The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 minutes ago, Asimo said:

So it can be comfortably used by either foot.

They advocate left foot braking in the roads?

Every time I drive an auto, which is occasionally ie when I'm driving my parents car with frail and very narky parents in it I catch it when ever there's a hazard to react to and give them cause to moan!

Driver error I know but it always gets me, just because it's only occasionally I drive it.

this morning the bastard toyota decided that it did not want to go to the shops this  morning.

as a reward for replacing the exhaust the other day, this morning it didnt want to go. it wouldn't start off our jump leads either, though it did go quiet happily off the roadside assistance fellas booster pack. 

and apparently kerry says it won't start this evening too, in spite of me taking it for a damn good thashing this afternoon.

so we need a new battery for it.

triffic.....

i did however get Kerry xmas present.

20201219_132439.thumb.jpg.75ea51842d2a9b1c031e508f81e2e007.jpg

nice eh?

20201219_132440.thumb.jpg.22edc5b5fed759f0a0767b912ad0f8f6.jpg

and that signature? its Harris Mann's its gone off to santa to be wrapped up in time for the big day.

50,000 miles into my same day courier adventure and today my breakdown cherry was finally popped.

Nearside rear tyre flat as a pancake, went on the M1. Luckily* for me it was in the smart upgrade section (just north of J13, just before the bit where you 'rev up your engines (it's Scotty Kilmer)' for the burst from 60 to 70mph. Thankfully there was a handy gap into the works access, so I was able to pull out of the live running lanes (recovery guy said well done for thinking on my feet...or rather my three working tyres anyway).

Lucky break was because it's free recovery in that section of roadworks, so I didn't need to fuck about ringing the RAC. 10 minutes and along came a recovery truck (BDV Recoveries, based in Yorkshire - bloody brilliant guys) took me back to Newport Pagnall to enable me to change the wheel. Naturally as soon as I get the wrench out, it chucked about a year's worth of rain onto Newport Pagnall service station. Amazingly the Combo had a full size spare, a brand new Continental no less.

Delivery accomplished, albeit two hours late. I offered to forego my fee for the job with the shipper which is the accepted etiquette in the trade - rang him and kept him updated, but he wouldn't have it, said 'shit happens' and that he'd ring me Monday with more work - top bloke.

Glad I've got that one done and dusted, should be okay for another 50K hopefully. Gonna take the busted Cross Climate down to F1 tomorrow to see if it's fixable, or if not get a replacement - can't really have three all-seasons and a summer tyre.

Been having a poke around the Iveco today - first time I've seen it in daylight.  It's just as scruffy in the light as it is in the dark.

DSC_1428.thumb.JPG.258ae5863d32545e6a03d4338cea88fe.JPG

DSC_1429.thumb.JPG.395a4dbad3059cc38d4641a37d3b8e6f.JPG

To be fair none of it is unexpected for a 24-year-old Iveco.  I have a feeling the most recent MOT test may have been somewhat lenient - the cab steps in particular are looking a little crunchy in places - but I suspected that would be the case so it's no surprise.  As is usual with these, the RSJs which make up the chassis are rock solid.

Opening the bonnet reveals a rather different state of affairs, and suddenly the 63K recorded mileage becomes more believable.  I don't think I've ever seen an old van engine that clean.  I do still struggle with the fact that something that size only makes the same amount of power as the 1-litre triple in a VW Up, but there you go.

DSC_1424.thumb.JPG.b0e3a1d652cfddd508ba6c1478802a5b.JPG

It has these high-security Yale type locks on all the doors, and a (presumably dealer fit) immobiliser, so I don't have to worry too much about it being nicked by Cavcraft in the middle of the night.

DSC_1426.thumb.JPG.ab59df13ab146d9c046c4376ffe4f4b1.JPG

In the back is pretty big.  I can stand up straight without banging my head.  I measured the load bay and it's actually 12' long and 5'6" wide, so the Innocenti would fit in - unfortunately the rear doors are only 5' so that might be a bit tight unless I take the mirrors off.  I will have to do some more measuring.  And then work out how the feck I'd get the Innocenti up there.  It would be useful to have the garage space though - I really don't like the Renault 6 living outside in the winter.  Alternatively I could sling a mattress, a gas burner and a Porta Potti in the back and become one of these Van Life wankers.

DSC_1425.thumb.JPG.0bb89f6827521d4f7979725685db97cd.JPG

The indicators decided that they were going to work fine today - not sure what they were playing at yesterday.  I am still going to invest in an electronic flasher relay though as the hazards are still dodgy.  The main beam turned out to be a relay issue after all - there are two separate main beam relays, one for the flasher and one for the main beam proper, and the latter had failed.  I've swapped them over for now, but I'll buy another relay in due course.  Everything else seems to work fine.  I've also temporarily bodged the hole in the exhaust with gun gum, which has quietened things down a bit.

It's definitely a heap, but so help me I do actually rather like it.  It's been a while since I've had a van which is nothing like driving a car whatsoever, and I do enjoy having something you have to actually "drive" rather than letting it do most of the work.  It really is basic - no electric windows, no central locking, no airbags, no ABS.  It doesn't even have PAS, which is unusual for one of these - although the steering is surprisingly manageable, much better than a non-PAS LT35 or LDV 400.  The gearbox takes a bit of getting used to with its dogleg first and oddly spaced ratios.  To my mind though that's how a commercial vehicle should be.  A little extra power wouldn't go amiss ( @BeEP's LDV400 would leave it behind in a drag race) but even then that makes you think ahead and conserve momentum so it's all good.  Overall a quite satisfactory purchase.

41 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Been having a poke around the Iveco today - first time I've seen it in daylight.  It's just as scruffy in the light as it is in the dark.

DSC_1428.thumb.JPG.258ae5863d32545e6a03d4338cea88fe.JPG

DSC_1429.thumb.JPG.395a4dbad3059cc38d4641a37d3b8e6f.JPG

To be fair none of it is unexpected for a 24-year-old Iveco.  I have a feeling the most recent MOT test may have been somewhat lenient - the cab steps in particular are looking a little crunchy in places - but I suspected that would be the case so it's no surprise.  As is usual with these, the RSJs which make up the chassis are rock solid.

Opening the bonnet reveals a rather different state of affairs, and suddenly the 63K recorded mileage becomes more believable.  I don't think I've ever seen an old van engine that clean.  I do still struggle with the fact that something that size only makes the same amount of power as the 1-litre triple in a VW Up, but there you go.

DSC_1424.thumb.JPG.b0e3a1d652cfddd508ba6c1478802a5b.JPG

It has these high-security Yale type locks on all the doors, and a (presumably dealer fit) immobiliser, so I don't have to worry too much about it being nicked by Cavcraft in the middle of the night.

DSC_1426.thumb.JPG.ab59df13ab146d9c046c4376ffe4f4b1.JPG

In the back is pretty big.  I can stand up straight without banging my head.  I measured the load bay and it's actually 12' long and 5'6" wide, so the Innocenti would fit in - unfortunately the rear doors are only 5' so that might be a bit tight unless I take the mirrors off.  I will have to do some more measuring.  And then work out how the feck I'd get the Innocenti up there.  It would be useful to have the garage space though - I really don't like the Renault 6 living outside in the winter.  Alternatively I could sling a mattress, a gas burner and a Porta Potti in the back and become one of these Van Life wankers.

DSC_1425.thumb.JPG.0bb89f6827521d4f7979725685db97cd.JPG

The indicators decided that they were going to work fine today - not sure what they were playing at yesterday.  I am still going to invest in an electronic flasher relay though as the hazards are still dodgy.  The main beam turned out to be a relay issue after all - there are two separate main beam relays, one for the flasher and one for the main beam proper, and the latter had failed.  I've swapped them over for now, but I'll buy another relay in due course.  Everything else seems to work fine.  I've also temporarily bodged the hole in the exhaust with gun gum, which has quietened things down a bit.

It's definitely a heap, but so help me I do actually rather like it.  It's been a while since I've had a van which is nothing like driving a car whatsoever, and I do enjoy having something you have to actually "drive" rather than letting it do most of the work.  It really is basic - no electric windows, no central locking, no airbags, no ABS.  It doesn't even have PAS, which is unusual for one of these - although the steering is surprisingly manageable, much better than a non-PAS LT35 or LDV 400.  The gearbox takes a bit of getting used to with its dogleg first and oddly spaced ratios.  To my mind though that's how a commercial vehicle should be.  A little extra power wouldn't go amiss ( @BeEP's LDV400 would leave it behind in a drag race) but even then that makes you think ahead and conserve momentum so it's all good.  Overall a quite satisfactory purchase.

Nice.

To me driving a van which doesn't have a dogleg first, huge steering wheel and a driving position so high you feel like you're sitting on the roof just feels wrong.

This is just how things are meant to be arranged.

IMG_20180802_220148.thumb.jpg.ca66543bae292c4e65eaef3696c061d7.jpg

I found out today my house mates have a Nissan Primera P11 wagon...and one with over 330,000 kilometers on it!

I had a quick drive - my first in a P11 - it's a surprisingly rorty car. Still on the original engine and clutch too. I can see why people like P11's. Not bad to drive at all.

It seems really solid - asides from a worn through carpet in the drivers footwell and a squishy steering wheel, it feels like has at least 150,000 kilometers less. Even the drivers seat bolster (seats trimmed in luscious velour) isn't worn through.

20201220_153650.thumb.jpg.6d961d1190a2966afa4d571396c25a41.jpg20201220_153659.thumb.jpg.f65b37b8b0999a8f7068fe760ec20a42.jpg20201220_153619.thumb.jpg.a1f20d1a336ceabc78dc766f9fc55be6.jpg

8 hours ago, barmatt said:

I'd love to stealth camper something like this, although I'd like a tad more than the 75hp this had from the factory.

What are / were the external power sockets for? 

They did them with outputs up to 122bhp - those actually go pretty well.  The sockets are now disconnected but I believe they were something to do with the mobile catering business the previous owner ran.

1 hour ago, Minimad5 said:

Can you drive these things on a normal car license, as that looks to have a twin axle ?

Yep, it's 3.5 tonne.  Twin wheels on 3.5-tonners used to be more common back in the day.

Just realised I'm posting this on page 2445 and the Iveco's engine is 2445cc.  Heh.

Another day, another collection mission. 

DSC_1430.thumb.JPG.f051b353e02d153fc6fb1c7affc587fa.JPG

The journey down is going to be rather more convoluted than Friday's trip, because Sunday, but hopefully the drive home will be more relaxing - today's purchase actually has exactly the same bhp as the Iveco but a small fraction of the weight. 

I and the vehicle both reside in Tier 2, but I have to venture through Tier 4 to get there.  As I understand it, as long as I get through as fast as I can, don't talk to anyone and don't make eye contact, it's legal.  Or something. 

24 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

The journey down is going to be rather more convoluted than Friday's trip, because Sunday, but hopefully the drive home will be more relaxing - today's purchase actually has exactly the same bhp as the Iveco but a small fraction of the weight. 

I and the vehicle both reside in Tier 2, but I have to venture through Tier 4 to get there.  As I understand it, as long as I get through as fast as I can, don't talk to anyone and don't make eye contact, it's legal.  Or something. 

You also need to hold your breath for the entire transit through T4, good luck and I doubt any kittens will die as a result !

28 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Bloody hell, man! You're a collecting machine!

Train cancelled due to a derailment, diverting to Waterloo.  50 minute wait for a connection so thought I'd take a stroll down to the south bank (daily exercise innit occifer).   It's pretty much deserted here too, considering it's a nice sunny Sunday.  Although a middle aged woman has just jogged past in an elf costume.  Because London. 

DSC_1433.thumb.JPG.efe744613cb744e42d7fa713185e5d09.JPG