The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

51 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Having a working heater again has made the Jag so much more pleasant.

However the not quite wet, not quite dry but very much greasy state of the roads today definitely confirmed something to me.  That the correct way to handle a V12, rear wheel drive car with a limited slip diff and an occasionally dim witted gearbox, is veeeeeery carefully.  Especially when it decides to break traction when it changes from first to second gear.

Have you got decent tyres on it?

4 minutes ago, stripped fred said:

Have you got decent tyres on it?

The front ones are solidly average, rears seem okay on the dry but in the wet appear to have approximately the frictional coefficient of industrial grade teflon.

They're getting changed in the new year for a full decent set assuming the car goes through the MOT without major drama. 

To be fair it won't be seeing much use over the winter anyway, I just didn't have the patience to wait half an hour for the Xantia to demist today or play musical cars to get the Invacar out.

14 hours ago, New POD said:

That's a perfect distance for a proper push bike. One with years but no battery. If my work was that close I'd defo cycle.  (Work is currently 135 miles away) 

he rides currently....

12 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Far enough to get soaked through or freezing, soon be back in the Corsa

i tried to make him see sense from my own personnel experience of riding in wind rain frost... i deffently turned into a warm weather rider

3 hours ago, New POD said:

That's a perfect distance for a proper push bike. One with years but no battery. If my work was that close I'd defo cycle.  (Work is currently 135 miles away) 

Yep, I do 8 miles each way on my bicycle. Usually less stressful than sitting in traffic in the car.

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Far enough to get soaked through or freezing, soon be back in the Corsa

That actually doesn’t happen as much as you may think. At least down here in Surrey, it’s the wind I don’t like.

To quote various sources - there’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

4 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

That actually doesn’t happen as much as you may think. At least down here in Surrey, it’s the wind I don’t like.

To quote various sources - there’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

Don't forget my personal favourite. The close punishment pass. Never gets old.....oh yeah it does that's why I quit after 15 months cycle commute.

Just now, Agila said:

Don't forget my personal favourite. The close punishment pass. Never gets old.....oh yeah it does that's why I quit after 15 months cycle commute.

Yea, lots of people have no clue about spatial awareness and driving a ton or so of vehicle. And some do so deliberately. 

12 hours ago, stuboy said:

stuboyjunior now wants to get a scooter of the cc variety, as says too stressfull driving,  so corsa be up for sale spares or repair,  hes never ridden a scooter before and hes 19,  bloody teenagers wasting there time on games consoles etc..

Has he got a bike licence? If he has then this isn't far from you:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Helix-250-CN-Spazio-Fusion/274584617734

The Algorithm (tm) delivered something unexpected tonight.  If you'd like to see someone take a Reliant Robin nearly 4000 miles from coast to coast in America in 2003, then you'll probably appreciate these two videos.  Ever so slightly surreal.  The back up vehicle is one of those weird spaceship looking Winnebago-Renault things.

2 hours ago, RobT said:

Good old fleet logistics!  Winter daily the Invacar?  Just put a big coat on for the cold days...

If I could get decent airflow through the heater it would be less of an issue to be honest.  Now she's driving nicely use is the best thing for her.

Just really wish getting in/out of the garage wasn't such a bloody production as there are two cars parked in front of it - which on some days there's nowhere less than a five minute walk away I can move them to, even temporarily.

I can forsee a day where we just pave over the whole front lawn to be honest...not as though a 12'(ish) square of threadbare grass is otherwise doing much useful.

On 11/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, RayMK said:

Wasn't sure whether this should go here, or in the Grumpy thread or in the Moderns section (but couldn't find a suitable thread there).

Next Monday my Mitsubishi Mirage Juro is having a scheduled service.  The dealer wanted £630 plus whatever they considered needed* replacing e.g. front discs and pads are a favourite at an additional £400 or so for genuine Mitsi bits.   The service schedule is out of phase because the dealer gave it a premature 1st service when I bought it. Now, with only 33.5K miles on the clock, it's kicked the schedule to a first major service - at least 20K early.  Although the car is still under its 5 years warranty I'm having a normal service done elsewhere at trade rates - my son works at a main dealer but it's not Mitsi.  Yes, there's a risk of warranty hassle if the car misbehaves but it's Japanese so WCPGW?

On the following Monday, my '94 Tipo is going in to a different garage for approximately £600 of welding and an MOT, having had a pre-MOT check a few weeks ago.  This does not bother me.

Are Covid restrictions messing with my sanity 😃?

An update: My Mirage was duly serviced at trade rates for not very much. The CVT service (part of a major service) will be done next time, maybe even at a Mitsubishi dealer. 

The Tipo went in for welding and inevitably the job grew somewhat.  Fiat's logic in galvanising the body but not the floor pan will have to be explained to me one day. Eventually the known areas of corrosion were chased back (and back, and back) in order to find good metal to weld something to.  This took several days longer than the original 5 day estimate and was thus more expensive. Nevertheless, I half expected this to happen and I'm pleased to now have a structurally sound Tipo with an MOT.  

18 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Wow! Usually whatever goes on the back of his truck either won't see another mot next year or hasn't for the last few... Nice! 

I’ll ask him what it needed when he’s over tomorrow to do the 2cv mot and service for me.   Alternator was shot we think and a rear coil spring was mentioned at the main dealer. The mileage is against the scenic, but it is exceptionally quiet and generally smart with no rust. 

Insurance is up on the Ignis on 20th next month. Current insurers wanted an increase from £220 to nearly £300. So I've told them bumhats and went to the silly welshman with the even sillier moustache. £187 was best value quote (includes MLP, breakdown, protected NCD and courtesy car etc). Normally I'd bung this in the grin thread because I've not had a sub-£200 ever in 25 years of driving, but it comes with a compulsory excess.