The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Do I need to instruct it to download the Almanac, or will it do it automatically?

It'll do it automatically. They are lost if the battery is disconnected or goes flat. Also last (iirc) a week if not used in that time. 

My money is on the GPS antenna being broken. 

16 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Do I need to instruct it to download the Almanac, or will it do it automatically?

Check the connector on the computer is the same, but this should be compatible:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323142581670

(Other cheaper version may be available, that was just the first at the top of my eBay search I just did)

If you do disconnect the computer, make sure the key is out, sat nav off and wait a few minutes. Many of these early satnav systems become corrupted and not fixable if the power is pulled before they fully shutdown. It takes a while from the screen going off before they fully shutdown into a sleep mode. 

After an early(ish) sortie to Peterborough this morning and a meeting with @DaveDorson of this parish I'm now the proud owner of a Fiesta.

A quick load up and a natter and then it was an about turn and head back to the flatlands I call home. 

I stopped briefly at some services to check and refit the straps before taking a gentle ride home, with the Volvo clocking up its 319,900th mile en-route. 

Sadly the picture I took after loading has disappeared, so here it is as it arrived at mine;

IMG_20201114_115135.thumb.jpg.4ef0e585d410b3ddb3451d38a397a4d8.jpg

It has been laid up since March according to Dave and will need a thorough work through before it's presented for test. 

The failing light of this afternoon didn't stop me giving it a quick clean though. 

IMG_20201114_161750.thumb.jpg.f398a6abb3fc08561ad11e337b478fa0.jpgIMG_20201114_161810.thumb.jpg.bccfe1f7a925c1368a54d9fe4d4fed02.jpg

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

No I didn’t hear it, and that’s what the tester said, to listen to he didn’t think there was anything wrong with the exhaust, it was only when the emissions wouldn’t read he traced it back and found a big hole right at the top... neither of us expected it! 

But he’s been extremely fair on the test... the rear seat removal got it through on corrosion.

But as you say easy fix and back in next week hopefully. 

Where’s the leak? Taking the rear bench out is a known and sneaky fix. It’s nit too bad a job to do the mounts with the repair panels now. My mechanic / welder friend did both sides in a couple of hours ( I took the wings off etc). 

Sodding puncture last thing yesterday. I can hear it hissing, found what appears to be a bit of metal in the tyre.

Nothing open for a plug until Monday so I'm driving round on my gimp tyre.

Oh well there are worse things. I got to find out that the garage I went to for my expensive bearings last week at least put the wheels on properly; I got the nuts undone with the wheel brace supplied with the spare tyre. Scaffolding pole not needed, unlike with the garage I usually go to. And there's now copper grease on each nut. That's good to know.

Pug went in for MoT yesterday. Unsurprisingly it failed on: lower bush completely disintegrated (passenger side) front pads, and one headlight not properly working (?) so work on it is getting done.

I reckon come early December I'll have a fully legal and repaired daily. But I'll almost certainly be selling up as I am still after a large stupid luxo barge.

20201113_123443.thumb.jpg.9fd2da78976f74a2be5ea3c87061cc7c.jpg

20201113_124945.thumb.jpg.f51d150de89fc8629deb294b12c46648.jpg

I must admit. I am growing to like it though and it does clean up well. If I were to keep it, I'd get a check-strap for passenger door, sort out the LCD on the radio, maybe chuck some bigger 407 alloys and er....thats it.....

17 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Where’s the leak? Taking the rear bench out is a known and sneaky fix. It’s nit too bad a job to do the mounts with the repair panels now. My mechanic / welder friend did both sides in a couple of hours ( I took the wings off etc). 

Leak is up on the swan neck.

As for the welding, it’s started to creep into the box section too, so might have to cut a little bit to get to solid metal. I’m hoping the whole box section doesn’t need doing, I think there’s a triangular repair panel which will cover the section I need, but I need to get poking with my screwdriver. Once it has an MoT again I can get some quotes for the work, I want it doing properly, and whilst I’m at at it I’ll see about getting three point seatbelts fitted.

Then we can get to work on the tatty exterior. 

5 hours ago, brownnova said:

Leak is up on the swan neck.

As for the welding, it’s started to creep into the box section too, so might have to cut a little bit to get to solid metal. I’m hoping the whole box section doesn’t need doing, I think there’s a triangular repair panel which will cover the section I need, but I need to get poking with my screwdriver. Once it has an MoT again I can get some quotes for the work, I want it doing properly, and whilst I’m at at it I’ll see about getting three point seatbelts fitted.

Then we can get to work on the tatty exterior. 

Not got a spare swan neck sorry. It is the bit that has rusted most on mine though - the muck is kicked up from the road and water collects there on the inside. My garage’s courtesy car had three point belts in the back. They had made a steel frame to fix the innertial reels to so that the belt was above the seat back. My reluctance to do this is why I have my sister’s 2cv and my nieces haven’t been in it.

My Peugeot 205 decided that it didn't want to start while I was out this morning. The earth terminal has this plasic screw-down thing that's been getting increasingly worn and today was the day it decided not to earth properly any more. All I had on me was a 10mm spanner but it turned out to be all I needed to act as a temporary connection to earth . I'll get it fixed properly before I go out in it again.

1741088854_2020-11-1515_25_35.thumb.jpg.111753f939ce3409f2fcdc237e84c7f7.jpg

My dad has the x1/9 booked in for its mot tomorrow at the Citroen dealer where he has the ds4 done. Being in wales he can’t cross the border to the place that’s done it for the last 14years. He says it will be fine. I’m not so sure. It’s done 60miles since the last mot. What could possibly go wrong?

2 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Not got a spare swan neck sorry. It is the bit that has rusted most on mine though - the muck is kicked up from the road and water collects there on the inside. My garage’s courtesy car had three point belts in the back. They had made a steel frame to fix the innertial reels to so that the belt was above the seat back. My reluctance to do this is why I have my sister’s 2cv and my nieces haven’t been in it.

I swapped the exhaust on the yellow 2CV last week and discovered the swan neck was holed too... so can’t even cannibalise that one! I’ll order one tomorrow from ECAS, need a few bits anyway. 

Ive seen steel frames, but the ones at the front are mounted onto a reinforced bit on the main shell, I’m wondering if that can be recreated on the front... if not I’ll shell out for the steel frame... 

3 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I swapped the exhaust on the yellow 2CV last week and discovered the swan neck was holed too... so can’t even cannibalise that one! I’ll order one tomorrow from ECAS, need a few bits anyway. 

Ive seen steel frames, but the ones at the front are mounted onto a reinforced bit on the main shell, I’m wondering if that can be recreated on the front... if not I’ll shell out for the steel frame... 

The main issue is that there isn’t a strong enough place to mount the top anchor on the back Of the car body.

17 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

The main issue is that there isn’t a strong enough place to mount the top anchor on the back Of the car body.

That's the reason I sold my 2cv and replaced it with a van. My kids would never travel in the back (well they did once and given they've never travelled in a car without belts, they were not keen) so it seemed pointless having a four seater. 

1 minute ago, meshking said:

That's the reason I sold my 2cv and replaced it with a van. My kids would never travel in the back (well they did once and given they've never travelled in a car without belts, they were not keen) so it seemed pointless having a four seater. 

When we were young my sister and I happily travelled over France etc in the back of dyanes with the lap belts. Times change. Well safety and perception of such change.

38 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Ah ok, thanks, it did seem a little too simple. Was thinking just on the pillar like the front. But if it’s not strong enough that’s why I’ve never seen it done. I’ll revert to plan b... unless I find a suitable plan c! Any particular reason you’re against the frame in yours? 

15 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

When we were young my sister and I happily travelled over France etc in the back of dyanes with the lap belts. Times change. Well safety and perception of such change.

The 12 y.o. is fine with the lap belt, sadly it’s car seats for the baby which don’t fit.... 

My faithful, if decrepit, "upstairs PC" died today.  It's had a good innings - I bought it second hand 7 or 8 years ago, and it really is hopelessly slow nowadays, but it'd never gone wrong until today so I'd never got round to replacing it - although I did frequently swear at it when it would sit there for ages with the hard drive grinding away as the swap file struggled to make up the countless gigabytes of RAM that every website seems to take up these days.

I think it's the PSU that's gone.  I've found a replacement on eBay, but I've decided to bite the bullet and splash out on a newer PC.  The logical thing to do would be to move the downstairs PC upstairs (downstairs PC is a lot newer and has a quad core CPU and Windows 10) and then just use my work laptop as the downstairs computer, with a proper keyboard / mouse / monitor plugged in, but that'd be far too sensible, plus I can't really use the work laptop to visit adult-interest websites.

Got very little of any interest done on the cars this weekend because the weather was so crap.  I found the source of water ingress on the Carina - it was getting past the lower door window seals - so I've run a strip of the narrow Gorilla tape along the bottom of the window which should hopefully stop the worst of it - then I ran an extension lead out and had a fan heater pointing at the carpet for a couple of hours to dry it out.

I had the Rover 75 up on ramps to look for any obvious MOT fails, and found none apart from a couple of discoloured indicator bulbs.  The height adjustment also doesn't work any more on the nearside headlight (I disconnected it as it was only working intermittently anyway) so that might get picked up on - it'll be new headlight time if it does.

Then the Granvia went up on the ramps so I could have another play with the gearbox sensors - I pulled all the multiplugs off and gave them a good clean with contact cleaner, all except the main plug to the gearbox ECU which was full of some kind of grease (presumably a conductive kind).  It hasn't made any difference - it still gets stuck in third gear.  Although I took it out a few times earlier in the week and the 'box was behaving perfectly, for some reason.  I'll do a fluid change as soon as it stays dry for long enough - next thing to look at after that will be the mph conversion chip for the speedo.  I also noticed that the outer sill below the passenger door is looking rather bubbly - now that I can get to the inside of the outer sill, what with the inner sill having gone the way of all flesh, I'll try to give it a clean out and rustproof / underseal it so it doesn't dissolve completely over the winter.

I have so far failed to find the source of the water ingress on the Renault 6.  I cleared out the scuttle drains (the scuttle was full of water), but that doesn't seem to have stopped it - nor does spraying the seal rejuvenating shiz round the door seals.  That does seem (touch wood) to have done the trick on the C2 though - the carpet in that has stayed reassuringly dry through the latest bout of shit weather.  I really need to get the Renault indoors for the winter, although there seems to be a dearth of cheap garages at the minute and I can't afford an expensive garage.  It's going to get a cover over it for now to keep the rain out, although I don't know how long that will last before some pisshead nicks it...

Wearing finest Gimp tyre, normal wheel in the boot taking up too much space, we have a date with the tyre shop.

I thought I could get a plug repair, but having now seen the size of concrete deeply embedded in the tyre it's going to have to be a new tyre.

I'm going to stoop low and go with the garage's suggestion of a budget tyre. Shame when the car came with nearly new Bridgestone all round. I bought the tyres and got a free car this summer!

20201116_085925.jpg

20201116_085919.jpg

Just juggled the wheels on the Combo van ahead of a fitting of four Michelin Cross Climate+ tyres on Wednesday. I'd secured a spare set of Doblo steelies with half decent Michelins on for £50 on Friday, so have replaced the rear wheels with the excellent Toyo Nano Energy 3 on (7mm tread left, done 33K miles) with two of the Doblo steelies with Michelin Duragrip on (4mm of tread).  This leaves me with a spare set of wheels for the van with those two Toyos and a couple of Michelin Efficient Grip with 6mm on.

And what about this for a deal ? CC+ x 4 for the price of four mid-range tyres. F1 Autocentre online only, £22.60 off each tyre when you buy four. Bonkers

spacer.png