The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

So Kerry said to me last night, "do i want to drop the Rover off in the morning as i pass, and i take the piece of shit turd toyota?"

"no" said i, "no, i'll stick with the Rover, that other thing, you can keep it, i want nothing else to do with it, and besides, i know it won't start"

"oh yes it will"

"no. no it won't, and i'd bet you it won't"

"how much?"

ah a challenge, "i'll  bet 400 Quatloos that the turd won't go in  the morning"

well, apparently. it did. with no jump leads involved.

cos Kerrys brother was pushing it!

needless to say, i am now 400 Quatloos richer.

though i dunno how many quatloos there are to the pound......

Just been to collect a set of tyres from Buxton, I won on eBay.

Sat in sellers garage, was a 1989 I think, proton saga automatic.

14k from new, owner says it might be oldest left. Had left my phone down the road In the car, otherwise would have pictured it.

Nice bloke who owned it. Was a banger driver too but the proton is saved from that fate. 

20 hours ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Had to collect the bosses’ daughters mini from the dealer today . Looking across the used car lot what a load of monochrome misery . Had to laugh that the bill for the small service was for the same amount that I paid for my r50 Cooper

F61ADBD4-CAD1-4CD5-B170-25335FCA276C.jpeg

he he he 

stainless-steel-main-gate-500x500.jpg

3 hours ago, Stanky said:

What horn sound did it emit first time around? I'd like to think it was a slightly sad sounding, descending 'peeeeeeeeeeep' noise not unlike a clanger.

Sadly I'll never know since I can't remember ever having used it. Apparently I'd managed to bend it round so that it had filled with water. 

4 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

Just been to collect a set of tyres from Buxton, I won on eBay.

Sat in sellers garage, was a 1989 I think, proton saga automatic.

14k from new, owner says it might be oldest left. Had left my phone down the road In the car, otherwise would have pictured it.

Nice bloke who owned it. Was a banger driver too but the proton is saved from that fate. 

There's a ages old banger and caravan racing track at Harpur Hill, near the Mines Research place who developed computer modelling investigating the King's Cross fire. That's all within the confines of Buxton.

As is the International G&S festival.

1 hour ago, captain_70s said:

Bet that's a fetish.

It's how BL would have planned future styling updates. They would have called it computer aided design...

I mean compare the R8 Rover 2/400 with the next gen Rover 400 and the 100 series metro with the next gen 200 that replaced it.

I rest my case.

Spent most of the last week painting the inside of the house. 120 sqm of "innen wand farbe" which is some weird matt white paint stuff that's the standard issue wall painting gear out here in Germany. 

Two rooms and the hall ceiling left to do. It feels like it has been going on forever. One of the rooms is large, so that'll take a while, the other has previously been painted completely in probably the most miserable grey-blue colour I've ever seen. I imagine that'll take about 30 litres of stuff just to sort it. 

Still, the house is beginning to feel like a home now. It's hilarious trying to hang pictures or get furniture to sit square as the house is 400+ years old and half-timbered so everything is on the wonk. 

Lockdown means no visiting friends or whatever over Christmas, so I suspect I'll be spending Christmas doing yet more painting. 

It's been an interesting few weeks, but it's beginning to harvest results. 

IMG_20201216_095623_027.jpg

20201215_195850.jpg

7 hours ago, Pete-M said:
8 hours ago, artdjones said:

They love it applied over woodchip wallpaper.

One of the walls in the hall appears to have been artexed

Is it your own or rented? Normally with rented properties they are fairly strict. My brother said that the landlords, who are often large companies, insisted on you  removing all the wallpaper before you left.

4 hours ago, artdjones said:

Is it your own or rented? Normally with rented properties they are fairly strict. My brother said that the landlords, who are often large companies, insisted on you  removing all the wallpaper before you left.

Rented, but the landlord is a top bloke. 

On 22/12/2020 at 23:43, Tim_E said:

There's a ages old banger and caravan racing track at Harpur Hill, near the Mines Research place who developed computer modelling investigating the King's Cross fire. That's all within the confines of Buxton.

As is the International G&S festival.

The health and safety executive have labs thier too.  I once went to a 2 day machinery risk assessment course there.  

They showed us a safety shoe slip test machine that they use to assess the grip properties of soles vs different slippy surfaces. I was impressed. 

3 minutes ago, New POD said:

The health and safety executive have labs thier too.  I once went to a 2 day machinery risk assessment course there.  

They showed us a safety shoe slip test machine that they use to assess the grip properties of soles vs different slippy surfaces. I was impressed. 

I think the HSE is the proper name for what locals call Mines Research!

I used to fly model aircraft up there when I was young.

The history of the location is fascinating. It was a munitions storage facility in the second world war, then a mushroom farm, then a cutting edge industrial underground safely lab. I think there are other random industries too, including the banger race course.

They also used to do junior kickstart up there.

5 hours ago, artdjones said:

Some one I knew rented an apartment in Berlin.  Didn't come with curtain rails of blinds. You have to fit yourself and remove and make good before you leave. 

But she wasn't allowed to drill holes after 6pm and no DIY on The weekend, without a permit.  So she had to employ someone to fit blinds, during the day when she was at work. 

Just took the 2CV out for a Christmas Eve run seeing as the usual Christmas Day run won’t be happening as that’s the only day to actually see anyone.

I have concluded that the headlights on the 2CV are far better than those on my 9000.   So I should probably do something about those... 

7 hours ago, Tim_E said:

think the HSE is the proper name for what locals call Mines Research!

Was originally the Safety in Mines Research Establishment (SMRE). Main offices in Sheffield, the fire / explosion bits at Harper Hill above Buxton. Spent 6 months as a placement student there in the mid 70's.