The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

FURTHER MOT extensions in Northern Ireland - so a good number of cars haven't had the Man from the Ministry look at them for 2 years now.

I did wonder whether we might see much shorter extensions return in England this month, but nothing from DVLA

Wow that's really pushing it, 2 years!

Boss's daughter had a little mishap in her Polio

20210112_112936.thumb.jpg.736a23fca24de86420bf1c3a7476c0ef.jpg

It might have been better if she didn't brake, as the damage was all above the crash bar. Having ripped off all the damaged plastic bits, it's surprisingly unscathed, so the hunt is on for a donor

20210113_152639.thumb.jpg.f69486ebc424ecc200f5244ef857f456.jpg20210113_152759.thumb.jpg.4418c20ab95245ca4e2d32f4155d7f1b.jpg

do you like our jack?

20210113_152656.jpg

On 1/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, Tickman said:

Leaking sunroof on the Clio is usually the sunroof frame seal to the roof of the car.

A 10mm ratchet spanner and some butyl tape and you should be fine.

It is a fiddly job but not actually difficult, I've done 3 and had no leaks afterwards.

Had this with my old Clio, did exactly as described here and it stopped the leaks, and cut down considerably on the sunroof rattling too.

Just a pity Renault saw fit to put sharp edges on just about everything up there, gained a few little scars that day!

Meanwhile, I'm in a bit of a conundrum with cars, and the current rules.

I want to take the MX5 off the road for a couple of months - its MOT is up this weekend, and while it should pass I feel it's perhaps in the spirit of things to leave MOT slots for people who need their cars on the road. I have access to other vehicles if I need to get anywhere, so I don't strictly need this one for now. Plus, it's purely a toy and since pleasure drives are off the agenda til February/March/the year 2038/whenever, I feel it's pointless paying for an MOT I'm not going to use for a while, and paying tax on a car sitting idle.

The conundrum is this - taking the car to the storage space I rent on the other side of town is not an essential journey. I get caught, I get a fine. But the car is parked on the road at home. If it's parked on the road with no MOT and on SORN, I get a fine. I re-MOT the car, I'm paying out for a car I'm not using, and the journey to the MOT station itself probably isn't essential either. Bit of a no-win situation.

4 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

I want to take the MX5 off the road for a couple of months - its MOT is up this weekend, and while it should pass I feel it's perhaps in the spirit of things to leave MOT slots for people who need their cars on the road. I have access to other vehicles if I need to get anywhere, so I don't strictly need this one for now. Plus, it's purely a toy and since pleasure drives are off the agenda til February/March/the year 2038/whenever, I feel it's pointless paying for an MOT I'm not going to use for a while, and paying tax on a car sitting idle.

The conundrum is this - taking the car to the storage space I rent on the other side of town is not an essential journey. I get caught, I get a fine. But the car is parked on the road at home. If it's parked on the road with no MOT and on SORN, I get a fine. I re-MOT the car, I'm paying out for a car I'm not using, and the journey to the MOT station itself probably isn't essential either. Bit of a no-win situation.

Phone the council and ask them ?

42 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

The conundrum is this - taking the car to the storage space I rent on the other side of town is not an essential journey. 

I think if you are taking the car off the road then taking it to your storage on the other side of town is rather essential to do that.

2 hours ago, Soundwave said:

I feel I must speak up. Whilst I acknowledge your sentiments, there's no shortage of MOT slots that I'm aware of. I got 2 of mine MOTd on Thursday and Friday last week.

I just rotate them on twice weekly essential shopping trips and tinker with them at weekends. That way I'm sticking to the rules and it's good for my mental health which is a win-win situation.

Loved having our Saab 9-5 the last year and a half but it’s badly failed it MOT, might be the end of the road... I knew about most of it but didn’t realize the rust was so bad. Waiting for the quote but not going to be cheap! In my constantly changing mind this was going to replace our Hyundai as the main car and put some money into it. Now I’m thinking I’d be better off starting with a more solid base. It’s a shame as it’s the first car I’ve bought my wife has been enthusiastic about, she loves it! 

818C25DC-E523-45E8-9409-9DA9BB98F483.jpeg

BF232C2D-A986-43AF-B20C-384274F57912.jpeg

8209B7E8-5F04-4C5C-BB0D-E8104DEED277.png

E309397C-0789-4C9B-866F-27B234BE05B3.png

32 minutes ago, aldo135 said:

Loved having our Saab 9-5 the last year and a half but it’s badly failed it MOT, might be the end of the road... I knew about most of it but didn’t realize the rust was so bad. Waiting for the quote but not going to be cheap! In my constantly changing mind this was going to replace our Hyundai as the main car and put some money into it. Now I’m thinking I’d be better off starting with a more solid base. It’s a shame as it’s the first car I’ve bought my wife has been enthusiastic about, she loves it! 

I thought that wasn't too bad until I realised I hadn't scrolled to a second screenshot!

30 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

'Kinell, that's quite a list!!

I know eh! It was sitting a bit low at the back, I took it to a fast fit place a while back and he said it would just need springs by MOT time...  It’s not been getting used much recently with all that’s going on, was waiting on this before getting tyres and refurbed alloys, and a general tidy up. Part of me wants to do that still.  Not a sensible idea but I don’t come here for sensible advice 😂

It's a long list but tyres, brake pipes and lights are all just par for the course on an old car. My 9-5 failed on beam pattern last year and just needed the headlights polishing. My rear sills also needed welding but it was only a small 40mm square patch on the inner. Mirrors are easy to swap and should be readily available on ebay. 

Big ticket Items for me on that list will be the spring pan welding and the subframe bushes and they're not a certainty to be expensive. Could be worth saving yet. Fingers crossed for you.

41 minutes ago, aldo135 said:

35 minutes ago, blackboilersuit said:

It's a long list but tyres, brake pipes and lights are all just par for the course on an old car. My 9-5 failed on beam pattern last year and just needed the headlights polishing. My rear sills also needed welding but it was only a small 40mm square patch on the inner. Mirrors are easy to swap and should be readily available on ebay. 

Big ticket Items for me on that list will be the spring pan welding and the subframe bushes and they're not a certainty to be expensive. Could be worth saving yet. Fingers crossed for you.

Here’s hoping mate. I have a budget with the pubs being shut for nearly a year, will either fix this or buy a Koenigsegg.

1 hour ago, aldo135 said:

Fuck me, did you run over his dug on the road there?

1 hour ago, blackboilersuit said:

Subframe bushes can be done without removing the subframe if you replace with poly. Basically drill and holesaw the old ones out and use a jack to push the poly mount in from below, can be done on axle stands although a two post lift would make it a lot more agreeable! I would however consider dropping the subframe and treating with rust converter and chassis paint, this also allows a load of otherwise inaccessible parts to be dealt with (alternator, power steering pipes, oil pressure switch, rear engine mount).

I wonder if the suspension fail is for the shock mount? If so they are £35 and easy to change 

https://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=5318

55 minutes ago, Austat said:

Got some quality reading material in the mail today, will post some articles on the Shite Magazine Scans topic later:

IMG_5337.thumb.jpg.b9557485edc1d50d54ed366b2b1597dd.jpg

Is that an article within that discusses whether taking tests in order to get a license is a good idea or not, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

Last night on the way home from Tesco in the Iveco I did a 0-60 run down the bypass.  I can't tell you the result because the van failed to reach 60mph before I ran out of road.  I'll try again next time I have an essential journey to do, but I'll start from further back next time.  I might start off in second gear as well, see if that helps.

My app tells me the van got from 0-40 in 8 seconds and 0-60 in 16.6 - which sounds quite impressive until you realise that's km/h...

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Last night on the way home from Tesco in the Iveco I did a 0-60 run down the bypass.  I can't tell you the result because the van failed to reach 60mph before I ran out of road.  I'll try again next time I have an essential journey to do, but I'll start from further back next time.  I might start off in second gear as well, see if that helps.

My app tells me the van got from 0-40 in 8 seconds and 0-60 in 16.6 - which sounds quite impressive until you realise that's km/h...

You just* need some sticky tyres so you can put all the power down

Like this man demonstrating a 1760cc Perkins engined example of a mk1 transit

First Update for the Peugeot 406 I bought before Xmas from a fellow shiter... 

Until Monday it has been faultless, well by faultless I mean it had not let me down.  All my work tools fit into the boot and the heated seats stop me freezing to death. The vibration on acceleration is a bit irritating and it does not seem to have as much power as I would expect but I think that is the broken swirl flap actuator which I have not got round to fixing yet and the indicator stalk  is so floppy it often goes from right to left instead of off.  Anyway on Monday I jumped into it to go to work and there was a bit of a 'twang' followed by the right hand front of the car dropping by about 3 inches as I reversed up the drive. Hmm WTAF.  Looking underneath I found a coil of spring on the floor where the car was, well that was the twang then. 

My mechanic came round and cut the spring out and replaced it with a couple of pieces of wood ziptied to the strut and drove it to his garage. Amazingly Peugeot in their wisdom designed the rising rate strut springs so that if the smaller bottom of the spring snaps the rest of the spring falls over the strut and destroys the ABS wiring bracket on the way down before coming to rest embedded  in the driveshaft CV joint boot. God only knows what the result would have been if it had happened at 70mph. 

Two new springs, a straightened ABS bracket, a new CV boot and much cleaning of the very rusty top mounts later and the car is back. First impressions are that the acceleration vibration has reduced and the steering is much lighter. The car sits a little higher and is a little less floppy around the front end. While he was underneath he noticed a slight oil leak from the crank seal which can be contained by filling the oil up as and when so can wait until I get round to replacing the timing belt and a very rusty oil filter which would suggest it has not had a proper service for a while. So a full service has gone to the top of the to do list.

All in all I am still very pleased with what I now remember is the second Peugeot I have owned the first was also an estate but was a 404 which I owned in the mid 80s.