The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

12 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

I don’t think politics should be moderated, but I do think than anyone that expresses racism, homophobia, sexism or transphobia should be.

To be fair, that's what the rules say.

The report appears to have been for breaking the "no politics" rule, which isn't a rule.  But the moderation was for causing "deliberate offence".  Boll says this in his post.  And to be fair, that is a rule.  

There's some good discussion on this on the dark wob, as well as the odd troll of course.

A bit more transparency and a bit less "send a PM if you have concerns" would be good here tbh.  As is always the case.  No, news24 probably isn't the place for it; maybe make a place and leave it there?

On 2/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, Fabergé Greggs said:

I don’t think politics should be moderated, but I do think than anyone that expresses racism, homophobia, sexism or transphobia should be.

Sometimes it seems being a bit racist is confused with politics, where in fact it’s just being a bit racist. 

I think this should include any hilarious “jokes” at the expense of these communities. 

Then we could live in a more colourful world.., live and let live etc.. that’s what we’re all after, right? 

This place successfully self moderated itself for years. The problems have coincided with a self-electing layer of unqualified and unnecessary management and a slow creep of homogenisation and intolerance of view. The last time I saw anything resembling this, the forum involved was being secretly sanitised for sale and now resembles a desert.

If for example, Mr B wants to publicly call me a knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing racist, I won't agree with his opinion but in no way would I want him silenced.     I would reserve the right to laugh and take the piss, mind.

It's beginning to resemble a modern centre of further education. Let it go back to the adults self moderating themselves and the problems will cease.

Ugh. This is all rather disappointing. 

The only rules we need are the ones that are enforced upon us by the host of the board, and the laws of that respective country. That’s it. 

Therefore, you need two or maybe three people (so the keys aren’t all held by one person) who are there to make sure we stay legal and that’s it. 

I look forward to that happening. 

Disappointing but predictable. Once more Tony Benn's Five Essential Questions of Democracy spring to mind.

How are moderators here appointed? I don't know but I'd enjoy sight of the process.

Thing is, it's not so much that more even-handed moderation is required, less moderation overall is the answer.

21 minutes ago, Sheefag said:

Disappointing but predictable. Once more Tony Benn's Five Essential Questions of Democracy spring to mind.

Edmund Burke (the full text) as well. Those who tried to steer the ship back on course were held accountable for the unaccountables actions in a twist worthy of the best. 

It’s a crying shame he’s gone, it really is.  

Ask yourself this: if you contribute more trolling than worthy content, and more whining to the moderators than someone who is the polar opposite, how come the latter goes but the former stays?

8 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Ask yourself this: if you contribute more trolling than worthy content, and more whining to the moderators than someone who is the polar opposite, how come the latter goes but the former stays?

I'll think you'll find that Mr Bollox was one of the most outspoken members on here.  Yet others have been silenced for saying far less.  I know he certainly pee'd me off with his comments about remberance stickers but I never felt the need to report him for it as everyone is allowed a view point. 

20 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Because he chose to go. He could just stick to car threads. 

20 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

It's the follow on from your shameful actions as a moderator 2 years ago, where you made it clear dissenting options would not be tolerated by unilaterally deleting members accounts then lying about it.

The subsequent rewriting of the modgate thread to represent your version of history should tell you all you need to know.

The world as I see it has become a lot more politicised and polarised in recent years mainly due to Bre*it with all sides believing they are right in the real world this caused real friction so I for one see the need to try and keep things sensible here, everyone can bemoan "its not how it used to be" but the world isn't either, if many of these discussions had continued unabated we could have lost far more members than if politics had been allowed to pervade almost every thread.

I'm with @Ghostythe rest of my life is full of politics and its nice to come here for some respite from it, we have quite a number of members who appear to have issues with their mental health and if this is their place of solice then it only seems right that agro and disputes are kept to a minimum..

I've met and spent time with at least three of the moderators and to me at least they appear to be some of the most considered, courteous,  friendly people I've ever met.  To be honest I've no idea why they would put themselves in the firing line for such vitriol from some around here, I for one certainly would never consider putting myself in the firing line.

As you were...

I'm a gutted Bollox has gone it was following his threads on retro rides that brought me here in the first place. I can't think of many people other than him who have both the skills to fix the cars and the ability to write an entertaining build thread about it 

However, he probably shouldn't have posted what it he did as he likely did it to get a reaction and it worked, who ever got offended and complained to the mods is just as bad as it's different sides of the same coin as far as the argument about free speech on this forum concerned.

I still think it's fundamentally a car forum with a helpful community bolted on to it. That's the bits I'm interested in I don't come here to debate the why I hate Brexit as I see the supermarket shelves filling up with straight bananas.

This isn't a designated, controlled, appropriately Moderated safe space for anyone with issues that require appropriate help or intervention. That level of 'safe space' is best left to actual professionals.

It can be, however, a welcoming, interesting and warm place to visit and take part in discussions in, if the overal approach changes. It does require self -control and a modicum of resilience from all participants, especially those who may be a little more 'fragile' then the norm. That doesn't happen at the moment, to the detriment of AS and it's members. 

Appropriate guidance,consensus and if required, Moderation , IS the way forward. What we have currently is not.

12 minutes ago, cort16 said:

I'm a gutted Bollox has gone it was following his threads on retro rides that brought me here in the first place. I can't think of many people other than him who have both the skills to fix the cars and the ability to write an entertaining build thread about it 

However, he probably shouldn't have posted what it he did as he likely did it to get a reaction and it worked, who ever got offended and complained to the mods is just as bad as it's different sides of the same coin as far as the argument about free speech on this forum concerned.

I'd agree with most of this, except for the 'just as bad bit' - it was a Post for Effect, he knew it and thought he'd get away with it, as usual. Can't blame him for that, it's been enabled by others for a long time. The complainer isn't just as bad - it's a level playing field or it isn't - and it falls most definitely into the latter here, and has done for a long time. More like a ' good enough for the goose' situation then anything.

Denial,glossing over and re-writing what led us here serves no-one in the long term, save for those who want, for their own purposes, a place to be 'safe'.  An old car forum can be, but it's a by-product of tone, honesty, openess, discussion, personal responsibility and consensus. Things I'm afraid to say that are lacking.

Where's the Moderator thread gone?

52 minutes ago, red5 said:

I'd agree with most of this, except for the 'just as bad bit' - it was a Post for Effect, he knew it and thought he'd get away with it, as usual. Can't blame him for that, it's been enabled by others for a long time. The complainer isn't just as bad - it's a level playing field or it isn't - and it falls most definitely into the latter here, and has done for a long time. More like a ' good enough for the goose' situation then anything.

Denial,glossing over and re-writing what led us here serves no-one in the long term, save for those who want, for their own purposes, a place to be 'safe'.  An old car forum can be, but it's a by-product of tone, honesty, openess, discussion, personal responsibility and consensus. Things I'm afraid to say that are lacking.

Where's the Moderator thread gone?

The 'How are moderators appointed?' thread seems to have been deleted by the moderators. By removing the thread the moderators are sending a clear signal to members that they do not want us to know how the moderators were appointed and that they want the process to remain cloaked by smoke and mirrors and to be unaccountable. I have long suspected that they effectively appoint themselves now, possibly having initially been appointed to remove the spam that bedeviled the forum in the 'Dave' era. Moderation was supposed to remove spam only - there is a post to that effect from the forum owners way back, if it hasn't itself been removed by the moderators of course. I imagine it is only  matter of time before criticism in this thread is itself removed and we are all compelled to go back to 'smiling-happy'.

3 minutes ago, Sheefag said:

It's been picked up and flung out of a helicopter above the Amazon otherwise known as, 'Kumbaya'ed'.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Or

The Who, if you will. 

Ffs.

3 hours ago, treehugger said:

Because he chose to go. He could just stick to car threads. 

Exactly.

It's shame those who are the reverse of that have chosen to stay though.  When trouble boots off on here it's pretty much a nailed on cert that a tiny handful of people will have more input into that than they ever seemed to bother with about actual Autoshite content.

Oh dear.

Anyway.

I'm in the process of acquiring another car, of the XUD powered variety. This means it'd be really rather helpful to get the bright red lunchbox out of the way.

Any interest in a C2 GT with no MOT and an ABS fault? It's a fun little car but I have too much else going on to sort it well enough for it to be palatable to the average car buyer. Gr9 4 track project etc.

I'll do a proper force ale thread once I've cleared it out and got some photos.

13 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Anyway, news.

North Norfolk is still seriously snowy - it's amazing how just a few miles up the road has had orders of magnitude more snow than where I am, and because it's powdery stuff and it's been quite breezy, in places it has drifted onto the road several feet deep.

In other news, the Iveco is seriously fucking shit in the snow.

The new flasher relay I ordered turned up, but although the terminals are in the right places they're all the wrong way round so it doesn't work.  It seems Iveco decided to use a different pin layout to literally everyone else, and the correct relays are almost impossible to find.  The original relay is working again now after I took it apart and wiggled bits around, so I'm hoping it'll last a bit longer.

We've Norfolking snow whatsover here in Cornwall. Just rain and wind.

I finally managed to get the Lambretta UK registered after three frustrating attempts with the DooVLA. I've since had to source fixings for the license plate holder and the plate itself. When imported last year, it still had it's Italian plate fitted, which had to be sent back to the equivalent of the Italian DVLA. Shame really as it had worn the plate for six decades. 

Anyway, thanks @Minimad5 and another helpful fella, I was gifted the stainless fixings to replace the original seized ones which I had to hack off. 60 years young and I'm the first UK owner! I ended up using Tippers to manufacture the plate. They are only a mile down the road and despite recent negative stories about their quality and attitude towards customers I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. They're also the only company I could find who produce plates using the exact typeset and sizing as would have originally been used on vehicles in the 60s. I can't fault their work - they predrilled the holes for me using my template prior to painting, and left the corners as virtually square edges rather than rounded which seems to be more the standard with them. There was no extra charge either. 

Anyway, pleased with the result. Next job, clean the rust out of the tank. I've drained the treacle from it in the meantime. I guess I really ought to start a thread on it for a good job...

20210213_143452.jpg

Sorry to see this here.... I've not been around long enough to recall the previous issue.

Few forums I've been on seem to be able to nail moderation well. Those that do a bit more to enforce the rules always end up rather bland, which is fine if they are just going to be more of a technical resource for owners, but does little to encourage growth or new interesting content. On the other hand I've left a couple of otherwise decent places that had no moderation and just ended up being overly aggressive shouting grounds for some apparently truly horrible individuals keen to be 'top dog'.

I've never been a mod and wouldn't want to be either!

Maybe the rules could just be simplified a bit:

Screenshot_20210213-143718~2.png

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

That Lambretta is just perfect.

Thanks. It's a bit of a scruffbag in original paint. I love it though. After years of owning restored series 3 on the whole, I've completely changed my outlook and have sacked off shiny slimline for chubby fatbird showing six decades of life on her paint. Having said that, the old girl was last on the road in 1971, so the slumber period was pretty lengthy.