The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Do you know that trees don't always fall where you expect them to when attacked with a chain saw ?;

and a bag of pegs on a washing line can get dispersed widely when hit by a falling tree branch;

embarrassingly far over your neighbours garden;

but it was their pegs and washing line;

don't think they noticed;

well there's a pile of sawdust in their garden now after somebody had to chop a fallen tree up in their garden.

Oooppps......

22 minutes ago, taxi paul said:

Went for a blood test today. Nothing exciting just my usual yearly one. On my way back to the car park I noticed I have turned into one of them old bastards who walks in the road and not on the path cos path is  icy. 

You are lucky.  I can't walk at all on ice unless I use a rollator (zimmer frame on wheels) and then look like a much older bastard than you.  A Canadian aunty gave me some spiky things which attach to my walking sticks.  They work but are probably classed as offensive weapons these days, hence the GT zimmer 😃.

First fuel up of the Maestro today since getting it.  Almost squeezed £40 into the tank.  Can't do the sums yet, this is my starting point, but given it's done at least 150 miles on the nearly full tank it arrived with and I've only used it for local pootling, I'd say it's probably doing high twenties to low thirties which is perfectly acceptable.  This week I'm hoping to tackle the rocker cover gasket, check the valve clearances, and maybe have a look at the exhaust leak (I hate doing any sort of exhaust work) which is hopefully just a case of tightening a clamp and/or reseating the join that's blowing.

Over all though, I'm delighted with the Maestro.  It's feeling like a very sensible purchase and I can see me just continuing to fix it up over this year because it's so nice to work on in general.  It's that pleasant balance of old and new that's right in my comfort zone.  Still don't want to go long distance in it on the motorway as I think it'll be a bit buzzy, but that's what the Princess is for once it's fixed again.

Can't recommend buying from Autodoc atm - I bought a brake caliper from them on the 11th or something. Tracking hasn't been updated since the 14th. 

I opened a case with them with the reason of 'I am dissatisfied with the delivery time' and their reply was that the package had been 'blocked due to Covid and Brexit', and offered me a refund.
They didn't think to tell me this unless I asked them which is plain daft. 

I've found a reconditioned brake caliper for half the price in the UK now, anyway. 

19 hours ago, wuvvum said:

That car must be a contender for the car driven by the highest number of Shiters, given than half the forum had a go in it at SF19 and it's been owned by several of us since then.

Its probably not been cleaned since either! Always wondered how well those carpets would wash up

29 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Its probably not been cleaned since either! Always wondered how well those carpets would wash up

It's had a proper valet quite recently. Nice cabin to be in, other than the dash always blowing cold, but the underdash and screen managing to blow warm. It's going to fail its mot next month, so I'm getting my local guy to go over it next week and see exactly what it needs. It'll be fudged through this one, and then taken to be properly sorted in the summer. Needs a fair bit of bodywork done. 

16 hours ago, N19 said:

Bluebird went to see the nice man from the ministry this afternoon. Passed! Still have a few bits and pieces to keep me busy. 

IMG_20210126_162331.jpg

Starter motor now whipped out and dropped off to a place in Borehamwood that I'd never been in but been past dozens of times - should be ready tomorrow. That's the main barrier to it being useable again, the other items can be done at an appropriate time. 

IMG_20210126_203408.jpg

Mixed fleet news:

The elderly moped passed it's MOT, despite receiving very little care or maintenance in years. When I went to look at trading it in about 18 months ago, the salesman said "blimey, that must be the only one still going!"  Weirdly, this didn't motivate me to buy the newer version of the same bike that I had been looking at!

The Clio has been reluctant to start for a while. I tried last week and it was having none of it. I think that it's the battery, but it's getting to see it in daylight as I'm still working. To be honest, I'm not supposed to be doing non essential journeys anyway, so it can stay there for a while. One of the mechanics has offered to help replace the vandalised rear wiper ( some scumbag smashed it off a few weeks ago - apparently you need a special tool) so I'll see if he wants to have a look.

I've had a shit time

Scirocco broke down & was repaired - but that's a comparatively simple story

The Rover was pressed into service & before long  I was putting in a pint of coolant a day!

Rover off to garage for weeping radiator - further investigation reveals radiator OK, suspect HGF - scrap it.

Enter a new garage,  a chap I've been acquainted with for a while - and this is where things take a dismal turn. Took it in for suspected HGF. Mmmm, HG no fail, is minor leak from back of block, very awkward, will sort. So I left the car with him... 

Suddenly phone call - 'I've has been broken into - 'animals' have stolen cats from several vehicles, inc yours, will resolve'. OK, ta for honesty...

Left him a few days..

Car returned and apparently drove OK,  but after being left a couple of days, it died completely. 

He turned up this morning, tested alternator - doing fine 14.4V - the battery was completely dead, but his tester revealed nothing actually wrong with it. Attached the boost pack & it fired up as good as gold.
I pointed at a new scratch which had appeared on the bonnet whilst it was in his garage.
'But look at that fucking scratch' I ejaculated
'If you say it wasn't there when you brought it down, I'll have to paint it for you,' he immediately capitulated.

He's collecting it tomorrow am, leaving his courtesy car & returning it Friday pm.

I promise that I'm not trying it on with this bloke over the scratch, it's down to the metal! 
I'm not a businessman & I know probably less about running a garage than anyone, but I took my car down for a coolant leak, which was resolved with a hose clamp & a drop of fresh antifreeze. But while there, it's had a catalytic converter, the front & middle sections of the exhaust, new O2 sensors, a partial respray and I've not paid a penny - without actually having to refuse to pay him - WT actual F?

I think this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

25 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I've had a shit time

Scirocco broke down & was repaired - but that's a comparatively simple story

The Rover was pressed into service & before long  I was putting in a pint of coolant a day!

Rover off to garage for weeping radiator - further investigation reveals radiator OK, suspect HGF - scrap it.

Enter a new garage,  a chap I've been acquainted with for a while - and this is where things take a dismal turn. Took it in for suspected HGF. Mmmm, HG no fail, is minor leak from back of block, very awkward, will sort. So I left the car with him... 

Suddenly phone call - 'I've has been broken into - 'animals' have stolen cats from several vehicles, inc yours, will resolve'. OK, ta for honesty...

Left him a few days..

Car returned and apparently drove OK,  but after being left a couple of days, it died completely. 

He turned up this morning, tested alternator - doing fine 14.4V - the battery was completely dead, but his tester revealed nothing actually wrong with it. Attached the boost pack & it fired up as good as gold.
I pointed at a new scratch which had appeared on the bonnet whilst it was in his garage.
'But look at that fucking scratch' I ejaculated
'If you say it wasn't there when you brought it down, I'll have to paint it for you,' he immediately capitulated.

He's collecting it tomorrow am, leaving his courtesy car & returning it Friday pm.

I promise that I'm not trying it on with this bloke over the scratch, it's down to the metal! 
I'm not a businessman & I know probably less about running a garage than anyone, but I took my car down for a coolant leak, which was resolved with a hose clamp & a drop of fresh antifreeze. But while there, it's had a catalytic converter, the front & middle sections of the exhaust, new O2 sensors, a partial respray and I've not paid a penny - without actually having to refuse to pay him - WT actual F?

I think this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

He sounds so accident prone I can't see him lasting long.

And as if that's not bad enough, when I rang the butcher to place my regular weekly order he said,

'Don't worry if I don't turn up with this tomorrow Dave, I'll bring it next week. I've got two off isolating & I'm on my own here...'

And by next week, I'll be eating my fucking toes!