The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

According to my brother, who's been living there for close to 20 years, the concept of customer service isn't very highly developed in Germany. I usually buy from Germany via eBay because however unfair eBay's treatment is to sellers, it at least makes sure the sellers can't treat you unfairly. I ordered 2 wheel cylinders for a 205 recently, and received 2 lh ones instead of a pair. The box of one was dirty and had had the wrong cylinder put back in it. So I had to clean up one of the old bodies and put the new innards into it. I sent photographic evidence, and asked for a 50% refund, which they agreed to , as long as I left positive feedback first. So I did nothing for a week, then negged them. I had my refund next day.

4 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I got a new battery delivered yesterday for my 75. It's one of those 'Yausa' ones, £67.99 delivered which seemed OK for what is quite a big battery. Same as the one that's currently in it which is only weak because the previous owner had bought a new car about 3 or 4 months prior to me buying it and it sat unused.

It's an 096 isn't it? Quite a good price for a reasonable make one of those.

Bluebird starter motor dropped off yesterday and 4 hours later it was ready. 

IMG_20210128_132656.thumb.jpg.0237f265737f3be0884b1445750b59bf.jpg

I almost didn't want to fit it as it was so shiny! But in it went. IMG_20210128_133714.thumb.jpg.87e2ea893e4514c398df1fe373d109a6.jpg

If anyone in the area needs reconditioning of starter motors or alternators... Unit Exchange in Borehamwood 020-8386 9971.

The starter motor being a bit icky was something that had worried me about this car for a while and put me off regular use, now it's sorted time to press into more regular service. The Mondeo albeit has the advantage of heated seats on the colder days though.

10 minutes ago, artdjones said:

There were no heated seats when I were a lad. I just used to ram my posterior through the ice sheet.

Actually, I've never even driven a car with heated seats. At least, not with them switched on.

I realise that a northerner admitting to such comforts is rapidly at risk of losing his credentials. Very useful with leather seats, also useful is the heated windscreen!

1 hour ago, N19 said:

Bluebird starter motor dropped off yesterday and 4 hours later it was ready. 

IMG_20210128_132656.thumb.jpg.0237f265737f3be0884b1445750b59bf.jpg

I almost didn't want to fit it as it was so shiny! But in it went. IMG_20210128_133714.thumb.jpg.87e2ea893e4514c398df1fe373d109a6.jpg

If anyone in the area needs reconditioning of starter motors or alternators... Unit Exchange in Borehamwood 020-8386 9971.

The starter motor being a bit icky was something that had worried me about this car for a while and put me off regular use, now it's sorted time to press into more regular service. The Mondeo albeit has the advantage of heated seats on the colder days though.

Out of curiosity, what's with the asbestos warning sticker? I come across it a lot at work but I'm wondering why it's on the bulkhead on a (relatively) modern car. Is it down to the clutch and brake pads still containing some asbestos or something else?

I never think to take photos of old chod, but I happened to have the camera open for something else.... 

IMG_20210128_094937.thumb.jpg.8a347f5b326630a475b42b64b4f6652d.jpg

Parked on an industrial estate, Google suggests it wasn't there last year despite looking like it has been sat for decades. 

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Out of curiosity, what's with the asbestos warning sticker? I come across it a lot at work but I'm wondering why it's on the bulkhead on a (relatively) modern car. Is it down to the clutch and brake pads still containing some asbestos or something else?

Yes. For a while friction surfaces were exempted from asbestos regulations until technology could be improved to not need it, but required the warning sticker. Something you mostly see on 80s stuff. 

4 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

Pads and clutch may have been changed but what about any exhaust heat shields ?

Good point!

52 minutes ago, SiC said:

Yes. For a while friction surfaces were exempted from asbestos regulations until technology could be improved to not need it, but required the warning sticker. Something you mostly see on 80s stuff. 

Ah I see now. Every day's a schoolday.

With the Clio, I didn't use it for several months in Lockdown One (because I couldn't) and it ended up refusing to start. A local mechanic friend of my brothers got it started and it's been fine, I've done quite a few decent runs when we've been allowed, but I think that a mixture of the cold and lack of use have finished it off. Chances are that a charge up will get it going again, but for how long?  Thinking back, it must be at least 4 years old, probably a fair bit more.

To be honest, with the 2cv, I'd change the battery without a problem but on "modern" cars (only on here would anyone consider an 18 year old car as a modern!) I worry about the immobiliser and radio code being lost. To be fair, it won't be that easy to get a battery home on the moped anyway, but if I get a colleague to do the job, he can bring it!

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Yeah, expect that's the reasoning on this. Both clutch and pads have been changed recent enough to not be asbestos.

10 hours ago, Asimo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.e66e21c665fd07aec85168f72977e470.jpeg

There is a nervous Mazda in Kidderminster.

I'd love to see the risk assessment on how to sort that out safely.  I'm thinking a crane to lift the car off, and a cherry picker from the track for an employee to go up and attach the wheels to the crane.  Please come back with a video of that. 

19 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Well after 24 hours on charge the Rover's battery is showing 10.6 volts.  Yep, that'll be fucked then.

The battery on my 75 has died as well, but it came with the car & I have no idea of its history so it's not the end of the world.

Just waiting for the replacement now...

49 minutes ago, barefoot said:

The battery on my 75 has died as well, but it came with the car & I have no idea of its history so it's not the end of the world.

Just waiting for the replacement now...

Yep, this is the one that was on the car when I bought it 2 1/2 years ago, and it wasn't new then.  It is a Bosch though so should have had a reasonable life expectancy.

I've ordered an eBay special to replace it - had a message yesterday from the seller saying they are experiencing delays in delivery due to lockdown but as an apology they are going to send me a better battery than the one I ordered - suits me, the car isn't going anywhere for the next few weeks anyway.

Just before the xmas, the Scirocco decided would be an excellent time to break down with my tame mechanic off on the isolations.

It's an odd old thing, it's been running really reliably, but bizarrely has had an excessive amount of advance and a potential air leak, caused by the carb being attached to the manifold with one stud, half a broken stud & a cable tie. When the carb finally made its inevitable break for freedom, it didi it at the end of the road and spluttered its way home to park up on the drive. Mechanic had been promising to fit it in for me for about 18 months, so after the festivities I rang him up, had a bit of a shout and went out. By the time I returned the car had been collected, and later that afternoon it was mended & back. All was well until the last couple of days when it had more flat spots than the fucking T2. To paraphrase the slipknots; All torque was gone. I managed to coax it down to his garage this morny where he instant diagnose a broken retaining bracket for the vacuum thing that operates the second choke. 35 seconds and all was sort. 

Once again I have a car of some reliability.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:35 AM, stripped fred said:

I'm waiting outside the MOT station for my Micra today. There's an accident repair centre opposite.

It looks like some thieves have been busy!

IMG_20210127_113249503_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210127_113317058_HDR.jpg

This is the thieving bastards equivalent of the moment seagulls worked out how to get into shellfish; evolution happening before our eyes.