fuel line to the carb and back fill it with petrol and then it is fine for the rest of the year.

I am on my fourth micro starter, they still work as a power bank but will not crank a car after a while. The current one is an iClever that Dollywobler had and said was good, then his died so we will see how long this one lasts.

IMG_20210220_173145 broad.jpg

6 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have found my 2CV just will not prime how ever much cranking I do without running it on easy start to draw up the petrol. To save running it on easy start I now disconnect the fuel line to the carb and back fill it with petrol and then it is fine for the rest of the year.

I am on my fourth micro starter, they still work as a power bank but will not crank a car after a while. The current one is an iClever that Dollywobler had and said was good, then his died so we will see how long this one lasts.

IMG_20210220_173145 broad.jpg

I thought it worth a buy given the lack of use all the cars have At the moment. 

Your 2cv May have a perished pipe from the tank sender to the plastic pipe that runs from rear to front - then, weirdly has a section of fuel pipe, a metal pipe 15cm long, and another section of fuel pipe to the pump. If the fuel tank sender bit has perished this lets a lot of air up into the line when it’s sat.

and no, I’m not volunteering to drop your fuel tank to replace 10cm of fuel pipe!