The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

28 minutes ago, SiC said:

The conversation probably went to the local motorfactors

"Need some hubs and bearings for a Mondeo"

"Yeh got 'em on the shelf. 80 quid each."

"Ta, send 'em round now."

Then two to three hours labour on top of that. 

Pretty much.

I have ordered parts myself then given them and the car to the garage. I don't think they like that!

The funny thing is there are so many garages in town, it's difficult to know who's best at what jobs. And they are all booked up to the eyeballs.

Anyway I have a quiet and smooth car and even if you add the cost of the car and all the parts and repairs I've done it has still cost peanuts😜

51 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Pretty much.

I have ordered parts myself then given them and the car to the garage. I don't think they like that!

The funny thing is there are so many garages in town, it's difficult to know who's best at what jobs. And they are all booked up to the eyeballs.

Anyway I have a quiet and smooth car and even if you add the cost of the car and all the parts and repairs I've done it has still cost peanuts😜

Your car is fixed. You paid someone’s wages. 

Sometimes I’ll have a go. Sometimes I won’t. But whenever I pass a job to a garage, it’s never with embarrassment or shame. It usually follows the “cost benefit analysis” (Can I be arsed vs Can I afford to pay someone vs How busy am I?)

15 hours ago, Out Run said:

It’s understandable that you may have not wanted to do the job, but that’s expensive!

Mk3? The bearings are about £30 each and it’s 4 torx bolts to remove and the ABS sensor to unplug.

It seems pretty cheeky from the garage. Unless I’m missing something?

I’ve never had to change them on any of my mk4’s, but I’m fairly sure it’s the same approach.

Cheap ones are £30 a piece but the FAG or SKF bearings are closer to £120 each. Not a difficult job at all so long as you use the right bit on the bolts holding the bearing to the hub carrier. Probably assuming they don’t seize or shear then no more than an hours labour per side. You’ve probably not been ripped off if they’re SKF or FAG but why you’d fit these to a 20 year old banger I don’t know. 

On 05/11/2020 at 22:18, vulgalour said:

My print/scanner combo has decided it doesn't want to talk to my computer any more, which means I've got a couple of unfinished traditional automotive art pieces there's not much point in me finishing until I replace the thing, or get it talking again.  Tried all the usual updates with drivers etc. and while the computer can see the device, and the device can see the computer, they're not on speaking terms and we can't figure out why.  Never mind, I've been wanting to replace it with a laser printer and a separate flatbed scanner for a while so this is as good an excuse as any.

That means I've been trying to get better at digital automotive artwork and I've been picking away at this Fury, getting stumped for a wheel choice until finding this excellent photo in the reference folder which might originally have been posted by someone on here, I'm not sure.

972495803_AvengerandCharger.thumb.jpg.977e119894d27fb560aa9d2dc0a53751.jpg

969256377_68PlymouthFury.thumb.jpg.01a8e9ecbaed7ebdb056411bf0aa735c.jpg

No idea what the wheel is, I just know it works for what I'm creating and seemed to be a fairly popular style for American stuff in Australia.

The yellow car trailering the JRG avenger estate would also make a cracking artwork.

17 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Saw this in London yesterday - how TF can they justify charging more to park a diesel? Pretty sure all vehicle emissions are the same when they're not being driven

20201109_142616.jpg

Quite sobering when you remember that £7.35 isn't far from the National Minimum Wage....

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Quite sobering when you remember that £7.35 isn't far from the National Minimum Wage....

Imagine being 18 working in McDonald's for example. The parking space is nearly earning a quid an hour more than you.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that. I think on balance I'm choosing cry and wondering what world we live in.

Screenshot_20201110-103421_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Saw this in London yesterday - how TF can they justify charging more to park a diesel? Pretty sure all vehicle emissions are the same when they're not being driven

20201109_142616.jpg

its not the only place in London to do that, the residents parking for where I live also has a Diesel surcharge

image.png.7e32b8250dd77a0816ce10421361a7ff.png

Fairly sure the chap with the diesel is saving more than the £100 in fuel costs over the petrol. If I was getting penalised like that I’d make sure it was the dirtiest smokiest badly serviced heap of shit old diesel I could find. Ideally one that chucks loads of clag out in a morning and makes the place look a right mess. 

45 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

its not the only place in London to do that, the residents parking for where I live also has a Diesel surcharge

image.png.7e32b8250dd77a0816ce10421361a7ff.png

I'm just off out to kiss my driveway. My current fleet of chod looks like it would cost £1000 a year just to park.

Tell a lie. It's £752.50

Edited by Agila
Cost actually added up. 3 cars.

17 minutes ago, Agila said:

I'm just off out to kiss my driveway. My current fleet of chod looks like it would cost £1000 a year just to park.

Fleet, Hah! its only 1 vehicle per resident here LOL 

thankfully my 44 year old Invacar Model 70 will "only" cost  £114 to park for the year, cuz its small engine means it only puts out the cleanest of emissions right? LOL (not that im complaining mind, although I would not complain even more if there was a free historic vehicle exemption LOL)

Yeah be very thankful you dont live in London and even have a drive way!

Mum sent me a picture of granddad's garage in the late 1960s-early 1970s today. Mum used to make numberplates and serve petrol, and granddad had a team of 5 mechanics with him. 1973-4 was when granddad stopped selling petrol. The business is still going but now in other hands since he sold the business in 1988. Nan still owned the garage until 2015, 2 years after granddad passed away.

GRSS.thumb.jpeg.db5216b96fcdc3123237afc8a0fa8e47.jpeg

There's a big workshop behind this frontage with 4 ramp bays in it and a yard. Granddad used to be a Rootes group dealer/service agent until he bought the business off them in the late 1960s. Last time I went there in 2005 they still had a hydragas Dalek.

Thermostat on the TT today which mercifully seems to have solved the temp/eml issue.

Because alternator off, so battery off. 

Because battery off, so windows forget about down and up, so the tiny auto drop feature when opening the door doesn't work and now window open a crack in OH MY GOD IT'S WET WORST YEAR EVER 2020.

Given how tired and depressed I am, and how monumentally unobservant I am, it is nothing short of a miracle that I noticed and was able to remind the windows about their roll in life.

Bleh.

40 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Mum sent me a picture of granddad's garage in the late 1960s-early 1970s today. Mum used to make numberplates and serve petrol, and granddad had a team of 5 mechanics with him. 1973-4 was when granddad stopped selling petrol. The business is still going but now in other hands since he sold the business in 1988. Nan still owned the garage until 2015, 2 years after granddad passed away.

There's a big workshop behind this frontage with 4 ramp bays in it and a yard. Granddad used to be a Rootes group dealer/service agent until he bought the business off them in the late 1960s. Last time I went there in 2005 they still had a hydragas Dalek.

Love the pair of Falks Beaufort Lanterns on the forecourt :) 

heres a couple examples that a friend of mine has and which he did a lovely restoration on :)

image.thumb.png.2056323c26f492b8f8eae3c61e0135ae.png

image.thumb.png.db8353a315cb52168a4e137c6c3f9db4.png

11 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

still in the family?

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Is it just me, or does the 'UP TO 20% OFF TYRES AND BATTERIES ON TREBLE STAMPS' look like it was created on a giant Dymo labeller? Each pump would have had it's own flavour of fuel, rather than the multi-nozzles we have now on one stand.