The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Spending actual money on a car today.

129936116_2478257562470185_4319187189910655324_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=9j519UATfxsAX8-44Ij&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=9fb8c79510e76c22b9431a88a4270a15&oe=5FF0F37D

Here in the work shop is a rusty, wheezy, shitty, badly made monkey's wank pot of a car, with a Sierra behind it. Look upon the Corsas as fluffers to the main act.

129738083_2478257615803513_166476808047519393_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=XifUgrOAnEsAX9M4_Ud&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=f46e6f7e9973283fa253fa650964a13c&oe=5FEFA726

F1 Autocentre - I approve. Our local branch is ace. Scott, the MoT tester, loves my old chod, as it makes a change from the usual white goods he tests day in day out....(a view shared by many testers, I should imagine)

1 hour ago, clayts450 said:

F1 Autocentre - I approve. Our local branch is ace. Scott, the MoT tester, loves my old chod, as it makes a change from the usual white goods he tests day in day out....(a view shared by many testers, I should imagine)

The lads there are brilliant and the prices (at least for tyres) appear un-matched, they're very cheap. 

As a company? I'll not say in public.

1 hour ago, louiepj said:

Me too today.....
As I tried to replace the n.s.f. abs sensor with built in brake pad sensor that was giving spurious brake pad and abs warnings on the Shalambraxy.
And broke it during 'insertion'.
5b361c2024499713d3933abcc0bef5a5.jpg

The a3 my wife has is common for the reuctor ring ends up with missing teeth so I'm going to buy a new wheel bearing for 19 quid and go from there. Hopefully you get sorted too! 

29 minutes ago, New POD said:

News to me.  According to my wife, putting clothes on the radiator is a fire hazard.  Who knew.?? 

Why are you using an open fire, a wood burner, or a tangle of live electrical wires and other random electronic components as a radiator?

In fact, if radiators actually radiated much heat at all she might be correct, go and ask your toaster or grill, or that old fashioned electric bar element heater thing people had in the 70s. It's a good job our 'radiators' actually convect heat.

10 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Um, heat..wet fabric...spontaneous combustion. Low risk in that situation but it is an real thing. Biggest cause of laundry fires.

My argument was that the pipes come through the carpet, and nobody worries that the carpet might set alight. And she tucks the curtains into the ones in our bedroom every night. And has done for 22 years. 

It's worse. In attempting to challenge her misconception, I'm disrespecting her.  

The other day, I agreed with some thing she said that I knew was wrong, and then she found out she had been mistaken, and I told her, that I thought that, all the time, and apparently I'm descrepecting her.  So I promised in future I wouldn't just agree for an easy life, and I'd put her right. 

Reminding her of this fact is desripecting her.  

I've just spent 2 nights away from her, because under the terms of the insurance on our other house it can not be left empty more than 60 days.  Whilst I was there I washed some clothes and left them on a radiator to dry.   She proper went off on one. I know she's very stressed, but FFS.  

52 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Why are you using an open fire, a wood burner, or a tangle of live electrical wires and other random electronic components as a radiator?

In fact, if radiators actually radiated much heat at all she might be correct, go and ask your toaster or grill, or that old fashioned electric bar element heater thing people had in the 70s. It's a good job our 'radiators' actually convect heat.

I believe that the water in them is about 60 degrees Celsius.  Strange how you can pour boiling water on a dish cloth and they don't explode. 

10 hours ago, New POD said:

My argument was that the pipes come through the carpet, and nobody worries that the carpet might set alight. And she tucks the curtains into the ones in our bedroom every night. And has done for 22 years. 

It's worse. In attempting to challenge her misconception, I'm disrespecting her.  

The other day, I agreed with some thing she said that I knew was wrong, and then she found out she had been mistaken, and I told her, that I thought that, all the time, and apparently I'm descrepecting her.  So I promised in future I wouldn't just agree for an easy life, and I'd put her right. 

I've just spent 2 nights away from her, because under the terms of the insurance on our other house it can not be left empty more than 60 days.  Whilst I was there I washed some clothes and left them on a radiator to dry.   She proper went off on one. I know she's very stressed, but FFS.  

This isn't about the question of laundry safety is it?

I wish your home and marriage situation the very best, and you and your wife's health after a very stressful year I wish well also.

I hope you work it out.

I had to go to court yesterday, which was a bit nerve racking. I'd never been in a courthouse before so didn't really know what to expect.

Back story is, 18 months ago some idiot in a Sprinter used the hard shoulder to overtake me and the lorry in front, rather than using lane two which wasn't moving as fast as he'd like. I sent the dashcam footage to the police, and they decided to prosecute.

He originally pleaded guilty, but then at the sentencing hearing changed to not guilty, meaning I'd have to testify and be cross-examined by his solicitor.

Thanks to covid, the case got put back but was eventually scheduled for yesterday, in a town I'm not familiar with. Again thanks to covid, I couldn't do a pre-trial visit to get an idea of what was going to happen.

Several things happened which made my life easier though; they moved the case to a court local to me which I knew how to get to, and when I arrived I was told the defendant was ill so wouldn't be attending. So I wouldn't have to face him or his family etc, I was having visions of being sat in a waiting room with them all!

I did have a very long and boring wait, on my own as the previous case overran by several hours, and I was only in the courtroom 5 or 10 minutes in the end. Another bonus for me was they muted the sound on the video, as I didn't really want the magistrates hearing what I called the guy at the time!

The magistrates seemed quite shocked by his driving, and thanked me for reporting it and giving evidence.

I see lots of stupid driving but this is the only time I've felt compelled to do something about it, I don't want my mrs and kids sharing the roads with anyone who has that little regard for others. 

This has caused me a bit of stress but it worked out in the end, slept better last night than recently, that's for sure

Corsa D has been looked at at my mate's place of work. It smells of diesel (fuel, not exhaust) and he's noticed the pump is leaking. Seems someone has tried in the past to silicone it, FFS! A replacement is about £50 second hand and an easy job he says. There's also a leak off pipe leaking, have a length of that somewhere though.

29 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I had to go to court yesterday, which was a bit nerve racking. I'd never been in a courthouse before so didn't really know what to expect.

Back story is, 18 months ago some idiot in a Sprinter used the hard shoulder to overtake me and the lorry in front, rather than using lane two which wasn't moving as fast as he'd like. I sent the dashcam footage to the police, and they decided to prosecute.

He originally pleaded guilty, but then at the sentencing hearing changed to not guilty, meaning I'd have to testify and be cross-examined by his solicitor.

Thanks to covid, the case got put back but was eventually scheduled for yesterday, in a town I'm not familiar with. Again thanks to covid, I couldn't do a pre-trial visit to get an idea of what was going to happen.

Several things happened which made my life easier though; they moved the case to a court local to me which I knew how to get to, and when I arrived I was told the defendant was ill so wouldn't be attending. So I wouldn't have to face him or his family etc, I was having visions of being sat in a waiting room with them all!

I did have a very long and boring wait, on my own as the previous case overran by several hours, and I was only in the courtroom 5 or 10 minutes in the end. Another bonus for me was they muted the sound on the video, as I didn't really want the magistrates hearing what I called the guy at the time!

The magistrates seemed quite shocked by his driving, and thanked me for reporting it and giving evidence.

I see lots of stupid driving but this is the only time I've felt compelled to do something about it, I don't want my mrs and kids sharing the roads with anyone who has that little regard for others. 

This has caused me a bit of stress but it worked out in the end, slept better last night than recently, that's for sure

We have a button in the works vans which automatically sends 5 mins of the front, rear and cab cameras before and after you press it to a seperate group of people at the company which monitors these things. Been there since March and I've had to provide written testimony twice so far for dangerous drivers. Never called in for further stuff so I presume that they didn't prosecute or the twats pleaded guilty. 

My argument was that the pipes come through the carpet, and nobody worries that the carpet might set alight.

Even if you knew the answer, many people don't like know-it-alls. Either way is she correct but not on the specifics. Going all out and telling her anyone that they're wrong from the get go will instantly get people's backs up. You'd been better off stopping before reacting, thinking yourself and putting the full case across. Because yes she is right, putting clothes on radiators is dangerous. However it's the electrically powered convection and oil filled radiators that are dangerous to do so.

Alternatively, instead of putting a case across, you'd be better of using a third party (i.e. Dr Google) to find out the answer you possibly already knew but then mentioning the detailed specifics. Especially having a third party come back means it's not Mr Know-it-alls that is giving the answer.

"*Googles* You're right! But it says that its the electric powered fan heaters and oil filled radiators that it's dangerous with clothes on them. As we've got central heating, I think it's safe? Oh you can get a electrically heated clothes horse from Lakeland... Would getting one of them be useful to help dry the clothes quicker?" (Note "I think" rather than "It is" too, that indication of possible doubt takes the strength out)

And she tucks the curtains into the ones in our bedroom every night. And has done for 22 years. 

Well yes, you're just made out that someone is stupid by staying that something she does every day for years counteracts her already established view with clothes/cloth on radiators. People don't like being called stupid or given examples of it.

I'm really not sure why you feigned that you agreed but then tell her later on you did that? Surely you knew that would irritate anyone, not least your wife who appears more sensitive to such things.

Again, why did you tell her that you did that?! At this point if she was already agitated and you knew she disliked having clothes on radiators. So why did you throw more fuel on the proverbial fire by telling her that you did it? Surely you knew at this point not only that her mental model of radiators was that putting clothes on them is bad/dangerous, but also that saying you did it regularly was not going to help the situation.

TL;DR Stop treating your wife like an engineer. She is evidently not one and doesn't operate like one. The majority of people in this world have their view on the world based on emotions, not facts. Giving facts won't change most people's views.

11 minutes ago, HMC said:

I used the crown vic for running about last week and got a pic of it in our car park with a neighbours palm tree in the background. Sort of aiming for a downtown LA look.

Almost there except for the drizzle

F389409E-D33F-47DF-8676-B66A2DCDE7CF.thumb.jpeg.fbacdcebb5d664cb8bc96d3d5117355a.jpeg

You and @Steve79 should have a yank land yacht photo together!

We all should have one...

5 minutes ago, Steve79 said:

I'd be up for that. If @w00dy gets his Ford Probe up and running we coukd have a meet up with huggy and get @danthecapriman involved

See how many cubic inches we can collectively fit in one car park!

Congrats on your latest purchase btw, I’m seriously jealous of it. When it went up for sale I went out and measured every spare bit of space on the drive to see if I could make it fit!