The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 hours ago, Craig the Princess said:

A friend has offered to do the head gasket on the Saab 900 convertible of many shiters as he is a mechanic between jobs.

So I've just spent £300 on a timing belt kit, locking tool and radiator for it and feel a little sick as I always do when spending more than £10.

Yes, I'm aware a newer one with a full mot and a proper gearbox is for sale on here for much less than the cost of getting it fixed but I'm an idiot.

Thank you for being you. 

due to a cancellation I pulled the Discovery in the workshop to have a look for the dead short on the sidelights. Looked at the wiring in the front as the insulation has disintergrated, nope nothing here. Had a look at the number-plate lights then the wiring through the tailgate, nope. Lights in the bumper, hmm. Removed the bulbs and fitted a 15amp fuse instead of 10amp. Seemed fine for about 5 minutes then no power supply to the fuse. Who knew there are two fuses to the sidelights. One in the car and one under the bonnet. Eventually I had to look at the rear lights. Discovery 1 rear lights are a bit fiddly with the extra seats in the back. Have a look at what I found

Uploaded Images

IMG_0075.JPG

Yeah some previous bodger has linked a wire from one side to the other and soldered onto the circuit board. The solder has come loose and is shorting out on another part of the board.

Might be the same bodger who used tin, sikaflex and filler on the sills when I first bought it 4 years ago.

7 hours ago, Pete-M said:

Snow has finally arrived in this little corner of Germany. Which means I really need to buy winter tyres.  Luckily, they appear a fair bit cheaper here than in the UK. Probably because they're a legal requirement. Looking at around €350 for a set of Nokian jobs, which seems cheap when I was quoted £200 each just for the rears in the UK (245/40/17).

It's pretty here in the snow though 

Do it quickly. Whether you get a fine for driving around on summer tyres might be based on what the conditions are on the day, but if you have an accident in wintry conditions on summer tyres your insurance probably won't pay out.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

Do it quickly. Whether you get a fine for driving around on summer tyres might be based on what the conditions are on the day, but if you have an accident in wintry conditions on summer tyres your insurance probably won't pay out.

I know. That's why they're getting done. 

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

Not to be rude but that is just flat out untrue. 

Enough people run scared from the poxy government-mandated insurance racket without adding misinformation like this.

75 booked in for its MOT on Thursday and Audi on Friday. The test station is only 10 minutes walk so thought I might as well get them cleared. I know the Audi was a bit borderline in emissions last year so I'll take a roundabout route to get it properly warmed up. I'm hoping both won't throw up too many hidden issues.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

75 booked in for its MOT on Thursday and Audi on Friday. The test station is only 10 minutes walk so thought I might as well get them cleared. I know the Audi was a bit borderline in emissions last year so I'll take a roundabout route to get it properly warmed up. I'm hoping both won't throw up too many hidden issues.

My Tigra is booked in on Thursday as well for it's MOT. Taking bets on which previously unseen warning light will illuminate on the way to the test station

2 hours ago, SRi05 said:

My Tigra is booked in on Thursday as well for it's MOT. Taking bets on which previously unseen warning light will illuminate on the way to the test station

There won't be any, I took all the bulbs out ;) 

I didn't really, did you fix the exhaust on it?

4 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

There won't be any, I took all the bulbs out ;) 

I didn't really, did you fix the exhaust on it?

There was some bodgery yes, I really should just get it replaced as a new centre section isn't expensive at all, I'll see what they have to say about it.  Other than that I'm hoping it'll be fine, hasn't gave me any grief since picking it up. 

my polo  I bought back in may '18 for £100 broke down for the first  time the other week then got worse, it was now a 3 cylinder that smoked like a 2smoke and done  35mph flat out.

Scrapyard  gave me £100.28 for it.

I suppose 75000 miles and 23 years is a good innings for a VW 

*pic from when I magically  made it look reasonable from a distance

20210105_222320.jpg

Due to recent disposals, 2x MOT fails and two on SORN I currently don’t own anything bigger than a Fiat 500c. Bollocks. Not ideal when you need to collect a week’s worth of shopping for a family of 6 and an audio production desk as you’re going to be working at home until next year. 

Enter my neighbour stage left, chucking me the keys to this. His Chuckle Bus. 

BB77AEFA-94A8-441B-987C-E771A8824C96.thumb.jpeg.a7a524f219d6fb0fa0b494c8bed78179.jpeg

These are brilliant aren’t they? Swallowed the whole load effortlessly 😏

FE9E6538-77F2-4884-B097-ED5DE68C9763.thumb.jpeg.64282e7cbc73e4712078fe845728281c.jpeg

I love how practical they are. Why doesn’t everyone own one? They make 100x more sense than any soft reader or MPV or whatever.  Also makes a sound like a distressed cat when the turbo kicks in YO. 

They did them as 7 seater right? Hope so!

A86FBE51-2333-4D6A-9B6A-3438A8EBAE42.jpeg.1b78a275f689ca69f02646746a255ce6.jpeg

With the 9000 at the garage for its MoT I had no choice* but to wield the 2CV for the early morning commute today!

4FB4A33E-5DD6-4032-A6C0-A54EE97B70D7.jpeg

The 9k has scored a fail on brake pipes... not too bad that! 

*no choice other than the other fleet members I could have used. 

13 hours ago, Dannyk said:

my polo  I bought back in may '18 for £100 broke down for the first  time the other week then got worse, it was now a 3 cylinder that smoked like a 2smoke and done  35mph flat out.

Scrapyard  gave me £100.28 for it.

I suppose 75000 miles and 23 years is a good innings for a VW 

*pic from when I magically  made it look reasonable from a distance

20210105_222320.jpg

That's decent motoring I think! You definitely got your money's worth, I'd say!