The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

13 minutes ago, sierraman said:

As you say it’s to force the working class off the road. They’ll have you either do that or finance yourself up to the bollocks 

I don't understand it though. Likes of myself who rely on their car for a not so well payed job and need to travel. What do we do then? I don't have a lot of savings in the bank to buy a 10 year old car, let alone an electric car and don't earn anywhere near enough to finance a car and cope with all household bills whilst still having disposable income. Surely this has to be the time where we look to alternative fuels. 

The "go electric" rhetoric really annoys me. I like the idea of electric cars and I think there is a future for them but it is dissapointing to see that alternative fuels aren't even being considered. However, if history has taught us anything with batteries are not really reliable, constant need to be charged and plugged in all the time. There is the argument to say that ICE cars using diesel and petrol have the same problem, need to be filled up all the time and are expensive which I get.  

Are battery powered EV's any better? At my work we use lithium ion batteries to power to power some of the forklift trucks and ppt's we use. These trucks must be between 7-10 years old and according to a work colleague they have to replace them every 18-24 months as they are rubbish. Some of the batteries won't last a full 7 hours of use. 

In summary I just think this hasn't been thought through. Cars are a personal freedom for a lot of people, a lot of people rely on them to make them money. If people can no longer afford to do that, they either have to take public transport which is still expensive and doesn't always get you to where you need to be or on time. 

I just see it as a tactic to win over the environmentalist vote. It's really sad times we are living in. 

But does it matter if they're not in 10yrs? Cars new now will be 10yrs old, 10yr old cars will be 20yrs old. Between the age that many on here have as daily drivers. Plenty of decent 5-10yr old petrol/diesel cars available now that will be available then.

When the last petrol/diesel cars sold in 2030, it'll be 2045 when they are 15 years old and start coming into our price bracket. Likewise petrol/diesel cars sold in 2025 will be still only 20 years old in 2045. 

That's 25 years off. By which point there will be plenty of cheap electric cars.

I'm in my mid 30s now, by that point I'll be 60yrs old and starting to think about retirement. 

51 minutes ago, SiC said:

What's the issue here? It's not banning petrol or diesel cars, just the sale of NEW ones. Going to be plenty of diesel and petrol cars still around for a good while longer. 

I agree, lots of misplaced ire and anger, over nothing really.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

As you say it’s to force the working class off the road. They’ll have you either do that or finance yourself up to the bollocks 

Just how is it going to force you off the roads exactly? Do you buy brand new cars now then? 

22 minutes ago, SiC said:

But does it matter if they're not in 10yrs? Cars new now will be 10yrs old, 10yr old cars will be 20yrs old. Between the age that many on here have as daily drivers. Plenty of decent 5-10yr old petrol/diesel cars available now that will be available then.

When the last petrol/diesel cars sold in 2030, it'll be 2045 when they are 15 years old and start coming into our price bracket. Likewise petrol/diesel cars sold in 2025 will be still only 20 years old in 2045. 

That's 25 years off. By which point there will be plenty of cheap electric cars.

I'm in my mid 30s now, by that point I'll be 60yrs old and starting to think about retirement.

I agree, although road tax rates might affect this thinking. I can imagine diesels and petrols being taxed heavily. 

1 hour ago, stripped fred said:
I agree, although road tax rates might affect this thinking. I can imagine diesels and petrols being taxed heavily. 

It could well happen but if you look at existing tax rates on older cars, there has been no big jump.

We're more likely to see heavier taxes on electric cars. Current taxing schemes don't cover them and there will be more of them on the roads than fuel based eventually. 

I have no interest in new cars now, so whatever plastic apparitions they are selling in 2030 won't be of any interest to me then either. There will still be chod around for decades to come. There's just too many ICE cars on the planet to render them all redundant. 

Besides, won't surprise me in the slightest if between now and 2030 they sneak a total withdrawal from their commitment to the 2030 deadline under the radar. 

It's fundamentally an economic decision, not an environmental one.  If politicians were most concerned about the what's best for the environment,  they'd drastically reduce making new cars and encourage us to keep running the ICE cars we have.  Unfortunately smoking about in old chod just doesn't earning them enough TAX. 

No government seems to expect to be in power beyond the next election, so they can say what they want about 2030 TBH, even if they are in power it won't be the same faces so they might as well say we'll all be driving micro-fusion skycars and living in space for all it matters. Its just headline grabbing drivvel with zero substance behind it.

Just now, Stanky said:

No government seems to expect to be in power beyond the next election, so they can say what they want about 2030 TBH, even if they are in power it won't be the same faces so they might as well say we'll all be driving micro-fusion skycars and living in space for all it matters. Its just headline grabbing drivvel with zero substance behind it.

Never a truer word spoken . They're all two-faced spoilt Eton boys in it for themselves 

3 hours ago, leanycan said:

I don't understand it though. Likes of myself who rely on their car for a not so well payed job and need to travel. What do we do then? I don't have a lot of savings in the bank to buy a 10 year old car, let alone an electric car and don't earn anywhere near enough to finance a car and cope with all household bills whilst still having disposable income. Surely this has to be the time where we look to alternative fuels. 

The "go electric" rhetoric really annoys me. I like the idea of electric cars and I think there is a future for them but it is dissapointing to see that alternative fuels aren't even being considered. However, if history has taught us anything with batteries are not really reliable, constant need to be charged and plugged in all the time. There is the argument to say that ICE cars using diesel and petrol have the same problem, need to be filled up all the time and are expensive which I get.  

Are battery powered EV's any better? At my work we use lithium ion batteries to power to power some of the forklift trucks and ppt's we use. These trucks must be between 7-10 years old and according to a work colleague they have to replace them every 18-24 months as they are rubbish. Some of the batteries won't last a full 7 hours of use. 

In summary I just think this hasn't been thought through. Cars are a personal freedom for a lot of people, a lot of people rely on them to make them money. If people can no longer afford to do that, they either have to take public transport which is still expensive and doesn't always get you to where you need to be or on time. 

I just see it as a tactic to win over the environmentalist vote. It's really sad times we are living in. 

I agree 

435k before needing an engine change:

Owner selling because they couldn't be bothered to replace the clutch: (first one I came to)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284080374654

Loads of other examples of cars going to die because of minor faults, Etcetera. 

There are far more enough cars around to keep us going for a long time if people were prepared to fix existing vehicles. Admittedly UK is one of the worst for it - many/most people in other countries will repair rather than replace. 

On 11/11/2020 at 1:58 PM, gm said:

This has been abandoned outside my place for a few days, no one seems to know who it belongs to (although I suspect the neighbours probably blamed me at first)

FADFA629-A23B-422D-9B04-A58667699BB3.thumb.jpeg.eae6e86fa3cebb422b10356221ac1caf.jpeg

taxed and insured but the mot is a month out of date 

BE955374-63C9-4193-9822-BDF4BE6CC339.thumb.png.74cef4be48be7d86715fd9cf1be1d2c6.png

On 11/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, DVee8 said:

There is/was a blue Peugeot van parked where this parked,maybe he has bought the blue one and wants you to take that one.

it would appear that both vans do indeed belong to the same chap - who does live in our street - the ex gpo red one is apparently sold to one of his mates who will be picking it up soon...hmm, not convinced on that one :) 

Thanks to a couple of mates, we've managed to get the boot open on the Merc. The jump point was indeed on the driver's side (I hadn't spotted it as didn't pull carpet back far enough) so with the aid of some jump leads and a spare battery, we pressed the fob and got into the back to change the battery. Put a spare (weedier) battery on for the short term until the one in it is charged. It still wasn't enough to fire it up, but with the aid of the boost pack it started first turn.

3 hours ago, gm said:

it would appear that both vans do indeed belong to the same chap - who does live in our street - the ex gpo red one is apparently sold to one of his mates who will be picking it up soon...hmm, not convinced on that one :) 

...and were there parcels in the front seat?

7 hours ago, SiC said:

435k before needing an engine change:

Owner selling because they couldn't be bothered to replace the clutch: (first one I came to)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284080374654

Loads of other examples of cars going to die because of minor faults, Etcetera. 

There are far more enough cars around to keep us going for a long time if people were prepared to fix existing vehicles. Admittedly UK is one of the worst for it - many/most people in other countries will repair rather than replace. 

The Galant would be a bit of a special case.  They are a bit unusual, slightly ungainly, not very economical. And that one needs £800 spending on clutch and flywheel and also has some body damage. So just at the spot where it would get abandoned, where a more popular car wouldn't.

Edit:

I didn't realise how unusual they are. Not one for sale on Auto Trader.