The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

The Rover 75 was of course merely an example to explain a point. I have never driven one so I can't really say if they are.

However what I do believe is that the dash clocks in the Rover 75 are naff awful looking things that should never have left the design room...

spacer.png

Which is probably a more controversial viewpoint on here than anything else.

Wanker 

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

The Rover 75 was of course merely an example to explain a point. I have never driven one so I can't really say if they are.

However what I do believe is that the dash clocks in the Rover 75 are naff awful looking things that should never have left the design room...

spacer.png

Which is probably a more controversial viewpoint on here than anything else.

They look fine. 

Once someone tells you that the time clock reflects in the windscreen at night you can never unsee it and you’ll want to rip your eyes out but... even once you’ve done that... you’ll still know it’s shining away. 😡 

75s rule. There’s such a rich story behind them, they’re so ingrained in the history of the UK motor car. Their significance is far greater than most know or appreciate. I also love them so y’all can f*** ***.

8 minutes ago, HMC said:

For me the richness in the forum is the variety. Cars, people, ideas. I like the variety. Surely the end result of all this is to extinguish individuality at the altar of what exactly?

Resubmit in Newspeak, then report to the Thought Police.

42 minutes ago, HMC said:

I think it’s unfortunate that the forum lose a lot of its colour these last few years. 

Yes, but we have a not insignificant section of the (interesting content creating, really should be here and free to post their own opinions) forum members feeling like they can't voice their own opinions, so when they see this

1941846732_Screenshot2021-02-12145818.thumb.jpg.1c7a040c31d8855676fa83f19b4d9b55.jpg

They feel the need to do this

1663709700_Screenshot2021-02-12145755.thumb.jpg.14c63a24bca5aa6f6b080d50e2bec2e5.jpg

To play the moderation team into making this type of shit decision for shits and giggles; that is, to moderate when really people should be left the fuck alone.  

To be clear, I might be a loony lefty but I think this should apply right across the board.  Can we have some colour back please?

11 minutes ago, DodgeRover said:

Getting a Christmas card from Marine LePenn?

Should add all my vehicles also have lest we forget stickers on them too. I'm a very proud grandson of a ww2 Lancaster navigator. I have to say I was offended by being categorised by Bollox when he posted the original comment. I'm proud of my heritage

6 minutes ago, loserone said:

Yes, but we have a not insignificant section of the (interesting content creating, really should be here and free to post their own opinions) forum members feeling like they can't voice their own opinions, so when they see this

1941846732_Screenshot2021-02-12145818.thumb.jpg.1c7a040c31d8855676fa83f19b4d9b55.jpg

They feel the need to do this

1663709700_Screenshot2021-02-12145755.thumb.jpg.14c63a24bca5aa6f6b080d50e2bec2e5.jpg

To play the moderation team into making this type of shit decision for shits and giggles; that is, to moderate when really people should be left the fuck alone.  

To be clear, I might be a loony lefty but I think this should apply right across the board.  Can we have some colour back please?

I found that out of order, but he's entitled to his opinion - unfortunately, any response or debate would be Moderated/Locked as per normal MO.

So, by the 'Standards' employed here for Moderation it was well overdue, if somewhat surprising. 

2 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

Should add all my vehicles also have lest we forget stickers on them too. I'm a very proud grandson of a ww2 Lancaster navigator.

No stickers, but the same of a Forgotten Army RE. One who fought to ensure the freedom of speech that some use to deny others that very same.

Odd, thought it didn't bother me anymore - Modgate, the utter shit, lies and mealymouthing from the professionally offended here. So I'll apologise for going on in case I've upset anyone. I'm a half-decent sort in general* ( I think ) and not easily riled, but this is ridiculous.

4 hours ago, garbaldy said:

Thats just it there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bollox,s posts at all,  his posts are his opinion and he's entitled to hold them and voice them, he as well as all members should not be moderated for that, if people don't like it they shouldn't read them,  

I remember his posts not understanding all the hate towards over zelouse moderation as he was not affected,  it seems now that this forum has now lost one of the old school better contributors, how many more have to go before people realise what the fuck is going on,   

What was it again we ended up with moderators for ? ah that's right dealing with spambots wasn't it.

Great job folks great job.

I had my say on this issue (and got called a c*** for doing so) some eight years ago now, so I'll leave it to others to fight this one out. But suffice to say the whole thing is all very nostalgic anyway.  A person's politics doesn't really matter to me when I'm admiring their ability to fix old cars.

image.thumb.png.23cb9dd7d41e1c3438f9ea5104c49bb6.png

Can I assure you that these concerns are heard, and I will take these backstage and discuss with the other mods. I too would be loathe to lose the colour from the forum... just because it is beige in colour shouldn’t mean we’re only beige in content!

However, can I ask that we keep this thread to news about our cars/news and if there are concerns that you would like to air I will happily listen to/discuss them by PM.

I'd say after the last, disgraceful 'Modgate' episode where long time members were banned without warning or had their posting restricted and an infantile 'Glitch Excuse' was clumsily and arrogantly proffered, a request to take concerns over moderation to PM's rather than public discussion, is at best, a tad tone-deaf.

37 minutes ago, Wilko220 said:

A person's politics doesn't really matter to me when I'm admiring their ability to fix old cars.

I've made noises about keeping political discussions out of AS in the past, as this is a place I come to as respite, it's just a place for people that like old cars, and I wanted that for all of us. 

The way things panned out wasn't what I'd hoped for at all.

Anyway, news.

North Norfolk is still seriously snowy - it's amazing how just a few miles up the road has had orders of magnitude more snow than where I am, and because it's powdery stuff and it's been quite breezy, in places it has drifted onto the road several feet deep.

In other news, the Iveco is seriously fucking shit in the snow.

The new flasher relay I ordered turned up, but although the terminals are in the right places they're all the wrong way round so it doesn't work.  It seems Iveco decided to use a different pin layout to literally everyone else, and the correct relays are almost impossible to find.  The original relay is working again now after I took it apart and wiggled bits around, so I'm hoping it'll last a bit longer.

28 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Can I assure you that these concerns are heard, and I will take these backstage and discuss with the other mods. I too would be loathe to lose the colour from the forum... just because it is beige in colour shouldn’t mean we’re only beige in content!

However, can I ask that we keep this thread to news about our cars/news and if there are concerns that you would like to air I will happily listen to/discuss them by PM.

If anything demonstrated that nothing has changed nor been learned by the moderators here, then this response is it. 

44 minutes ago, brownnova said:

You also say, "you would loathe to lose the colour from the forum ... just because it is beige shouldn't mean we're only beige in content"

Yet it is the moderators here of whom you are one, who have deliberately, systematically and consistently extinguished that very thing. What made AS unique has been stamped out and smothered not by accident but by conscious decision and undertaken in such a way as to treat the members here as ignorant children. It is frustrating indeed as I retain a fondness for this forum. At its best it was superb, but  sadly the embers are now dim.