The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Angrydicky said:

Looks a lovely job, and quick too! Be sure to recommend them, as there’s so many cowboys about.

We found them by word-of-mouth, but they can be found here: https://www.checkatrade.com/trades/OriginalRoofingAndConstructionLtd/ and other review sites.  No sucking of teeth or other such nonsense, just crack on and get it done, an absolutely ideal experience to be quite honest.  No mess left behind either, if it weren't for the new roof you wouldn't know they'd even been.

32 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

We found them by word-of-mouth, but they can be found here: https://www.checkatrade.com/trades/OriginalRoofingAndConstructionLtd/ and other review sites.  No sucking of teeth or other such nonsense, just crack on and get it done, an absolutely ideal experience to be quite honest.  No mess left behind either, if it weren't for the new roof you wouldn't know they'd even been.

Did they like your Lanchester?

With all this electric vehicle thing coming in I'm taking the depot manager out in an electric bin wagon tomorrow afternoon. Gave it a once over it's a 6 year old Dennis that's been converted, so it's going to crash and rattle. I hope to get some video/pics.

2 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

With all this electric vehicle thing coming in I'm taking the depot manager out in an electric bin wagon tomorrow afternoon. Gave it a once over it's a 6 year old Dennis that's been converted, so it's going to crash and rattle. I hope to get some video/pics.

Definitely be interested to hear how that goes.  I saw a post from a Scottish council the other day saying they'd just bought some brand new ones.

I decided to have a rant about the 2030 petrol/diesel ban and the stupid reactions people are having to it: 

1 minute ago, Kiltox said:

Definitely be interested to hear how that goes.  I saw a post from a Scottish council the other day saying they'd just bought some brand new ones.

I decided to have a rant about the 2030 petrol/diesel ban and the stupid reactions people are having to it: 

tbh I think the 2030 ban is too early, the battery technology isn't there yet and I (among others) do not consider Lithium as environmentally friendly as the world reckon.

The crew that had it today ran out of juice and they were in the town, 2 miles from our depot. 12 miles covered but 1400 lifter cycles. Doesn't bode well....

Just now, dozeydustman said:

.... I (among others) do not consider Lithium as environmentally friendly as the world reckon....

The environMENTALists help to push Lithium batteries because their manufacture is "out of sight, out of mind". Western society only sees the finished product, not how it is made, so we can't see the damage done elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The environMENTALists help to push Lithium batteries because their manufacture is "out of sight, out of mind". Western society only sees the finished product, not how it is made, so we can't see the damage done elsewhere.

A fascist coup was allowed in Bolivia to extract the lithium resources.

We in the west are 100% guilty of enjoying consumer products without thinking about the consequences that face workers and the environment, only somewhere far enough away that we don't care. 

It's not like oil extraction, processing and burning it is the moral alternative either. 

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

tbh I think the 2030 ban is too early, the battery technology isn't there yet and I (among others) do not consider Lithium as environmentally friendly as the world reckon.

The crew that had it today ran out of juice and they were in the town, 2 miles from our depot. 12 miles covered but 1400 lifter cycles. Doesn't bode well....

Yup. At least they saw it in a 'real world' scenario. It's got to help, little steps.

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

7 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

A fascist coup was allowed in Bolivia to extract the lithium resources.

We in the west are 100% guilty of enjoying consumer products without thinking about the consequences that face workers and the environment, only somewhere far enough away that we don't care. 

It's not like oil extraction, processing and burning it is the moral alternative either. 

Exactly. I was a chemistry student for 4 years so I know all sorts of nasties go into battery production - both the environmental impacts of extraction and the poisonous compounds they contain. This covers all batteries, not just lithium.

I’m not anti electric vehicle, anti what they’re energy storage source is. Sadly they’re a necessary evil.

Hmm.  Something just woke me up in here by falling over.  Made a godawful crash...and it wasn't my imagination as the dog (who I was completely unaware had snuck in through the door I'd not latched properly and was curled up on the foot of the bed) just about bounced off the ceiling as well.

Can I find anything out of place or any evidence of it?  Not a chance.  Been walking around scratching my head for 15 minutes now...Giving up and going back to bed.

On 29/09/2020 at 19:24, egg said:

How come I didn't know until today, thanks to Matthew Hayward of Octane magazine, that the Alfa 90 could be spec'd with a built in suitcase!?

bf89aa2c-bab4-4183-aeab-a689daed5fce.jpg

There are 9 SORN'd Alfa 90's - none on the road - ok who's got 'em all?

This is one of them

26685264412_a89d11a77f_b.jpg

Wow. Matt from Furious Driving has found a roadworthy one! With the suitcase....just amazing.

Hold on to your Vauxhall Corsas, they're classics* now. I like the way this article describes them as having had "a rapid decline in popularity" rather than having just got rare through getting old and rusty like most types of car do.

https://www.theguardian.com/clture/2020/nov/20/vauxhall-corsa-museum-rare-cars-collection-lakedland-motor-musuem

7 hours ago, eifion said:

Hold on to your Vauxhall Corsas, they're classics* now. I like the way this article describes them as having had "a rapid decline in popularity" rather than having just got rare through getting old and rusty like most types of car do.

https://www.theguardian.com/clture/2020/nov/20/vauxhall-corsa-museum-rare-cars-collection-lakedland-motor-musuem

What an utterly cretinous article, especially the quote from Practical Classics.

Corsa Bs will only be rare because they rot badly in places you can't see until it's too far gone. Unless you are equally idiotic like me and keep having it welded up.