The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Civic has found a new owner already. A good friend on here is having a spot of car trouble and hopefully this reliable Honda wagon will solve that. Especially with upcoming lockdown meaning car buying will be tricky. Sorry to any of those that expressed an interest already.

Did an oil change on it earlier. Really easy on these diesels as the oil filter is up top. So I just sucked the oil out of the dipstick.
6b0612531e56bd569690ea038b21afea.jpg

If you look closely at the filter area you'll see a little channel cast into the housing so that any spilt oil is channeled... Well I don't know where actually, but I thought it a lovely design touch when servicing my Accord.

Can't help on the belt, I'd be inspecting the pulleys before fitting a new one though.

Today I delivered a car with a dodgy gearbox to a shiter, who then gave me a lift to the house of another shiter from whence I collected another car with a dodgy gearbox.

First leg of the triangular journey was in this:

DSC_1327.thumb.JPG.06f67b2e3c816e96a8a41fe3562bb42b.JPG

I bought it a couple of months ago as I'd fancied a go in one for a while (I like the styling of them) and it was dirt cheap.  It's a bog basic 1.2 8 valve with a temperamental third gear, but other than that and a slight exhaust blow it drives fine.  Thing is, the Felicia has since joined the fleet, and that does much the same thing as the Punto but is more interesting (to me anyway).  So I sold the Punto to BeEP.

BeEP then ran me in his newly-mended 206 down to Borniteidentity's to pick up this:

DSC_1347.thumb.JPG.4756fe6552d540db916fa03faff2575b.JPG

I was slightly apprehensive about the run home as it broke down last time Bornite used it, but it got me home fine.  Bornite suggested it might have been the coolant sensor causing the issue before as the level was a bit low - whatever the cause was the engine kept on running and there was no sign of the EML.

The gearbox definitely needs attention though - it was working fine to start with but by the time I got to the first roundabout on the A11 it was stuck in third.  It would change between third and overdrive but first and second were nowhere to be seen.  Most of the time this wasn't a problem - it has quite a flexible torque converter and a massively torquey engine so anything above about 20 mph it pulls absolutely fine.  The only time it caused an issue was pulling out onto busy roundabouts.

I didn't fiddle with it too much on the run back to mine as my primary concern was getting it home without FTPing, but once I'd got back to mine and it'd cooled down a bit I took it for a drive round the local roads to see what was what.  It turns out that first gear is still working fine and can be selected manually, but second appears to be MIA at the moment - with the gear lever in 2 the 'box is still in third.  I'm going to give it a fluid change and see if that helps - everything on the van is pretty heavy duty (it's the smallest vehicle I've ever owned with 6-stud wheels) so I doubt the 'box is particularly complicated, although I still don't really understand how autoboxes work.

It's quite usable as it is though - 90% of the time it's OK pulling away in third, and if I do need to get off the line quickly I can select first manually.  It's a great old thing to drive other than that - sat nice and high in a big comfy chair, loads of space, surprisingly decent turning circle and on the dual carriageway it goes like f*ck.  So far I rather like it.

30 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

A lot of temporary drivers at Parcelforce at the moment for the Christmas rush, so I suspect it won't have been your usual driver yesterday.

True. Anyway, if I was meant to assume that it would come today then it worked 😊

So, air filter and spark plugs to go in when I get a few minutes.

43 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Let's hope it's just some soggy item of clothing or something...

Nope, it's definitely the car that's damp rather than anything in it.  Hopefully something simple light a tail light seal.  Xantias aren't usually had for water ingress so there are only a few likely suspects.  At least being a series 1 car it doesn't have the roof mounted rear window washer.  They liked to leak for fun and would make the headlining disintegrate.

18 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I’m sure there was a thread for this but I can’t seem to find it now... but my haven’t you grown! 

991E9B4A-D045-4BE3-BA5D-AF8966852A8D.jpeg

I think the original 1 series track and wheelbase was but a bawhair off an E30.. and you can get a 1 series MK1 with a 3.0...

That modrin wan can GTF though

1 hour ago, loserone said:

I would have a 130i.  Except for the small matter of all those previous owners

I remember reading (I think in the blue forum) someone commenting about how such and such a car was an M3 killer (probably the S80R), the response was that the only things that kill M3s are M3 drivers and the rain.

It tickled me.

3 hours ago, Tim_E said:

I remember reading (I think in the blue forum) someone commenting about how such and such a car was an M3 killer (probably the S80R), the response was that the only things that kill M3s are M3 drivers and the rain.

It tickled me.

The 135i and 145i are a bit notorious for biting hard too. Which explains why so many Cat S examples end up for sale.