The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 minutes ago, cobblers said:

116246145_2020-11-0512_34_44.thumb.jpg.5ba958de89eeac285dd442aefaedfc50.jpg

This got delivered today. 310bhp. I did one lap of the business park in it. Fucking terrifying. Absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it.

Is that the darksides developments one? Did you win the raffle?

If so, well done!

39 minutes ago, cobblers said:

This got delivered today. 310bhp. I did one lap of the business park in it. Fucking terrifying. Absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it.

Wow! Nice one Cobblers. I didn't get a ticket but it looks like a real weapon! 

My print/scanner combo has decided it doesn't want to talk to my computer any more, which means I've got a couple of unfinished traditional automotive art pieces there's not much point in me finishing until I replace the thing, or get it talking again.  Tried all the usual updates with drivers etc. and while the computer can see the device, and the device can see the computer, they're not on speaking terms and we can't figure out why.  Never mind, I've been wanting to replace it with a laser printer and a separate flatbed scanner for a while so this is as good an excuse as any.

That means I've been trying to get better at digital automotive artwork and I've been picking away at this Fury, getting stumped for a wheel choice until finding this excellent photo in the reference folder which might originally have been posted by someone on here, I'm not sure.

972495803_AvengerandCharger.thumb.jpg.977e119894d27fb560aa9d2dc0a53751.jpg

969256377_68PlymouthFury.thumb.jpg.01a8e9ecbaed7ebdb056411bf0aa735c.jpg

No idea what the wheel is, I just know it works for what I'm creating and seemed to be a fairly popular style for American stuff in Australia.

3 hours ago, Vince70 said:

Today I put the misses Ford Ka into hibernation till spring and gave it a wax and put a cover over it.

It recently just passed its MOT with no advisory’s and the MOT tester thought he had gone back to 1998 as he hadn’t seen a rust free example before but It has only done 19000 so it’s not surprising I guess and the best £150 I’ve spent on a motor.

I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes in the  sills and filling them up with old engine oil to stop any rot but hopefully if it’s not going near any salt I think it should be ok.

But now it’s upside down I should be able to check the underside at least.

936C085F-66BF-4AE2-85ED-505AC8B16957.jpeg

AE011F6C-075C-4FE1-B8B0-E1948E582ABC.jpeg

That looks bloody lovely. 

I really do fancy one of these.  Only modification I'd do would be the alloy ball gear knob from a Puma as it feels so much nicer in the hand.  Such fun little go karts these original Kas.

8 hours ago, egg said:

I harbour a little fantasy of finding the earliest Ka left and keeping it mint. Preferably a base model (even though no PAS on early ones) - apparently Richard Porter had one as his first car cos the reviewers said the non-PAS car handled better. 

IIRC all early Ka left the factory as the bASe and the upgrade to Ka2 was done at the dealers. Wonder why adding PAS made a difference to the handling 

10 hours ago, Vince70 said:

Today I put the misses Ford Ka into hibernation till spring and gave it a wax and put a cover over it.

It recently just passed its MOT with no advisory’s and the MOT tester thought he had gone back to 1998 as he hadn’t seen a rust free example before but It has only done 19000 so it’s not surprising I guess and the best £150 I’ve spent on a motor.

I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes in the  sills and filling them up with old engine oil to stop any rot but hopefully if it’s not going near any salt I think it should be ok.

That’s a rarity. Ours only had 30k when purchased but had clearly been sat outside for years and the screen pillars are both rotten where they meet the scuttle (which might not be too clever either). It’s also on its way in the sills, under the back of the drivers door, the inner sills at the back and the front subframe mounts. The fuel filler pocket is a notorious rot spot but ours is ok there, saved by the low mileage.

If you want to keep it, I’d paint the underside and underseal it, dinitrol the sills and keep it garaged.

A friend of mine had an early Ka  years back and it was non power steering I think it was actually on a P plate and back then it seemed all of the base models were red.

This one is a poverty spec car and it drives great and it doesn’t give you any toys and we have another one which is an 04 which is fully loaded.

When we first got  the 04 car It was bought for an 18th birthday present  it was such a great car to drive that my misses wanted one for herself and the nearest thing I can think it reminded me of was my Mk3 XR2i back in the early 90s.

1949FCC2-13B2-4009-9D45-27C05B92251E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Vince70 said:

A friend of mine had an early Ka  years back and it was non power steering I think it was actually on a P plate and back then it seemed all of the base models were red.

This one is a poverty spec car and it drives great and it doesn’t give you any toys and we have another one which is an 04 which is fully loaded.

When we first got in the 04 car for an 18th birthday present  it was such a great car to drive that my misses wanted one for herself and the nearest thing I can think it reminded me of was my Mk3 XR2i back in the early 90s.

1949FCC2-13B2-4009-9D45-27C05B92251E.jpeg

Phooarrr one chodtastic Ka you have there. 

13 hours ago, cobblers said:

Incredible! I bought a ticket, but no such luck for me.

If you need some passenger seat ballast I'm available at short notice.

Have had to buy a new battery for the Volvo as the old one has gone flat as a pancake from sitting so long and the charger won't touch it.

This has got me thinking about how much work and money the C2 is likely to need for a test, as its battery wasn't particularly great even before it was put in storage and it'll need a decent battery to diagnose the ABS fault in order to get it tested. In all honesty I don't feel like even trying with it, but at the same time trying to sell an immobile car with no MOT is a pain at the best of times let alone right now. I want it out of the way so I have more space to work on the pug. It's too good to scrap, plenty of life left in it, I just can't be arsed.

17 hours ago, Vince70 said:

I have the raging horn for an early KA.  I'll never forget my Dad turning up with one on a dark December evening.  His Mondeo was in for a service and they gave him a very early (96?) Ka base in Green... like this library image

1996 Ford Ka #9 | Ford, Automobile, Auto

I thought it was superb.  I remember watching an item in the lunchtime news about them; how they were designed by students (?) and even then - as someone who only had a passing interest in cars - I could see their potential as future classics.

I remember being struck by how spartan it was inside, but how different and modern it was.  

Enjoy it @Vince70 (but not between the months of November and May!) 

Wasn't sure whether this should go here, or in the Grumpy thread or in the Moderns section (but couldn't find a suitable thread there).

Next Monday my Mitsubishi Mirage Juro is having a scheduled service.  The dealer wanted £630 plus whatever they considered needed* replacing e.g. front discs and pads are a favourite at an additional £400 or so for genuine Mitsi bits.   The service schedule is out of phase because the dealer gave it a premature 1st service when I bought it. Now, with only 33.5K miles on the clock, it's kicked the schedule to a first major service - at least 20K early.  Although the car is still under its 5 years warranty I'm having a normal service done elsewhere at trade rates - my son works at a main dealer but it's not Mitsi.  Yes, there's a risk of warranty hassle if the car misbehaves but it's Japanese so WCPGW?

On the following Monday, my '94 Tipo is going in to a different garage for approximately £600 of welding and an MOT, having had a pre-MOT check a few weeks ago.  This does not bother me.

Are Covid restrictions messing with my sanity 😃?

46 minutes ago, RayMK said:

Wasn't sure whether this should go here, or in the Grumpy thread or in the Moderns section (but couldn't find a suitable thread there).

Next Monday my Mitsubishi Mirage Juro is having a scheduled service.  The dealer wanted £630 plus whatever they considered needed* replacing e.g. front discs and pads are a favourite at an additional £400 or so for genuine Mitsi bits.   The service schedule is out of phase because the dealer gave it a premature 1st service when I bought it. Now, with only 33.5K miles on the clock, it's kicked the schedule to a first major service - at least 20K early.  Although the car is still under its 5 years warranty I'm having a normal service done elsewhere at trade rates - my son works at a main dealer but it's not Mitsi.  Yes, there's a risk of warranty hassle if the car misbehaves but it's Japanese so WCPGW?

On the following Monday, my '94 Tipo is going in to a different garage for approximately £600 of welding and an MOT, having had a pre-MOT check a few weeks ago.  This does not bother me.

Are Covid restrictions messing with my sanity 😃?

From memory - as long as the garage follows the service schedule, and they are a VAT paying concern, you can crack on.  The only worry is that things aren't being done that the Main Dealer says should be.  But - as you say - the chances now of you needing to make a warranty claim are now quite slender.

As for the Tipo... your behaviour here is entirely correct and I doff the AS collective's hat in your direction!

2 hours ago, reb said:

At the same time trying to sell an immobile car with no MOT is a pain at the best of times let alone right now. I want it out of the way so I have more space to work on the pug. It's too good to scrap, plenty of life left in it, I just can't be arsed.

I know that feeling! That's why the Mondeo is at the garage having cash thrown at it! It has 2 months MOT after an extension.

Now in wondering if I ought to get the BMW running sweetly then selling that car, even though I love it. But I think it will garner more interest and sell quicker and at less of a loss!

Went up to the car storage and gave this old crate a warm up spin around the block.
06dbcdac24f8087848f582f1afcd8338.jpg
8e43eb5169a63be2c7d8738bd072d8a0.jpg

Then dumped the Dolomite windshield in the boot as somewhere safe and away from where I'm working in the garage. Also popped my extensive collection of spare wheels up there too.
7cd3970463425baa251ca8608b5589c1.jpg

The BGT definitely has a old hot rider look to the sagging rear end. Think it's going to need a new set of rear springs soon.
0a226af6eec9141a6088189784813ce7.jpg