The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The 'editions' on these are Zetecs with special paint colours, sometimes alloy wheels, a spoiler and a chrome grille. My family spent a while looking for one in about 2006 to replace my aunt's mk2 Fiesta L that had rotted to death. (She's a PA in central London and doesn't have time herself...) she ended up with a tidy standard Zetec on an 03. She didn't use it much except for driving out to riding stables occasionally and for going hiking, it's only on about 40k now. 
She bought a 65 plate Yaris about a year ago and the PX on the Fiesta was derisory - she ended up giving it to a friend of my mum's up here who proceeded to clean it up better than factory. 
His only other transport is a mk1 Granada Ghia and a bicycle, and he was looking for a car anyway. 
We're still doing the maintenance on it... 

On 06/12/2020 at 22:09, reb said:

Indeed a Fiesta, a "Black edition" whatever that means. The seats have been fitted later. It's only a 1.4, it'll do the job of being a winter runabout alright though.

Ooh fancy! I had a Puma 'Black', was a nice interior! Hope you don't have the alloys with the plastic caps all over them... They corrode... 

On 12/5/2020 at 5:10 PM, Yoss said:

IMG_20201205_110542.thumb.jpg.df09218b9f8425a89b8b244640b48f78.jpg

... to allow me to park on double yellow lines, pedestrian crossings or wherever the hell I like really! I am only half joking, if you have trouble parking anywhere just get an old Royal Mail van, you can put it where you want. 

BRB making a copy of that in word and printing it off, cheaper than buying an ex RM van. I mean my 107 is red so semi believable. 

Conversation with wife this morning after using her car this morning. Paraphrased.

Me: you need to clean the inside of your window.

Wife: why do my cars always get dirty windows?

Me: because time and all dirt that. 

Wife: I thought you never had to clean them.

Me: what made you think that?

Wife: I thought they kept themselves clean and you could never touch the inside?

Me:???!!!???? (Recovers) ok you're not meant to clean condensation with a cloth unless you're desperate or put fingerprints on the glass inside, but you do have to clean the inside.

Wife:???!!!???? (I think she's just about recovered)

Doctor-owned cars for you. She thinks getting the annual MOT = keeping it serviced.

Few more bits done on the mini - cleaned up the front brakes:

J.thumb.JPG.ed75a6b2c49ef5cba2e5f4d14f4b034a.JPG

K.thumb.JPG.18be629f562886647d88c652b8f7d5ad.JPG

Then as usual, everything started to spiral out of control 🙄

it seemed to be sitting a bit higher than i remember at the rear, a bit of a bounce on it revealed the drivers side radius arm had seized up - and back when it was being used, I had to weld the outer radius arm bracket on while out and about as 2 of the bolts had sheared. It was all looking a bit crusty under there too, and I discovered a bit that must have been missed and might need a poke...

L.thumb.jpg.9b9a07f3bdf46b02a7351469651af2dd.jpg

I gave the heel board trunnion bolts a bit of a working, and thankfully they all came out!

M.thumb.jpg.ab6dd59ae0dfe5a0bbd2ea82d36889d6.jpg

The rears weren't so cooperative

N.thumb.jpg.64a9b1791cfc93d6c67fa95a9cf784cd.jpg

And on the floor. 

O.thumb.jpg.1aefe92101321c62e2f4838a6aa4c4e5.jpg

On to the crispy bit:

P.thumb.jpg.30938208ebfadcac251afcd75094126d.jpg

Q.thumb.jpg.3e24cb8f377b07a4a85fb91467e86618.jpg

R.thumb.jpg.77f96246218887749f3e90e9e752a351.jpg

S.thumb.jpg.f5d193390cd55175bc6c00f4473e5147.jpg

Oh dear!

T.thumb.jpg.61ab4a40e8d208e435633d6cd6a25ac9.jpg

U.thumb.jpg.2ba729a8bca02bfabc51e6fd62051efc.jpg

That should sort that :) The rest of it looks cock on  thankfully.

Radius arms removed, i'm pleased as I can give them a clean up and rebuild now, theyre a bit rough:

V.thumb.jpg.21b3b6ca4ac6487e40a26ae29c988012.jpg

I've got all new shafts and bearings to rebuild them with, and with the subframe off, at least replacing all the brake lines etc will be more pleasant. Speaking of which I've also taken the long shlanger of British heritage down to the hinge end and ordered a new genuine subframe :) 

Cheers!

On 12/5/2020 at 8:59 PM, stuboy said:

is it beige?

Funnily enough I actually saw a new beige Transporter today. 

Meanwhile for the last two days I've been given this. 

IMG_20201208_110822.thumb.jpg.a448df946792063ce0c2caaca3452616.jpg

Don't need to be quite so paranoid about this one as it already has 35k miles on it and a bit of a dent in the side door.  It also only has four buttons on the steering wheel that I'm never going to use instead of the 18 on the Transporter which is frankly ridiculous. 

I would probably upset a lot of people (not on here but all those dub scene people) if I said this is a better van than the Transporter. The seat is lower which does make it easier to get in and out of and once in the view ahead is better so the dashboard on the VW is too high for a van. The VW may be better as a long distance delivery vehicle but I only do seven miles in about six hours (usually four hours when it's not a Lockdown Christmas Armageddon Crossover) so I can't judge that. This is better as a start stop delivery van. 

Mind you they're both better than our normal Pug Partner. At least I have more room to spread my packets out. I like to sort them in to little piles for the different areas I do but at the moment I just have too many. One day last week I had to leave some packets behind as they physically wouldn't fit in the Pug. 

One thing with this Vivaro, it has this big green light... 

IMG_20201207_130107.thumb.jpg.76441c2b327cf42e948278e76f224d61.jpg

... under the digital speedo which I have no idea what it is supposed to signify. It comes and goes but has no symbol in or around it. It's green so I assume that's a good thing and therefore ignore it. 

Oh really? It is only ever green or off, I've not seen it any other colour. Even whilst sat idling for 15 minutes on my break trying to get some heat in the cabin, which doesn't seem to work very well either but that's not surprising when you're only doing 7 miles in 6 hours, a diesel really needs to be worked to get any heat out of it. 

If they give it to me tomorrow I shall try and make it change colour. What do you think I have to do to make it turn red?😊

On 12/7/2020 at 10:47 PM, stuboy said:

Amazon do it again.. 8 valve caps in a mahoosive packet

20201207_211356.jpg

It does seem rather daft, but I'd say there's less chance of that large packet getting lost in transit, rather than a fag packet sized parcel. Especially at this time of year. So, possibly makes sense.

14 hours ago, Yoss said:

Funnily enough I actually saw a new beige Transporter today. 

Meanwhile for the last two days I've been given this. 

IMG_20201208_110822.thumb.jpg.a448df946792063ce0c2caaca3452616.jpg

Don't need to be quite so paranoid about this one as it already has 35k miles on it and a bit of a dent in the side door.  It also only has four buttons on the steering wheel that I'm never going to use instead of the 18 on the Transporter which is frankly ridiculous. 

I would probably upset a lot of people (not on here but all those dub scene people) if I said this is a better van than the Transporter. The seat is lower which does make it easier to get in and out of and once in the view ahead is better so the dashboard on the VW is too high for a van. The VW may be better as a long distance delivery vehicle but I only do seven miles in about six hours (usually four hours when it's not a Lockdown Christmas Armageddon Crossover) so I can't judge that. This is better as a start stop delivery van. 

Mind you they're both better than our normal Pug Partner. At least I have more room to spread my packets out. I like to sort them in to little piles for the different areas I do but at the moment I just have too many. One day last week I had to leave some packets behind as they physically wouldn't fit in the Pug. 

One thing with this Vivaro, it has this big green light... 

IMG_20201207_130107.thumb.jpg.76441c2b327cf42e948278e76f224d61.jpg

... under the digital speedo which I have no idea what it is supposed to signify. It comes and goes but has no symbol in or around it. It's green so I assume that's a good thing and therefore ignore it. 

I look after a fleet of 6 vans at work-we have 2 of these on fleet just now, both around 5 years old and sitting on over 100k. They've had a few issues but nothing major and are great to drive. We're replacing them with Transporters though (not my choice but the numbers do add up) so I'll report back. Initial thoughts are that the Trafics are a better drive though. 

It's so far taken VW almost a year to deliver 2 of the new vans. Well, they tried to deliver them in March but somehow had managed to build us completely the wrong spec of vans. It's not gone well so far!