The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

It's a shit riot, they've not turned over any cars and nothing is on fire. They're just milling around like freshly castrated cattle.

If they were Berliners... Fuck me every VAG shite would be on its roof...

Anyway. Ahem. What Politics? It's Wednesday, Europe is a continent. America is also a continent, or two depending on how you see it.

Questions? I thought not.

36 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

If they were Berliners... Fuck me every VAG shite would be on its roof...

Anyway. Ahem. What Politics? It's Wednesday, Europe is a continent. America is also a continent, or two depending on how you see it.

Questions? I thought not.

More of an incontinent at the moment.

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

My 9000 will be a couple of days getting it’s brake lines done...

Whilst I’m there he says “don’t fancy another do you mate as a spares car” and points towards what (in the dark) appears to be a reasonably straight looking black 9000... 

Apparently the oil pump has gone knackering the engine.

So yeah, I’ve been offered another project car for £200... 🤔🤔🤔 tempting. 

FTFY

11 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Oh give over

Trump is a grade a lunatic, it shows just how low the IQ of the average trump supporter is, and how are they allowed to carry rifles and semi-automatic assault rifles in public? It is insane.

4 people dead. One shot. 3 in "medical emergencies" 

Trump really is mentally unstable. Here's hoping he's sectioned under sort sort of mental health act. 

17 hours ago, Stanky said:

MOT day tomorrow for the mercedes, last year it was £312 in total, will it be more or less this year do we think?

150741.jpg

What'll it be, Slobodan?

Whats that Slobodan? Lower?

image.thumb.png.ae03e21ca1bfbded11c2119edd3edeee.png

Congratulations sir, you are correct.

The worn bushes have been a feature 3 years running now, otherwise a perfect bill of health. Nice.

So it's hire van time again. I've not had a hire van since before Christmas. But first let me explain why I have it. My normal van, a 12 reg Pug Partner has said on the display 'risk of filter clogging' for a couple of weeks. I'd ignored it for a while but mentioned it to the bloke in charge of our vans yesterday. I know you can somehow clear the PDF filters by going for a blast down the motorway but that's never going to happen on my duty. To get to a motorway, go for a blast and come back is going to take best part of an hour. So he says, and I quote, these three words in this exact order, just rag it! The man in charge of our vans says Just Rag It. I want that on a T shirt. So I thought why not and as I pulled out into Shirley Rd I left it in second gear up to 30mph and stayed there til I caught something up. When I backed off the dashboard sign changed to 'Engine Fault' and it went into limp mode so I could rag it no more. More worrying (being in limp mode isn't really a problem, I only do six miles a day which is why we have problems with the DPF filters in the first place) was that when I got to my first drop the cooling fan stayed on in full hovercraft mode. This was worrying because I thought it might flatten the battery and I was right at the start of my delivery. Turns out it would turn off after about ten minutes but if you only moved it a hundred yards it would come on and stay on again. So I used it less than normal, parking it in the middle where I would normally park it twice and just walk a bit further. 

Anyway, I made it back and chucked in a defect form and this morning I was given this. 

IMG_20210107_110014.thumb.jpg.2310545e77c38c44eb3cc335832d004e.jpg

Which claims to be a Vauxhaull Vivaro but it's not is it, its obviously some sort of PSA device with a Vauxhaull badge on. We also have a Citroën flavour one on hire, it's obviously the same thing. 

IMG_20210107_091934.thumb.jpg.411659826b5033344d0993c9515bad81.jpg

This is obviously part of the PSA takeover but first impressions are not good. It's not as good as the previous Vivaro in any way except possibly the turning circle but even then it's nearly four turns lock to lock which is completely unnecessary for anything with power steering. 

Then there's the seats. 

IMG_20210107_110038.thumb.jpg.c7af211b6bb34ac8fc2bcea8f2fc55be.jpg

They have pleather edging but the fabric bit was also slippery. They were flat hard and slippery with very little support. And the brakes are standard PSA which is either on or off with nothing in between. Which basically means trying not  to use them and just coasting and using the gears. You can't approach junctions with any confidence as 1mm extra pressure on the pedal results in in your neatly* stacked piles of packets all ending up against the front bulkhead in one big pile. 

IMG_20210107_110101.thumb.jpg.92f259684caba502e08c73ce516a538c.jpg

The steering wheel was a horrible hard plastic, even harder than my Favorit which at least has the excuse of being from a 1980s communist country. Coupled with the fact my hands were freezing and had also gone hard and and shiny (the temperature peaked at 1° around lunch before dropping back to zero by 2 o'clock ) made it quite hard to grip. Coupled with the very low gearing made for an unpleasant drive. And it was barely faster than my Partner was in limp mode. 

And there was an old shower cap round the gear lever. 

IMG_20210107_110124.thumb.jpg.79f85329129c9d2d22377b42597bdf72.jpg

Don't know why and I left it well alone. 

It made me wonder why they couldn't have kept the previous Vivaro and put PSA badges on that but then it occurred to me that that is also the Renault Trafic. I know there is slot of badge engineering in vans but to have Renault and Peugeot versions of the same thing might be a step too far. Which got me wondering what's going on at Luton these days? Genuine question, does anyone know. The 18 reg Vivaro I had last year had a Made in Britain badge on the back so I assume that was Luton. So did they also make the Renault and Nissan versions of the same thing? I assume the van I had today was made in France as it really is just a Pug and it certainly didn't have a Made in Britain badge. I'm sure if Luton had shut I would have seen it somewhere but what are they making? 

And finally, this amused me. 

IMG_20210107_092407.thumb.jpg.bf4c90536be3d03b8619c317ca4c6103.jpg

It was diesel but the power bit was lacking. I'd not heard this before but it did sound like all their other stuff. 

On 1/6/2021 at 7:05 PM, brownnova said:

My 9000 will be a couple of days getting it’s brake lines done...

Whilst I’m there he says “don’t fancy another do you mate as a spares car” and points towards what (in the dark) appears to be a reasonably straight looking black 9000... 

Apparently the oil pump has gone knackering the engine.

So yeah, I’ve been offered a complete spares car for £200... 🤔🤔🤔 tempting. 

@Supernaut get your wallet out

@brownnova my finders fees are reasonable for all sales resulting from this post😉

51 minutes ago, Yoss said:

So it's hire van time again. I've not had a hire van since before Christmas. But first let me explain why I have it. My normal van, a 12 reg Pug Partner has said on the display 'risk of filter clogging' for a couple of weeks. I'd ignored it for a while but mentioned it to the bloke in charge of our vans yesterday. I know you can somehow clear the PDF filters by going for a blast down the motorway but that's never going to happen on my duty. To get to a motorway, go for a blast and come back is going to take best part of an hour. So he says, and I quote, these three words in this exact order, just rag it! The man in charge of our vans says Just Rag It. I want that on a T shirt. So I thought why not and as I pulled out into Shirley Rd I left it in second gear up to 30mph and stayed there til I caught something up. When I backed off the dashboard sign changed to 'Engine Fault' and it went into limp mode so I could rag it no more. More worrying (being in limp mode isn't really a problem, I only do six miles a day which is why we have problems with the DPF filters in the first place) was that when I got to my first drop the cooling fan stayed on in full hovercraft mode. This was worrying because I thought it might flatten the battery and I was right at the start of my delivery. Turns out it would turn off after about ten minutes but if you only moved it a hundred yards it would come on and stay on again. So I used it less than normal, parking it in the middle where I would normally park it twice and just walk a bit further. 

Anyway, I made it back and chucked in a defect form and this morning I was given this. 

Which claims to be a Vauxhaull Vivaro but it's not is it, its obviously some sort of PSA device with a Vauxhaull badge on. We also have a Citroën flavour one on hire, it's obviously the same thing. 

This is obviously part of the PSA takeover but first impressions are not good. It's not as good as the previous Vivaro in any way except possibly the turning circle but even then it's nearly four turns lock to lock which is completely unnecessary for anything with power steering. 

Then there's the seats. 

They have pleather edging but the fabric bit was also slippery. They were flat hard and slippery with very little support. And the brakes are standard PSA which is either on or off with nothing in between. Which basically means trying not  to use them and just coasting and using the gears. You can't approach junctions with any confidence as 1mm extra pressure on the pedal results in in your neatly* stacked piles of packets all ending up against the front bulkhead in one big pile. 

The steering wheel was a horrible hard plastic, even harder than my Favorit which at least has the excuse of being from a 1980s communist country. Coupled with the fact my hands were freezing and had also gone hard and and shiny (the temperature peaked at 1° around lunch before dropping back to zero by 2 o'clock ) made it quite hard to grip. Coupled with the very low gearing made for an unpleasant drive. And it was barely faster than my Partner was in limp mode. 

And there was an old shower cap round the gear lever. 

Don't know why and I left it well alone. 

It made me wonder why they couldn't have kept the previous Vivaro and put PSA badges on that but then it occurred to me that that is also the Renault Trafic. I know there is slot of badge engineering in vans but to have Renault and Peugeot versions of the same thing might be a step too far. Which got me wondering what's going on at Luton these days? Genuine question, does anyone know. The 18 reg Vivaro I had last year had a Made in Britain badge on the back so I assume that was Luton. So did they also make the Renault and Nissan versions of the same thing? I assume the van I had today was made in France as it really is just a Pug and it certainly didn't have a Made in Britain badge. I'm sure if Luton had shut I would have seen it somewhere but what are they making? 

And finally, this amused me. 

It was diesel but the power bit was lacking. I'd not heard this before but it did sound like all their other stuff. 

Stand to be corrected here, but wasn't the old Vivaro based on a Renault, rather than the other way round? It would explain the shift to a re-badged PSA van as maybe Vauxhall's new owners didn't want to be in bed with Renault.