The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, eifion said:

Hold on to your Vauxhall Corsas, they're classics* now. I like the way this article describes them as having had "a rapid decline in popularity" rather than having just got rare through getting old and rusty like most types of car do.

https://www.theguardian.com/clture/2020/nov/20/vauxhall-corsa-museum-rare-cars-collection-lakedland-motor-musuem

What an utterly cretinous article, especially the quote from Practical Classics.

Corsa Bs will only be rare because they rot badly in places you can't see until it's too far gone. Unless you are equally idiotic like me and keep having it welded up.

Ordered the suspension control bushes and nylok nuts needed for the fiat. It has four bushes and two nuts in total, £17 delivered next day from Eurosport. No rush to do it, but some parts have a habit of going out of stock just when you want them. 

I got the 2cv running this morning to go to work.  Three or four weeks since the last run but battery still good. The mot is scheduled for Friday and I’ve checked the basic things like tyre pressures and lights ready for my mechanic friend rick to take it away and bring it home serviced and motd. A few more miles than the x1/9 this year, but still only 700 in 18months! 

I started on the service items on the little fiesta I collected a week ago, since I have been unsuccessful so far in finding anyone who is willing to admit servicing it, save for the 2 stamps in the book (one in 2009 and one in 2013), I have decided that it'll want a full service.

The air filter didn't look too bad, and was not a ford item so it has at least had some attention more recently, indeed the air box would have been off when the injector seals failed in 2018.

IMG_20201121_165800.thumb.jpg.4d1a2b5cd2482c21b41b7a7cee91cc1d.jpg

Dave mentioned a hesitation issue in his advert, and the first port of call with the 1.4 and 1.6 Tdci/Hdi engine is always the fuel filter. This one has a date code of 2014, so even if we're being good and allowing it to have sat on the motor factor's shelf for 6 months into 2015, it is still way overdue. They need to be done every 3 years/30k without fail. so I'm hoping this will address the issue mentioned.

IMG_20201121_165809.thumb.jpg.8d4abcf055698fb9181f7f27ea32a5ed.jpg

Lastly I dug out the pollen filter (behind the passenger kick trim) and that was a Ford item, so it is at least 7 years old and was considerably heavier than the item it was replaced by.

IMG_20201121_165821.thumb.jpg.b5adba8e48813c9604fd38619f34025c.jpg

Lastly for today, I pulled the boot trim off as I could not get it to open other than by the key in the lock. The boot actuator attempts to open the boot, but is shagged, as this type of unit is prone to on the Fiesta mk6.

Major metal recycling yard near me is on fire, footage shows a guy in a grab pulling burning cars out of the inferno and dangling them for the fire service to douse, he must have balls of steel as it looks like a scene from terminator 

Not sure if this will play :

https://www.facebook.com/dominic.dean.1232/videos/1767804056713242/

1 hour ago, omegod said:

Major metal recycling yard near me is on fire, footage shows a guy in a grab pulling burning cars out of the inferno and dangling them for the fire service to douse, he must have balls of steel as it looks like a scene from terminator 

Not sure if this will play :

https://www.facebook.com/dominic.dean.1232/videos/1767804056713242/

That's just a guy saving his favourite chod.😄

It certainly wouldn't be me doing that, fumes/explosion/fire etc. I think I'd be at home now watching telly.

This afternoon I discovered, much to my surprise, that my Delphi software will talk to the ABS system on the Freelander.  It won't talk to owt else mind - if it was a 1.8 Kettle it'd read engine fault codes but the L-series is too old fashioned for that.

So I cleared the ABS fault codes and so far the 3 Amigos lights are staying out.  It did say it was an intermittent fault though so they may well come back, but at least I know I can switch them off if I need to.

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

This afternoon I discovered, much to my surprise, that my Delphi software will talk to the ABS system on the Freelander.  It won't talk to owt else mind - if it was a 1.8 Kettle it'd read engine fault codes but the L-series is too old fashioned for that.

So I cleared the ABS fault codes and so far the 3 Amigos lights are staying out.  It did say it was an intermittent fault though so they may well come back, but at least I know I can switch them off if I need to.

Is it a DS150 or clone? I've thought about getting one. 

Took the Honda for an mot this morning and failed on an upper wishbone ball joint and a sticky handbrake mechanism. Those bloody Honda handbrakes are useless and need fettling constantly.  On a positive a whole new wishbone is only £20 so that's a win and there was this in the garage to have a little poke around......

IMG_20201122_085749.thumb.jpg.476c57a3a8e321784f204552b9694b0f.jpg

IMG_20201122_093254.thumb.jpg.689d8d37626fa89d3056a0c5a02e7ba4.jpg

I haven't seen a kallista since I was a kid. This one has been in storage for 10+ years and is in the garage for recommissioning.

Still not sure whether I like them or not but I reckon it'd be a bit of fun with the v6 Cologne.

8 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Is it a DS150 or clone? I've thought about getting one. 

DS150, yep - I think it's genuine Delphi software as I keep getting messages from Delphi telling me it's out of date - unfortunately it didn't come from a genuine source so I don't have a code to update it.  It goes up to 2013 though which is plenty for me and is likely to remain so for the next few years.  The adaptor is a clone but seems well made and works fine, and the software itself is bloody brilliant.

12 minutes ago, barmatt said:

Took the Honda for an mot this morning and failed on an upper wishbone ball joint and a sticky handbrake mechanism. Those bloody Honda handbrakes are useless and need fettling constantly.  On a positive a whole new wishbone is only £20 so that's a win and there was this in the garage to have a little poke around......

IMG_20201122_085749.thumb.jpg.476c57a3a8e321784f204552b9694b0f.jpg

IMG_20201122_093254.thumb.jpg.689d8d37626fa89d3056a0c5a02e7ba4.jpg

I haven't seen a kallista since I was a kid. This one has been in storage for 10+ years and is in the garage for recommissioning.

Still not sure whether I like them or not but I reckon it'd be a bit of fun with the v6 Cologne.

I used to occasionally pass a Kallista (or possibly a Lima) on my way in to work in the mornings.  Haven't seen it for a couple of years though.

Charged both spares batteries for the Scomadi today, both are knackered. Gave the 125 a very good bath and let it run at the same time, then whizzed down the lane on it. Then whizzed the head light cover, fancy* brake levers and nicer mirrors off, and swapped them with the 200 ones. A small, but satisfying couple of upgrades. 

Investigated diesel leak on the Corsa, looks like the seal at the back of the fuel pump.  I think they (seals) only about £11, but there's another part to replace at same time, according to the internet.

Finally got the battery back on the Merc, fired straight up but threw up two more faults on the screen. Something about the brakes and the air suspension, thought both are fine, and the ABS light. Guessing it's because the battery was removed and car not used for a bit prior to that. To save the grief of all the caper involved  getting a jump point to it again in the future, I carefully* made an invisible* solution by attaching a jump lead to the +, sticking the other end out of the boot, then wrapping it in duct tape. WCPGW?

To round the day off, my mate turned up in his fiddled about with. Properly thrown back into the seat  AMG C63 and took me for a spin. Oh. My Fucking. Days. That thing is stupidly quick and he wasn't even trying, properly thrown back into the seat on a few occasions.