The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

So the CC wasn't due a test until the middle of December courtesy of Boris, but with another lockdown approaching I bit the bullet early.

Screenshot_20201103-164205.thumb.png.b30d94ec1386c68ceb7ba562c506ae7c.png

OK, if failed this morning as the airbag light came on (the connector under the drivers seat fell to pieces when I tried to dismantle it - chocolate block sorted that) and there was a lot of movement in the bottom o/s suspension ball joint (sorted by fitting a new clamp bolt).

There's two advisories, bottom ball joint covers are on their way out and the joint on the (newish) exhaust has a minor leak on the backbox.

Otherwise, yipeeeeee.

Just the dodgy, typical French electrics on the headlight switch to look at.

2 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

So the CC wasn't due a test until the middle of December courtesy of Boris, but with another lockdown approaching I bit the bullet early.

Screenshot_20201103-164205.thumb.png.b30d94ec1386c68ceb7ba562c506ae7c.png

OK, if failed this morning as the airbag light came on (the connector under the drivers seat fell to pieces when I tried to dismantle it - chocolate block sorted that) and there was a lot of movement in the bottom o/s suspension ball joint (sorted by fitting a new clamp bolt).

There's two advisories, bottom ball joint covers are on their way out and the joint on the (newish) exhaust has a minor leak on the backbox.

Otherwise, yipeeeeee.

Just the dodgy, typical French electrics on the headlight switch to look at.

If I remember, there was a connector in Wifeys old 206 under the glove box that if I manage to catch it with my feet would make the brake lights come on all the time.

Dodgy electrics indeed!

Well done on the pass.

16 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

If I remember, there was a connector in Wifeys old 206 under the glove box that if I manage to catch it with my feet would make the brake lights come on all the time.

Dodgy electrics indeed!

Well done on the pass.

It’s the LHD>RHD conversion, the brake master is still on the left so there’s a steel tube that transfers the pedal effort across up under the dash, plus the switch for the lights is up under there on the passenger side. Bit of a dogs breakfast.

9 minutes ago, HMC said:

It’s the LHD>RHD conversion, the brake master is still on the left so there’s a steel tube that transfers the pedal effort across up under the dash, plus the switch for the lights is up under there on the passenger side. Bit of a dogs breakfast.

Quite. Pretty much all the cars I've ever owned were designed and built in LHD, apart from some Rover R8s. I think even my Mitsubishi Carisma was designed and built in Europe. 

None of them have had this issue!

45 minutes ago, HMC said:

That's a common Renault trick too. Laguna II and Scenic II both did it. Probably Mégane II too (can't remember but the Scenic is based on it). Interestingly the pedals on the Clio was converted properly. But they didn't bother moving the wiper mechanism though. 

Yes Phil, very tidy indeed. The underneath is reassuringly solid, faded lacquer peel paint FTW, and the interior is generally good and complete with all seven seats.

I should also say the pez shot was staged, as @worldofceri delivered it safely yesterday. A++ trailer services, but you all know that already.

Bluebird has had an electric wingmirror refitted after repair, at which point the electric window adjacent also sprung into action, odd. Must be grounded via the wingmirror circuit or something? 

The boot is now properly sealed and the trim that was held on with tape has been Tigersealed too, which doesn't look the best, but replacement trim seems to be unobtanium. 

Does make me realise how much having the Capri down the road (even just 5 minutes) reduces the time I spend on it. The garage is ideal in every other facet, but not being round the back of my flats seems to make the difference between me tinkering regularly and it seeming like a chore to go down. Anyway, popping down to try and sort the dash lamps later. 

IMG_20201104_144845.jpg

3 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Heck, that's impressive!

They take these little ones to rural properties in twisty little narrow roads, many of which are private and the residents won't fill in the potholes or ruts. 6 years of going where a Unimog would struggle has taken its toll

You know you have too many cars when....

I knew the green 2CVs MoT was up tomorrow, so I thought I’d better book it in. I’m pretty sure it’ll be a fail on corrosion, but it’ll be good to see how bad a fail... and you never know it might just sneak through... (seatbelt mounts do need welding though...)

Thought “at least I’ve got a couple of months before the other one needs an MoT so I’ll have at least one Deux Chevaux on the road... hmmm when does it expire again... 

B070BD81-B01B-42D0-BF12-FA82CB511F27.jpeg

Oh shit it was Sunday... 

Both now booked in for next Saturday... brave or stupid?