The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

my polo  I bought back in may '18 for £100 broke down for the first  time the other week then got worse, it was now a 3 cylinder that smoked like a 2smoke and done  35mph flat out.

Scrapyard  gave me £100.28 for it.

I suppose 75000 miles and 23 years is a good innings for a VW 

*pic from when I magically  made it look reasonable from a distance

20210105_222320.jpg

Due to recent disposals, 2x MOT fails and two on SORN I currently don’t own anything bigger than a Fiat 500c. Bollocks. Not ideal when you need to collect a week’s worth of shopping for a family of 6 and an audio production desk as you’re going to be working at home until next year. 

Enter my neighbour stage left, chucking me the keys to this. His Chuckle Bus. 

BB77AEFA-94A8-441B-987C-E771A8824C96.thumb.jpeg.a7a524f219d6fb0fa0b494c8bed78179.jpeg

These are brilliant aren’t they? Swallowed the whole load effortlessly 😏

FE9E6538-77F2-4884-B097-ED5DE68C9763.thumb.jpeg.64282e7cbc73e4712078fe845728281c.jpeg

I love how practical they are. Why doesn’t everyone own one? They make 100x more sense than any soft reader or MPV or whatever.  Also makes a sound like a distressed cat when the turbo kicks in YO. 

They did them as 7 seater right? Hope so!

A86FBE51-2333-4D6A-9B6A-3438A8EBAE42.jpeg.1b78a275f689ca69f02646746a255ce6.jpeg

With the 9000 at the garage for its MoT I had no choice* but to wield the 2CV for the early morning commute today!

4FB4A33E-5DD6-4032-A6C0-A54EE97B70D7.jpeg

The 9k has scored a fail on brake pipes... not too bad that! 

*no choice other than the other fleet members I could have used. 

13 hours ago, Dannyk said:

my polo  I bought back in may '18 for £100 broke down for the first  time the other week then got worse, it was now a 3 cylinder that smoked like a 2smoke and done  35mph flat out.

Scrapyard  gave me £100.28 for it.

I suppose 75000 miles and 23 years is a good innings for a VW 

*pic from when I magically  made it look reasonable from a distance

20210105_222320.jpg

That's decent motoring I think! You definitely got your money's worth, I'd say!

Stopped the car this morning to unlock the gate to the workshop carpark. Got out, started unlocking. Noticed car was rolling towards me, so hurriedly turned and pushed the wing to stop it. Stopped it. On my foot. Now pinned to the spot in the middle of nowhere, in the dark. Whimpered. Thought. Whimpered a bit more. Wrenched my foot out of my shoe.

My foot hurts. One click is not enough handbrake.

:(

1 hour ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

I've just learnt that Andromeda is going to collide with our milky way in 4 billion years time. In light of this, I've started to stockpile toilet roll.

Presumably no-one's told you what the Sun is planning to do 4 billion years on Tuesday?

3 hours ago, Bren said:

Getting a slot for Iceland or Asda is akin to winning the lottery.

When did life get so shite?

Surprised at that - Iceland near me (not the store I work in) is busy but has availability from Friday onwards.  They do seem to have slightly reduced capacity this week though, not sure why  

I don’t think I would be able to get a Tesco/Asda slot mind. 

From where I am (Cambridgeshire) the supermarkets are playing it very, very well.

My Mother and Father in Law (He is clinically vulnerable) can get Tesco and Iceland twice a week if they want it.  Me (Young gay fresh and funky) can't - but can get Click and Collect slots at 50 pence or whatever.  The 85 item limit is just about right and stops people getting silly (cuntish) about it all.

No doubt there are people in the middle who are frightened and can't easily get deliveries, but in the main they're doing a good job of limiting slots (2 in advance) and prioritising the right people.

It's a shame that people can't just be human about stuff, but I've given up being surprised about that now.  If you don't expect, you're never disappointed.

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

From where I am (Cambridgeshire) the supermarkets are playing it very, very well.

My Mother and Father in Law (He is clinically vulnerable) can get Tesco and Iceland twice a week if they want it.  Me (Young gay fresh and funky) can't - but can get Click and Collect slots at 50 pence or whatever.  The 85 item limit is just about right and stops people getting silly (cuntish) about it all.

No doubt there are people in the middle who are frightened and can't easily get deliveries, but in the main they're doing a good job of limiting slots (2 in advance) and prioritising the right people.

It's a shame that people can't just be human about stuff, but I've given up being surprised about that now.  If you don't expect, you're never disappointed.

Meanwhile I delivered to the same customer on both Saturday and Sunday last week. 🤦‍♂️

My 9000 will be a couple of days getting it’s brake lines done...

Whilst I’m there he says “don’t fancy another do you mate as a spares car” and points towards what (in the dark) appears to be a reasonably straight looking black 9000... 

Apparently the oil pump has gone knackering the engine.

So yeah, I’ve been offered a complete spares car for £200... 🤔🤔🤔 tempting. 

2 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Surprised at that - Iceland near me (not the store I work in) is busy but has availability from Friday onwards.  They do seem to have slightly reduced capacity this week though, not sure why  

I don’t think I would be able to get a Tesco/Asda slot mind. 

We’ve just had a delivery from Asda and booked our next one...plenty of availability from Monday onwards.

16 minutes ago, brownnova said:

My 9000 will be a couple of days getting it’s breaker lines done...

Whilst I’m there he says “don’t fancy another do you mate as a spares car” and points towards what (in the dark) appears to be a reasonably straight looking black 9000... 

Apparently the oil pump has gone knackering the engine.

So yeah, I’ve been offered a complete spares car for £200... 🤔🤔🤔 tempting. 

It will pay for itself in no time flat...

5 hours ago, crad said:

its not much but I did my first piece of work on my own car- the herculean* task of the front wiper blades and a rear lightbulb.  slightly broke the clip of the drivers wiper blade but i'm sure that will hold, it seems very tight (fnarr) anyway.

First step is the first step.

Good work, I say!