The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I very rarely post on here and having not been here that long I don't have the background to some of the history being laundered.

What I can say is this forum has been running for a long time and in that time laws have been introduced around what can be said with penalties for non compliance.

The idea some have of returning to halcyon days of no or light handed moderation is simply not possible today

If anyone doesent agree with laws governing online content then agitate for change, but not on a car forum

Went up to storage today and finally put my other two cars on charge.

MGB is always awkward due to the battery location. Also not helped by both cars being storage sheds for the Dolomite.
5df5c21e0ed5e86f7cba2be5e34192f4.jpg

I really don't want to break this.
2711ff96e8ca8d94012d88962b5e9c80.jpg

In this I noticed the last garage who was in here (and changed the fuel pump) had put an additional earth wire in for the pump. I guess it was useful thing to do, but it is a bit bodgy to my liking. I've removed it for now as I'll do it a bit better.

Fitted on the battery charge cable
419be644f9cbc538e6300a8eab00cfbc.jpg

Then put it down underneath. This one has a handy flashing light to tell you the state of charge.
ec819843ae43be962c28b7225e5c876f.jpg

Hooked up the extension cable.
ad2e7086948ee15cba8f3fc1c863f316.jpg

And plugged it all in
246eaffc0e7c826e49f679a221632199.jpg

1100 was easier and this I just used the croc clips. If it was a permanent keeper I would have probably hooked it in the same. The car is supposed to be sold by now as it funded the BMW E28 purchase, but unfortunately the original buyer (a mate) had to pull out. Not too fussed as I might have a bit of fun in the spring before putting it back up on the market anyway. Can't imagine it should be too hard to shift either.
249a88b069ef7266bb0f869f6ecdfb1f.jpg
f25bdcf9a1a38c98ad4df747df74fad4.jpg

Finally I bought a second hand 123 ignition. Now the silly thing is that I have a brand new one I bought from Rimmers at Xmas. However this one was too cheap to not buy! The one I got from Rimmers is a configurable curve unit which will be great when I finally get the MGB engine rebuilt but the other one is plug and play.
e4d397af9ef8e78498609df22032c3c9.jpg

"Thanks again for another purchase"
Yeah thanks for reminding me again that I spend far too much on your platform.

7 minutes ago, Flashband said:

I very rarely post on here and having not been here that long I don't have the background to some of the history being laundered.

What I can say is this forum has been running for a long time and in that time laws have been introduced around what can be said with penalties for non compliance.

The idea some have of returning to halcyon days of no or light handed moderation is simply not possible today

If anyone doesent agree with laws governing online content then agitate for change, but not on a car forum

All completely true.

Also irrelevant to the issues concerning transparency, the courtesy of replying, random deletion of threads with no pm even, evenhandedness et al.

I don't poke my head above the parapet very often; however it does seem very unfortunate that any questions regarding moderation of the forum are either, at best, ignored, or as in the case of any thread started to create discussion, deleted.

I'm not even sure who the current moderators are, but do notice the disappearance and moving of threads/comments.

And no Hairnet, I'm another who doesn't post much about my cars, but, you obviously don't remember MrRustbucket's posts about his Jaguar.

15 hours ago, SiC said:

Went up to storage today and finally put my other two cars on charge.

MGB is always awkward due to the battery location. Also not helped by both cars being storage sheds for the Dolomite.
5df5c21e0ed5e86f7cba2be5e34192f4.jpg

I really don't want to break this.
2711ff96e8ca8d94012d88962b5e9c80.jpg

In this I noticed the last garage who was in here (and changed the fuel pump) had put an additional earth wire in for the pump. I guess it was useful thing to do, but it is a bit bodgy to my liking. I've removed it for now as I'll do it a bit better.

Fitted on the battery charge cable
419be644f9cbc538e6300a8eab00cfbc.jpg

Then put it down underneath. This one has a handy flashing light to tell you the state of charge.
ec819843ae43be962c28b7225e5c876f.jpg

Hooked up the extension cable.
ad2e7086948ee15cba8f3fc1c863f316.jpg

And plugged it all in
246eaffc0e7c826e49f679a221632199.jpg

1100 was easier and this I just used the croc clips. If it was a permanent keeper I would have probably hooked it in the same. The car is supposed to be sold by now as it funded the BMW E28 purchase, but unfortunately the original buyer (a mate) had to pull out. Not too fussed as I might have a bit of fun in the spring before putting it back up on the market anyway. Can't imagine it should be too hard to shift either.
249a88b069ef7266bb0f869f6ecdfb1f.jpg
f25bdcf9a1a38c98ad4df747df74fad4.jpg

Finally I bought a second hand 123 ignition. Now the silly thing is that I have a brand new one I bought from Rimmers at Xmas. However this one was too cheap to not buy! The one I got from Rimmers is a configurable curve unit which will be great when I finally get the MGB engine rebuilt but the other one is plug and play.

"Thanks again for another purchase"
Yeah thanks for reminding me again that I spend far too much on your platform.

I've looked at 123 distributors but never quite taken the plunge. Have you tried using either of yours yet? I had Lumenition electronic ignition on my Triumph 1300TC for about 15 years. It was getting harder to start when, a couple of years back, it just died at a local roundabout on one of the few times Mrs Yoss was in it. A bit of investigation found no spark. So I removed the spare distributor with new* points set to the correct gap that I had been carrying in the boot for the entire 15 years I had the Lumenition set up 'just in case', fitted it and it fired first time. As we were near home Mrs Yoss insisted we go home and get one of the Škodas despite my protestations that I'd fixed it (doesn't count as a breakdown in my book if you get it going again). It's been running trouble free on points ever since. 

I looked at new electronic ignition at the time, including the 123 which looks lovely if nothing else, but there are so many different types now I got flummoxed and forgot all about it. In my day Lumenition was all there was so the choice wasn't hard. Just wondered if you'd had any experience of it? Is it worth the extra over some of the cheap ones?

1 hour ago, Flashband said:

What pray tell law do you think Bollox infringed upon with his constant anti Brexit posts?

5 minutes ago, DodgeRover said:

What pray tell law do you think Bollox infringed upon with his constant anti Brexit posts?

I wasn't commenting on what bollox did or didn't say merely pointing out it's not feasible to have a high traffic forum without moderation to remove comments which could be construed as racist homophobic etc

Just now, Flashband said:

I wasn't commenting on what bollox did or didn't say merely pointing out it's not feasible to have a high traffic forum without moderation to remove comments which could be construed as racist homophobic etc 

Seriously have you ever used social* media, I don't see Facebook being sued a billion times a day for allowing it to be hosted.

I've also noticed a number of posters who openly state they don't like autoshite yet seem only to post detrimental things.

If you don't like this place please go elsewhere and stop trying to troll users

Regarding Facebook, see how mumsnet were sued for what amounted to a few words.

Signing out of this thread 

1 minute ago, Flashband said:

I've also noticed a number of posters who openly state they don't like autoshite yet seem only to post detrimental things.

Sadly there's a little gang who have decided to take every opportunity to be arseholes without bringing any content.

E.g.

Screenshot_20210214-154758.png

31 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I've looked at 123 distributors but never quite taken the plunge. Have you tried using either of yours yet? I had Lumenition electronic ignition on my Triumph 1300TC for about 15 years. It was getting harder to start when, a couple of years back, it just died at a local roundabout on one of the few times Mrs Yoss was in it. A bit of investigation found no spark. So I removed the spare distributor with new* points set to the correct gap that I had been carrying in the boot for the entire 15 years I had the Lumenition set up 'just in case', fitted it and it fired first time. As we were near home Mrs Yoss insisted we go home and get one of the Škodas despite my protestations that I'd fixed it (doesn't count as a breakdown in my book if you get it going again). It's been running trouble free on points ever since. 

I looked at new electronic ignition at the time, including the 123 which looks lovely if nothing else, but there are so many different types now I got flummoxed and forgot all about it. In my day Lumenition was all there was so the choice wasn't hard. Just wondered if you'd had any experience of it? Is it worth the extra over some of the cheap ones?

i have wondered about going pointless on both the metro and the mini 1000,

BUT as you say, there are that many ones out there and i dunno which are any good, and which are crap.

and as both are happy enough ,so far (touch wood) on points i have left them well enough alone.

as a cautionary tail, we did once change the points in the Metro not long after i bought it.

i got a new set from Unipart in York, we put them in the car, gaped them and and that, only for the shiney new points to weld themselves shut after only using the car a coupleof times.

so i got kerry  to put the original set back in, and well i don't think we have  had any problems with the car since.

well i say  that, remembering that the metro has not been touched in nearly 18 months since the bat flu started!

11 minutes ago, loserone said:

Sadly there's a little gang who have decided to take every opportunity to be arseholes without bringing any content.

E.g.

Screenshot_20210214-154758.png

I'm sorry but what exactly are you trying to so with this post ?   Isn't it exactly the same as what they are doing ?

1 minute ago, loserone said:

How?

Adding a screen shot of what's said on another forum is for what reason exactly ?

I can't think of one that doesn't involve stirring to be honest, I'm not sure that's was your intention having met you but it sure as hell looks that way from this side of the fence.

Words on a screen are very easily misinterpreted unfortunatly so forgive me if I'm wrong.

I try very hard not to comment on these things, but just occasionally it is even harder not to. I have my own forum so see things from both sides. There are always people who are not happy with the mods. There are always questionable decisions when viewed from one side, but only the mods know what is going on in the background. One major car forum no longer exists because a post was not moderated, the site had to close, either that or the mods faced court. Never under estimate the vindictiveness  of people. The comparison with FB is laughable, they have the budget to fight back, AS (nor my own forum) does not.

When these subjects come up, every year or so, it is the same few who are (mostly) active on the other forum who make the most noise. That forum shouted about no moderation, then through necessity became light moderation. When I tried to sign up in the early days, my request was ignored, so I am not a member there nor will I be. The ultimate moderation is surely selecting who can join?

Right, you will be pleased to hear I am going back to being quiet, but somebody has to support the mods occasionally, who whilst far from being perfect, keep this OLD CAR forum going and out of court. 

52 minutes ago, Flashband said:

No you didn't, you specifically ruled out light touch (your words) moderation.  Based on what?  There are plenty of successful forums that apply just that. 

Sweeping statement, mic drop.  End of debate* then?

*Not that there is much of one, much to the overall detriment of the forum.

I think there are a few folk who are getting the impression that the moderators on here are just on a power trip or are being incredibly unreasonable. 

I don't think that's the case.  I think there are 4-5 shitstirrers who are persistently trying to get the moderators to make questionable or plain decisions in order to "get even" for stuff that a different set of moderators did two years ago.  I think that is a pretty unreasonable way to behave, and it's nearly always the same bunch, egged on by their mates.  I'm not sure this is obvious to all, hence the screenshot.  It's merely an example, and is certainly not the most unpleasant comment posted on there; it's positively well written and comparatively polite.  

TBF, the dark wob is an interesting place in itself, there's a bit of content, about equally spaced out by bitching about folk on here, complaining about the good old days, and general antivax / climate change denial.  It has its own character 😁

I don't think that the lack of transparency on moderation decisions is a good thing, though I can see it would make life easier in some cases and I wouldn't want to have to justify every action and any kind of statement will undoubtedly be picked apart.