The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

12 hours ago, brownnova said:

Aaaand back to cars. 

This is why I drive old cars... to be lay on my back on the drive in the dark in November chasing a suspension creak... 

B4BAE70C-AABD-4698-9AB5-7B3362A68116.jpeg

Honestly I wouldn’t have it any other way though.

Creak appears to have been coming from the bottom suspension arm, I think a bush has worn and it needed lubricating. So it’s greased up and we’ll see how long it stays quiet, which will judge how urgent the problem is. Didn’t appear to be any play in it, so that’s good. Hopefully just a good lubing needed! 

Plus my 2CV exhaust arrived today, that’ll be tomorrow nights job, that’ll be luxury though. I can do that in the garage! 

Well that was a waste of time as it turned out, passed the bounce test at the time and this morning, and drove silently for the first few miles of my commute, but the loud creaky squeaky noise returned for the final couple of miles. 🙄

7 hours ago, RobT said:

Fleet update time.  The Rover 820 finally has brakes again, after a month on and off replacing calipers, and cocking up various aspects of the job.  The final hurdle was replacing a brake hose.  I got a bit carried away with the heat torch on the banjo bolt, causing the hose to melt, smoke and fizzle.  Fire extinguisher was there just in case.

But the pipe union wouldn't loosen and I ended up rounding it off, so I cut the pipe and had to flare the short section remaining.  The point of no return...

IMG-20201121-WA0004.thumb.jpg.5cb0d93323bf1868d01902b0b5eec961.jpg

Surprisingly I've never had to flare a pipe before, but after a test run the in situ SAE flare tool in the pic is easy to use.  I just hope it passes the MoT next month after all this effort.  Wheels move freely enough, and no one wheel is hotter than the other after a run, so hopefully I won't get a 'brakes imbalanced across an axle' fail.

In the meantime, the Xantia developed an LHM leak so the Morris became my main car for the past two weeks.  Wasn't sure how that would pan out but it's been marvellous, being used almost every day for various medical appointments and errands.  My other half has a long term illness and is unable to work (Long Covid, began end of March and it's a total bastard) and having at least one vehicle that isn't fucked has proved essential. 

Good old Morris.  Still jobs to do, but it moves and stops (eventually).  Cadence braking is the norm until I work out what the issue is.

20201116_204255.thumb.jpg.eeaca635343c2292eb9c8d4920d2e99b.jpg

I'll keep using it for local trips throughout the winter.  This year has taught me life's too short and to just get on with stuff, albeit I still agonise about the cars...Xantia is the next on the list.  Compression joints and length of hydraulic pipe are on order.  WCPGW.

Gosh the Italian styling of these is crisp - what a nice looking thing. Growing up with them as everyday cars I don't remember that many two doors - but then I wasn't really looking at the time. 

Elsewhere reporting on the site classics stolen.  Have you got security for it? - I use Stoplock steeing bars and chains through the wheel spokes as a deterrent.

6 hours ago, DVee8 said:

Looks like Mr. B will have to turn the smirk off.

It certainly won't be the first time that a 'source' has made claims that an organisation is moving/selling up/in trouble. 

I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself a short time ago that The Media are indeed a total shower of lying bastards and will literally cook up any old tale in the name of a story. 

I was surprised at how shocked I was.

7 hours ago, DVee8 said:

Sadly the denial means nothing. The German article also means nothing too.

I think there is a lot to be decided yet, a lot will depend on the deal etc.

Let's all give it 12 months from now and we'll see how it works out.

It's obviously an expensive and big decision either way I'm sure they will have looked at options for various scenarios.

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Gosh the Italian styling of these is crisp - what a nice looking thing. Growing up with them as everyday cars I don't remember that many two doors - but then I wasn't really looking at the time. 

Elsewhere reporting on the site classics stolen.  Have you got security for it? - I use Stoplock steeing bars and chains through the wheel spokes as a deterrent.

It's garaged overnight, and I've got a stoplock gear lever thing which I must remember to use.  I don't tend to leave it parked up for long, but you never know.

10 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Well stuboy junior corsa looks like it be going to scrap one he decides what to do with it

20201124_140007.jpg

Has he passed his test in last two years?

Two defective tyres could of got him banned. Consider himself lucky the MOT man saw it and not PC Plod. 

A lot of that is basic checking of a vehicle. Really poor effort tbh.

10 minutes ago, RobT said:

It's garaged overnight, and I've got a stoplock gear lever thing which I must remember to use.  I don't tend to leave it parked up for long, but you never know.

I'd give it a bit of a security review. My Stoplocks mostly come via boot sales and charity shops. A short length of chain to a gauge to fit through a wheel 'spoke' is also good if you can thread through.  And there is also the rotor arm thing - but I think thieves lift stuff myself where they are pro.  

49 minutes ago, RobT said:

I'd recommend a Disklok. Expensive but very robust.

I sold mine as all my cars are modern enough to have immobilizers.

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

Well stuboy junior corsa looks like it be going to scrap one he decides what to do with it

20201124_140007.jpg

As long as the emmisions are fixable that's not too bad. Echo the above comments re tyres, that could've put a downer on his fledgling driving career!

7 hours ago, brownnova said:

Well that was a waste of time as it turned out, passed the bounce test at the time and this morning, and drove silently for the first few miles of my commute, but the loud creaky squeaky noise returned for the final couple of miles. 🙄

In the past on a couple of my 9000s,to get rid of the squeaky noise that you describe i have replaced the front wishbone bearing supports,these are often overlooked---Number 13 in the picture,i probably have a set of 4 if you need them.

fwb (2).jpg

3 hours ago, Agila said:

It's obviously an expensive and big decision either way I'm sure they will have looked at options for various scenarios.

I would agree that the media gets a lot wrong/lies a lot, but it was announced only 2 weeks ago that the new Qashqai would be built in Sunderland. On the BBC, who are hardly pro Brexit. 

Brexit must be a factor in decisions, but a lot of cars sold in the EU are built outside it.

3 hours ago, Agila said:

There has been a awfull lot of investment at Nissan and the supply chain. Nissan have just this year installed a new 2000T press. Unipres have installed a 800T hot press, French companies Snop and Gestamp have built new factories around Nissan.

My job at the moment is press production trial leader for the next generation qashqai, due next year.

But all this investment won't stop them pulling out, look at Honda.

Just been and dropped off some parts for my Dad's 06 Ford Connect Van.  Which is currently sat at a garage receiving  'minor' surgery.  

One side done, just the other to go before some painting. 

IMG_20201124_162903.thumb.jpg.9409bbd9165f4f1871f03482421492d5.jpg

IMG_20201124_162915.thumb.jpg.25e09b60ae08073f2cc4128cf0e9e615.jpg

They already fitted a new clutch last week and once the bodywork done, there a new rear bumper to replace the bent and rusty original.  

Some people may think it's madness, but try finding a decent cheap Van these days! 

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

I'd give it a bit of a security review. My Stoplocks mostly come via boot sales and charity shops. A short length of chain to a gauge to fit through a wheel 'spoke' is also good if you can thread through.  And there is also the rotor arm thing - but I think thieves lift stuff myself where they are pro.  

I suppose a length of chain befits the giffer nature of the car!  Generally it's OK around here, although a few garages were broken into earlier in the year.  I had mine done 9 years ago, literally a few weeks after we'd moved in.  They lifted the bikes and other stuff but left the car untouched.  Sometimes driving unwanted old crud helps.

43 minutes ago, RobT said:

I suppose a length of chain befits the giffer nature of the car!  Generally it's OK around here, although a few garages were broken into earlier in the year.  I had mine done 9 years ago, literally a few weeks after we'd moved in.  They lifted the bikes and other stuff but left the car untouched.  Sometimes driving unwanted old crud helps.

The trouble with unwanted old crud is...it becomes wanted old crud. The A series engine is ripe for a Mini Cooper recreation etc.  Yes the chain on mine takes about 30 seconds with a mains driven angle grinder to cut through when we cut it down. Not total security but a deterrent to the average punter.

I dug the interior for the mini out earlier, its survived being lobbed in the back of an old merc in a field for a decade ok, but a wheel was sat on the door card and a few others have had bits sat on them, anyone know if theres any way of reviving it? 20201124_183737.thumb.jpg.8c3e6ea62ef9394ffd4619dc9a40c3b7.jpg

20201124_185131.thumb.jpg.b126f5a0a52fef9300fa042c90b3d123.jpg

20201124_185141.thumb.jpg.4960cc0f73ce22ba72edeaa5bb7f614a.jpg

Only a couple of bits of mouse action!

20201124_185147.thumb.jpg.bfe0c94e10d2b9df9a09d8791e21fb3d.jpg

20201124_185214.thumb.jpg.11b140617a37285345cdb85e974b21a5.jpg

20201124_185239.thumb.jpg.be7639bd29fbbc0895f4a32af3703464.jpg

20201124_185259.thumb.jpg.b2d9aa6eff0ceb6ef5cc38a9e5dbc277.jpg

20201124_185343.thumb.jpg.db2b6b0b5ac46ba6fa4dfcab822e8ff8.jpg20201124_185400.thumb.jpg.a0b036e49adbdce8af78856fa4258b95.jpg

That last one seems the worst? Any hints or tips for repair? @vulgalour?

Cheers!

2 hours ago, stuboy said:

stuboyjunior now wants to get a scooter of the cc variety, as says too stressfull driving,  so corsa be up for sale spares or repair,  hes never ridden a scooter before and hes 19,  bloody teenagers wasting there time on games consoles etc..

How much of a commute has he got or does he stay in the bedroom with his ps5