The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

34 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Is it just me, or does the 'UP TO 20% OFF TYRES AND BATTERIES ON TREBLE STAMPS' look like it was created on a giant Dymo labeller? Each pump would have had it's own flavour of fuel, rather than the multi-nozzles we have now on one stand.

hah it does

but I think they are made up of raised digit Number plates :) 

39 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

I was up  close and personal with a 1985 Manta GTE coupe today. It gave me tinglings and ideas, taking me right back to my yoof and the 2 I had .. I was wobbly knee'd enough before the figure of thirteen grand was mentioned.  I think I need a Delorean, as a Manta is unobtainable.  

Don't say this, you can still find them! This year was supposed to be sell the Locost and travel to the continent to find an unmolested Manta coupe, so I could molest it myself.  Hopefully it'll still happen...

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

Told stuboyjr to always park his corsa up against the fence so I can double park as not to be an insensitive neighbour.. well he didn't so thought mondeo should 'kiss' the corsa... he moaned about damage msy of caused..pfft..

20201110_154256.jpg

I used to park against amys car like that... Love tap I called it

Mainly cos it wound her up in the mornings

1 hour ago, dome said:

Don't say this, you can still find them! This year was supposed to be sell the Locost and travel to the continent to find an unmolested Manta coupe, so I could molest it myself.  Hopefully it'll still happen...

I do prefer an ascona.. my first opel was a mk1 cavalier 2 door that I asconafied with all the proper bits. Always wanted a 400 replica and have been browsing Europe for a few years now. It seems to be getting more of a dream as the months go by.  

10 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Is it just me, or does the 'UP TO 20% OFF TYRES AND BATTERIES ON TREBLE STAMPS' look like it was created on a giant Dymo labeller? Each pump would have had it's own flavour of fuel, rather than the multi-nozzles we have now on one stand.

Yes, if you look at the pumps the far left is Super Shell 5*, then 4* (with octane ratings above). Far right, ShellMex is 2* 91 octane. The clockface pump hidden near the minibus/camper I think was paraffin. They were all gone before I was born!

10 hours ago, stuboy said:

still in the family?

Business sold 1988 but grandparents owned the property. We sold the property to the tenants in 2014/5 to pay for nan’s care. Thankfully there was a deed of covenant put in the sale that the whole site must remain as a vehicle repair centre for 25 years after the sale.

10 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Knowing granddad, he got my mum to pake them up on the number plate press when she was about 13!

She hated being a petrol pump attendant, all her schoolmates were jealous.

11 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

I do prefer an ascona.. my first opel was a mk1 cavalier 2 door that I asconafied with all the proper bits. Always wanted a 400 replica and have been browsing Europe for a few years now. It seems to be getting more of a dream as the months go by.  

They've all gone to Ireland for the rally boys to play with

43 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Have the developers been sniffing around yet?

They were from around 2000, grandad told them to bugger off as they wanted to pay a pittance for the land. It's a very busy garage which has been there since the early 20th century. Neil who owns it now has been working there since the mid 1990s and when he bought the property with his business partner they had no intention of selling it off for housing development.

They're quite chod friendly as well and highly rated on the trusted garage schemes.

There are only two things better than a pogweaseled ex-RM sherpa; two pogweaseled ex-RM sherpas or one pogweaseled ex-RM sherpa with shit vinyl flame decals up the side. Is there someone living in it? The rooflight makes it look like a stealth camper.

14 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

There are only two things better than a pogweaseled ex-RM sherpa; two pogweaseled ex-RM sherpas or one pogweaseled ex-RM sherpa with shit vinyl flame decals up the side. Is there someone living in it? The rooflight makes it look like a stealth camper.

There is nothing stealth about that camper

3 hours ago, gm said:

This has been abandoned outside my place for a few days, no one seems to know who it belongs to (although I suspect the neighbours probably blamed me at first)

FADFA629-A23B-422D-9B04-A58667699BB3.thumb.jpeg.eae6e86fa3cebb422b10356221ac1caf.jpeg

taxed and insured but the mot is a month out of date 

BE955374-63C9-4193-9822-BDF4BE6CC339.thumb.png.74cef4be48be7d86715fd9cf1be1d2c6.png

That normally parks round the corner to you along from the doctors,towards Dovecote farm .

I'm finally allowed back outside again tomorrow- been stuck in isolation for the last 2 weeks, as my wife unfortunately caught a dose of the 'rona. (She's back in work again and feeling almost human- it's left her asthma playing up so she's on steroids and inhalers again, but no sign of the long Covid thank fuck)

So at some point today I should go out and attempt to start the 6 as the temperamental fucker has been stood sulking at me. (Better check in daylight, rather than at 5am tomorrow when trying to go to work)

It was running fine when I parked up, but standing and chinese electronics mean that I'm going to be spinning the wheel of fortune, especially since you can't jump start one of these- it's a guaranteed way to fry the bcu.

Nice of the council to sweep some of the leaves up around it though

IMG_20201112_125831.thumb.jpg.ba0830d4368ac638ebc62c58be4eecae.jpg

Got me Merc back. Yay!

£2063 though which was a tad 'ouch!' but that was a hundred quid less than they quoted and... They have also done all the advisories -tyre valves (which was annoying as the tyres were new at Christmas) handbrake (only just met required effort), front wheel bearings (slight play). Done a full alignment on the old girl, new subframe, all new bushes/bolts/arms and a new loom (£46 for a bit of MB wire!) new discs and pads, also painted all the callipers (which pleases me greatly!) and the service and gave me back the unused Mobil fully synthetic oil I requested they use.

So while it's a fucking lot of dosh at least MY SuLKy is one of the few that HASN'T got a rusty rear subframe!

As I am so quick to say nearly all the garages in Torbay are utter shit/robbers/useless I am also quick to point out that some place do go above and beyond, do what they say they will, do it on time and with courtesy. That is why, I have used Central for 20 years. Yes, I occasionally use other people (Pete down the road) when people recommend them, but when they prove to have variable time scales (like Pete - he's noted for having his own ideas of 'days and weeks') then I have to give them the elbow as it drives me fucking mad when they say 'today' but mean 'next week'!

38 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Zuh???  WTF are you supposed to do if the battery goes flat then?

It's a convoluted process that involves keeping the key fob as far away as possible from the car after opening the doors, waiting 10 minutes for the bcu to switch off again, hoping that you don't accidentally activate any electronics until after you've connected any booster pack up and prayer.

Lots of prayers. 

Maybe even a blood sacrifice to be sure.

Then put the key fob in the dock and hope that it's not lost connection to the car on the resultant power on. 

Or in the words of the manual "consult your local mg dealer if an problems occur"

On the plus side, it fired straight into life and only forgot to unlock the rear doors until it had idled for 5 minutes. 

My neighbour has had a Toyota Starlet parked up for 4 years. It's filthy. He asked me to see if I could get it moving so that  he can make a decision about what to do with it.

IMG_20201112_122215.thumb.jpg.201dcdf88d25d1f412ac8a7083c321da.jpgIMG_20201112_122219.thumb.jpg.58185c64274c8708408b3cd37a58cdd4.jpg

I put my spare battery on it and gave it a couple of good long cranks, whereupon it sprang to life. The clutch started working after some pedal pumping. The hand brake had locked on, but one side freed when I attempted movement. I jacked up the other side and rocked the wheel back and forth until there was a loud ping. After that I moved it out onto the drive .Good old Toyota.

Now he's getting back to me with a decision. It's a good car, only 90k miles, genuinely owned by a nun for many years,so hopefully it will get back on the road one way or another.

Well that's an improvement.

IMG_20201112_144901.thumb.jpg.ac79882f197250a106e40c8e64723e13.jpg

IMG_20201112_170237.thumb.jpg.dd07654af8e004cc2cbe518641be9222.jpg

My fears of the front end alignment being miles off appear to be slightly less now as she actually tracks in a straight line now - which given how unevenly both tyres were worn (they were *badly* out of round too) it was downright astonishing the car was even driveable.  Then a high speed evansive manoeuvre wound up putting a massive flat spot in both, that was last time the car was driven save for a 1/2 mile 20mph trundle to our nearest supermarket to make sure the brakes didn't seize a couple of weeks ago.

55 minutes ago, artdjones said:

My neighbour has had a Toyota Starlet parked up for 4 years. It's filthy. He asked me to see if I could get it moving so that  he can make a decision about what to do with it.

IMG_20201112_122215.thumb.jpg.201dcdf88d25d1f412ac8a7083c321da.jpgIMG_20201112_122219.thumb.jpg.58185c64274c8708408b3cd37a58cdd4.jpg

I put my spare battery on it and gave it a couple of good long cranks, whereupon it sprang to life. The clutch started working after some pedal pumping. The hand brake had locked on, but one side freed when I attempted movement. I jacked up the other side and rocked the wheel back and forth until there was a loud ping. After that I moved it out onto the drive .Good old Toyota.

Now he's getting back to me with a decision. It's a good car, only 90k miles, genuinely owned by a nun for many years,so hopefully it will get back on the road one way or another.

That's prime-rib winter beater material. Hardly surprising it sprung to life,  another testament to the Starlet's cockroach reputation  :)