The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

My 75 has a detachable towbar but I thought that the PO had sold the harness before I bought the car. Turns out that the electrics are just very, very well hidden so I could now tow things.

I have a pre 97 driving licence as well so, a whole new world.......

All I'm really planning is to get a hitch mounted cycle carrier though, towing something would likely end in disaster for me.

10 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

My 75 has a detachable towbar but I thought that the PO had sold the harness before I bought the car. Turns out that the electrics are just very, very well hidden so I could now tow things.

All I'm really planning is to get a hitch mounted cycle carrier though, towing something would likely end in disaster for me.

As long as you don't tow anything bigger than a Mercedes W115 you'll be fine.

10 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

If I had both the necessity and space for a trailer I'd look at a trailer licence (2005 licence for me).

I spent 10 months working at a certain major telecomms company towing a trailer around behind a van and it was fine. I've towed trailers behind tractors before, and I would get complimented in the yard about how well I reversed it. I actually found it amusing how some other new recruits were almost having kittens at the idea of towing a trailer, yet I just hooked it up and drove off. It's no big deal, really. You can see where it is in your mirrors and you just need to take it easy, and take corners a bit wider.

Something I hadn't realised was changing on 1/1/21 - at the moment you can import goods from outside the EU under the value of £15 and not pay any VAT - this is handy for low value orders from rockauto say. This exemption is being abolished from next month.

https://www.lovewell-blake.co.uk/news/vat-alert-low-value-consignment-relief

Another week, another MOT!

The timing could have worked out better if it wasn't for the absurd monstrosity of the absurd upcoming public holiday.

Anyway good luck Mondeo, it's been 17½ months since your last MOT.

I hope I get you back this afternoon without any drama.

3 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Another week, another MOT!

The timing could have worked out better if it wasn't for the absurd monstrosity of the absurd upcoming public holiday.

Anyway good luck Mondeo, it's been 17½ months since your last MOT.

I hope I get you back this afternoon without any drama.

Has it been 17 months since you did any work or maintenance on it though? 

39 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Has it been 17 months since you did any work or maintenance on it though? 

I bought it in summer as a stop gap for Wifey, I've tinkered with the interior, it's had a service and new hub bearings on the rear so I've kept my eye on the obvious.

Now it's my daily because it's solid and here already!

Anyway, pass with a few advisories so I'm happy with that!

20201211_115526.jpg

On 12/9/2020 at 7:38 PM, brownnova said:

I had a VW Polo that used to do that. It was indeed the mechanism inside the door, apparently water used to get in. It was OK when the passenger door would open, but once that froze up too and no amount of boiling water or de-icer would touch it.... I got into the boot, but it was a Polo Classic and folding the seats was only possible from inside the car! I had to get a lift to work that day, and left one seat folded at all times for the rest of the winter! 

I had the same issue with my 1999 SEAT Ibiza. It's like the drivers  door would weld itself shut. Seems like a quirk of VAG stuff of the era. :unsure: So much for that peerless German engineering trickling down to the Spanish and Czech marques. 

Vespa passed it's MOT yesterday, a hat trick of recent scooter tests. 

Charged the battery up for the Derbi, bastard still wouldn't start but then I discovered why it's been so hit-and-miss: there's a choke on it which I wasn't aware of! An internet search revealed its whereabouts (under left hand side switch gear) so that, a boost pack (I think battery is knackered) and getting the fuel tap into a working position did the trick. Helpfully* it started to leak petrol out (from the tap) straight away, though. New battery will be ordered.

Talking of batteries, the (new) one on the Sierra is struggling to start it, put it on charge but the charger says it's good to go. It's a top quality* Lion branded battery.

In other news, have been offered a Spanish Lambretta (Serveta, possibly?) 125 in a deal for the orange Scomadi. The Lambretta is a 1972, I think British registered from new. Rough as bollocks but it does run.

I've had a Lion in the Princess since forever.  Seems like a pretty robust battery, I've used it in other cars, to jump start other cars, flattened it by accident a couple of times and it's always come back around no bother with a charge or a jump start.  Then again, I've known other folks with Lion batteries that have found them to be the crappest battery of ever, so I guess their quality control is a bit British Leyland.