The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, egg said:

Look forward to the scientific* results @Stanky, haven't bought any yet, because I have no real justification to travel to my SORN'd Mondeo which is about 1.5 miles from home, but if they work for you I'll co-ordinate an essential trip and put some in.

They definitely work. I’ve been through loads of them! 

1 minute ago, Stanky said:

thats the bit that slightly concerns me! I might put a washing up tub underneath just in case!

Yeah they dripped slightly on the dash and head unit. The residue they leave feels slightly sticky but cleaned up ok. You could always try the other version which is like a plastic tub? 

7 hours ago, Stanky said:

Thanks to the tip-off from @Jerzy Woking and several others on here, my order of 6 wardrobe dehumidifiers arrived here this morning.

One duly unpacked and hung up in the mercedes. I'll see how its looking at 5pm today and report back. I need to put one in the Daewoo too actually.

I got 6 for £8 from ebay and they are quite a bit bigger than I expected - they'll hold probably half a litre of water in the colostomy bag bit at the bottom I reckon. 

What are the chemicals listed? I’m curious as to how it claims to work.

26 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

What are the chemicals listed? I’m curious as to how it claims to work.

The ones I have here contain:

Calcium Oxide
Activated Carbon
Fragrant Particle (singular, presumably?)

So I'm not quite sure of the chemistry? it says the crystals in the top bit absorb water vapour, dissolve and drip down into the collecting bag in the bottom as liquid

27 minutes ago, Stanky said:

The ones I have here contain:

Calcium Oxide
Activated Carbon
Fragrant Particle (singular, presumably?)

So I'm not quite sure of the chemistry? it says the crystals in the top bit absorb water vapour, dissolve and drip down into the collecting bag in the bottom as liquid

The calcium oxide will absorb water vapour and I suppose given enough will turn to liq. It will be a caustic solution though, not just water. The activated carbon and smell will just be there to absorb smells and mask damp smell. I use phosphorus pentoxide as a drying agent for the glovebox at work ( and that is very caustic when wet and will stick to your skin in a very aggressive way).

15 hours ago, crad said:

the mighty clio lives to fight another day, after a hazard light switch. now to sort those advisories at some point, and the leaking bloody sunroof.

EED78C30-B39E-4298-ACF6-8BD9ECC7FE13.png

Leaking sunroof on the Clio is usually the sunroof frame seal to the roof of the car.

A 10mm ratchet spanner and some butyl tape and you should be fine.

It is a fiddly job but not actually difficult, I've done 3 and had no leaks afterwards.

18 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I ordered a 3 pack off eBay as a trial - they arrived this morning.  I'm going to hang them in the chosen vehicles tonight and see how they get on. 

Wuv, do you have a link to the 3 pack you ordered.

26 minutes ago, Tickman said:

Leaking sunroof on the Clio is usually the sunroof frame seal to the roof of the car.

It is a fiddly job but not actually difficult, I've done 3 and had no leaks afterwards.

Yes. Had this on mine.  It was a struggle getting behind the roof lining but not really difficult.  Mine had most of the bolts missing, from new apparently! 

1 hour ago, Tickman said:

oh grand, I'll have to give that a try at some point

740 news: I'm awaiting delivery of a HBOL but in my infinite* wisdom* I decided to have a go, as usual to suffer complete and utter lack of understanding. I'm sure they will help me out.

I've been told by the Volvo forum that I need to re-tension the cambelt after it having a new one last year courtesy of PO.

All well and good if you know what you're doing!

Anyway I'm tinkering. It feels good.

I've also established that the windscreen washers work as do the head lamp washers. There may be washer leaks yet but the mechanicals are good at least.

Ibiza news: it works. Mondeo news: It works.

Nothing else to report.

20210112_115358.jpg

20210112_122636.jpg

Went out to the tip with a carful of cardboard boxes earlier and there is not a molecule of water in the dehumidifier yet, though the crystals had stuck together, suggesting it was absorbing some liquid, just not enough to form actual drips.

I'll keep an eye on it, apparently they have an expected lifespan of 3-6 weeks.

FURTHER MOT extensions in Northern Ireland - so a good number of cars haven't had the Man from the Ministry look at them for 2 years now.

I did wonder whether we might see much shorter extensions return in England this month, but nothing from DVLA

Took the ML for it's Bulgarian Pregleg and used different testing station to the last one

They actually checked the emissions at this place!

Well,I say checked.

What they actually did was turn the machine on,took 5 samples of the desktop that the probe was lying on,and declared it "Dobre"  (ok)

Works for me!

20 minutes ago, andy18s said:

Took the ML for it's Bulgarian Pregleg and used different testing station to the last one

They actually checked the emissions at this place!

Well,I say checked.

What they actually did was turn the machine on,took 5 samples of the desktop that the probe was lying on,and declared it "Dobre"  (ok)

Works for me!

Sounds like a garage you want to keep friendly! 

51 minutes ago, yes oui si said:

IMG_20210112_114504.thumb.jpg.5598c517abb367af34aaa25f8320995c.jpg

That's pretty fucking close. Some redrilling and filing along with decent washers and flanged nuts will do the job. I'll sleeve the bottom of the shock where it clamps. 

3" drop straight away, with nearly 4" of downward adjustment available. 

Bit OTT for a bonnet prop innit?

4 hours ago, Stanky said:

Went out to the tip with a carful of cardboard boxes earlier and there is not a molecule of water in the dehumidifier yet, though the crystals had stuck together, suggesting it was absorbing some liquid, just not enough to form actual drips.

I'll keep an eye on it, apparently they have an expected lifespan of 3-6 weeks.

I had to take the Mercedes to work today. After siphoning half a litre of water out of the passenger foot well!

4 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

FURTHER MOT extensions in Northern Ireland - so a good number of cars haven't had the Man from the Ministry look at them for 2 years now.

I did wonder whether we might see much shorter extensions return in England this month, but nothing from DVLA

Wow that's really pushing it, 2 years!

Boss's daughter had a little mishap in her Polio

20210112_112936.thumb.jpg.736a23fca24de86420bf1c3a7476c0ef.jpg

It might have been better if she didn't brake, as the damage was all above the crash bar. Having ripped off all the damaged plastic bits, it's surprisingly unscathed, so the hunt is on for a donor

20210113_152639.thumb.jpg.f69486ebc424ecc200f5244ef857f456.jpg20210113_152759.thumb.jpg.4418c20ab95245ca4e2d32f4155d7f1b.jpg

do you like our jack?

20210113_152656.jpg