The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 minute ago, N19 said:

My favourite job! Everyone loves smelling of cat piss...

The worst part is that I've had a bottle of gearbox oil in the boot of my Saab since a couple of weeks after I bought it (in late June) and it even has a lovely plastic filler neck on the gearbox, clearly visible in the engine bay!

No excuse!

1 hour ago, N19 said:

Which axle? For some I believe it's quite easy to whap the rear cover off. Mine's a banjo where the cover is on the other side though.

I have an old soap pump bottle from the kitchen which I use to top up gear/diff oil as required. Thoroughly recommend for awkwardly mounted fill holes high up on the side of boxes!

Sadly, no rear cover on mine either.

0E479CA4-5566-49AA-A07B-B208CB1B45DA.thumb.jpeg.2e32c9c592268764c869f9adde256bb1.jpeg

I might steal your soap pump bottle idea, it’s awkward using the spouts on the oil bottles and trying to squeeze them to force oil out. I did fill the Capri up using one of those little oil cans with the little pump handle but it took ages and made my thumb ache!

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Evas watching some horse tripe on netflix and I keep spinning the plates through the mot checker... 

There's a vw camper in this episodes plot, typical shiny outside and modern plates for a 1976 van

SmartSelect_20201230-161156_Chrome.thumb.jpg.272b458537a5072b4d6bcf17f00539d1.jpg

Had that twice in a month too before suddenly a pass with all the welding gone... 

Glad I’m not the only one that does that! Inspector morse, lovejoy and minder are great for this.

1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

Sadly, no rear cover on mine either.

0E479CA4-5566-49AA-A07B-B208CB1B45DA.thumb.jpeg.2e32c9c592268764c869f9adde256bb1.jpeg

I might steal your soap pump bottle idea, it’s awkward using the spouts on the oil bottles and trying to squeeze them to force oil out. I did fill the Capri up using one of those little oil cans with the little pump handle but it took ages and made my thumb ache!

Got compressed air? Make a hole in the top of the bottle, pipe into diff and blow air in the hole on the top of the bottle.  

I actually managed about two hours down at the garage before I got a bit parky. First up was an alternator swap on the Capri. Newer alternators seem to have a slightly larger pulley, thus needing a fanbelt one size up from usual. Proper tensioning to follow tomorrow and the obligatory test run if it's not too salty. 

IMG_20201230_202425.thumb.jpg.459ecdca962d36380d0d149be3b27e9b.jpg

That done, I decided to sort out the corner of the garage where I should have some more workbench space. I've also improvised a parts/grubby hands washer out of two old adblue cartons and an old ikea bookshelf for extra ingenuity. The shelf at high level should hopefully clear some of the crap out of the way so that I can keep the work area clear for whatever I'm working on. I have somewhere some extra LED rope light to go round there to light up properly. 

IMG_20201230_205057.thumb.jpg.b44874d9cddca56f6f04ff0ba78558c2.jpg

IMG_20201230_202425.jpg

Well i have just ordered up new discs and pads for it (the green stuff ones are absolute Horseshit) and i have even found a good second hand exhaust for it in Tunbridge Wells.

And it needs,i hope just the wheel balancing as there is strange vibration at 70 mph.

Once that's done and i'm happy then it'll need to find a new home and i will offer it on here first.

Ran an essential* errand today, took the Audi.

Took my seatbelt off.

Ah yes, that could be suboptimal in a crash. No idea how that came loose. I did notice it was loose but I thought that it was meant to be articulated and didn't realise that it was actually loose. I have a suspicion that a garage may have done this to assist the belt retraction as they're a bit slow. I will sort this properly when the weather is better.

Also, life in winter with a 20 year old convertible:

IMG_20201231_123317.thumb.jpg.3d70054f9eedb7fdf82fb92929654103.jpg

IMG_20201231_123327.thumb.jpg.e943def7e553565d639353a80513d0ce.jpg

The carpets are actually bone dry, it's just to stop drips onto the seats from the door seals. The dehumidifiers haven't collected any moisture in a week either so that's good.

Still a GR9 car though, hopefully won't need much for it's upcoming MOT.

IMG_20201231_123538.thumb.jpg.f8c4f4e36fde760ad04afa5a2cbb5091.jpg

8 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Ran an essential* errand today, took the Audi.

Took my seatbelt off.

Ah yes, that could be suboptimal in a crash. No idea how that came loose. I did notice it was loose but I thought that it was meant to be articulated and didn't realise that it was actually loose. I have a suspicion that a garage may have done this to assist the belt retraction as they're a bit slow. I will sort this properly when the weather is better.

Also, life in winter with a 20 year old convertible:

IMG_20201231_123317.thumb.jpg.3d70054f9eedb7fdf82fb92929654103.jpg

IMG_20201231_123327.thumb.jpg.e943def7e553565d639353a80513d0ce.jpg

The carpets are actually bone dry, it's just to stop drips onto the seats from the door seals. The dehumidifiers haven't collected any moisture in a week either so that's good.

Still a GR9 car though, hopefully won't need much for it's upcoming MOT.

IMG_20201231_123538.thumb.jpg.f8c4f4e36fde760ad04afa5a2cbb5091.jpg

A lovely car that, has done you very well so far. 

Ah...the early days of experimenting with 3D printing.  Attempt 1 at this model failed to adhere to the print bed and was sent skittering off across the floor by the extruder at about 45%.

Cleaned the build plate and tried again.

This time it's bonded sufficiently well to the build plate that I could probably lift the printer, desk and house foundations by the print stuck to the build plate.

What fun!

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Those dehumidifiers are shite though.  I've got two in the Felicia and neither of them has collected anything despite it being 99.9% humidity in there.

I've had similar experience. 

Happy New Year folks, have we had a new year's resolution thread yet? Even though most people's will probably be 'buy cars, fix cars, sell cars at loss, move on'

When my 924 got rained on (combination of leaky sunroof and garage numpties having both windows open during a down pour for MOT) I found out that the only way to get it dry was to towel out the puddles then leave it running with the heater and blowers running on full for a couple of days with the windows or the roof slightly open.

This was after finding portable dehumidifiers and fan heaters to be useless.

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

This was after finding portable dehumidifiers and fan heaters to be useless.

Conventional dehumidifiers are pretty useless but these dessicant ones are excellent: https://www.meaco.com/products/meaco-dd8l-junior-dehumidifier

As recommended by someone (me) who used to run a Discovery 1 with no less than four windows in the roof, all of which leaked.

12 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

The dehumidifiers haven't collected any moisture in a week either so that's good.

The Saab’s boot leaks... I ran a plug in dehumidifier in there for several hours and it did nothing... (ETA I did buy it secondhand of Facebook marketplace so there’s  chance it’s shite)

Its soaking in there! 

Oh and happy new year Shitesters! 

Got pulled over by a copper earlier - a careless overtake. Fair cop, it wasn't the best piece of driving, I was impatient at someone in front. Fortunately for me they checked out my license/insurance etc, gave me a verbal rollocking and said "Don't do it again", and said if I was seen doing it again today I'd get a ticket. I presume they record the details of the rollocking and if I was pulled over later today the coppers would be able to access that? Certainly put the fear of Darwin into me so I will be driving like a granny for the next few weeks methinks...