The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

23 hours ago, reb said:

Today the 205 got put back on its wheels for the first time in well over a year in preparation for getting shifted to my unit. The HDI plan is in the bin because various goings on this year have led to everything related to it being thrown into complete disarray, I'm sure it's still doable but I'm not the one to do it. The plan now is to put it back to standard-ish and get it as well sorted as I can while I have the time to work on it. There will still be turbots involved, but in a more factory intended manner.

MrsREB will be arriving in just over a month, we'll see how long her promise to keep me company at the unit lasts when she realises how bastarding cold it is up there!

Nice to see you posting again Reb, hope you’re doing well. Sorry to hear the HDi project isn’t going ahead now but looking forward to some 205 updates

Yesterday was birthday no. 42 for me. Had a day at the Amberley Working Museum with wifeypants and my parents. Sadly bad weather and early light fade meant I didn’t get to see the whole place (mainly the trains, buses and cars) but it’s full of every day household and industrial shite and it would be a great place for shiters to meet up post new new lockdown.

B2861327-9DA8-406A-B946-064B3D002E1C.jpeg

11C030E3-DBAC-4940-A361-2AFA9BFE9557.jpeg

9953AE43-ED3B-4E2F-B33B-58A96B71F979.jpeg

AF41853E-9F52-4133-A551-42162A127B00.jpeg

E072CECC-5D3D-4024-97E2-05C6CB4864DE.jpeg

AD4A46D4-3F33-4E9E-9C72-16C9D92798EB.jpeg

C5A5671D-602A-4ABD-A110-51040A29B026.jpeg

CB76B0EB-A0BD-46C2-8129-B48077495182.jpeg

CC775557-AB62-41E8-A69D-5FE0A7E41D7D.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Wtf is the last pic? A teleportation chamber? Looks mega, definitely a good location for a meetup

6 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

ARP warden's post I believe.

6 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Perhaps a space age thunderbox?  Another vote for that as a meet up place here.  One day.  

“Portable” air raid shelter. Possibly used for ARP.

It really is a good place and will happily organise a day there. It’s about £13 an adult but will see if they do a discount for a considerable group.

On 10/28/2020 at 2:34 PM, SiC said:

Looks like I've bought my old Civic back. 😂

In-laws who I gave it to are buying a 3yr old C200d. Merc dealer offered £feckall and no doubt will scrap it as not worth the hassle to auction. 

Done 156k at last MOT, so probably almost 160k ish now. 2 owners before me (Honda employee then someone else), I bought in around 2013ish. Written off as a Cat N (non structural) in 2018 when someone went into the back of me at traffic lights (post in this news24 thread at the time). I didn't know I was going to get it back so bought something else. Got it back, repaired it (crash beam and adjusted boot catch) and gave it to the in-laws. FSH when I owned it (every year) and it had the clutch done at around 97k. In-laws had it oil+filter changed service and MOTd, so should still be alright. Only fault that I know of is Aircon dead (pipe went soft this year, suspect stone in condenser usually on these) and mix of tyres (annoys me that as there was Michelins on when I gave it). I'd fully trust it to go anywhere and I've been everywhere with it - from Scotland to South of France. 

Not sure how much as it depends what it's going to cost for me to get it back here. Going to be £LOLcheap for a fully working car though as don't really need it and it stresses my wife out when we have too many cars on the drive. 

I'll do a proper for sale thread once I get it back. 

Here is an old picture of it and the first I came to when looking for one. Was a holiday cottage in West Wales somewhere and we got a sudden snow downpour.

20180227_093856.thumb.jpg.7770c93da993546c65164ab2c2464467.jpg

It's landed. 

PXL_20201031_222232407.thumb.jpg.a689cbda11c63c87846c52b2bb79751c.jpg

The drive back reminded me how good a car it is. Perky and lively diesel engine, decent fuel economy (got 50mpg on the motorway run back), comfortable and practical. A sensible person would be selling the Clio 172 and keeping this as a main driver.

Needs a bloody good clean though. Also will give the headlight plastic a polish to neaten them back up. 

Did a quick check over. I know it was serviced last year but as a family friend mechanic does it, no receipts. I thought it was done this year too, but the oil is about on a 1/4. From my experience on this car, it gets through a litre of oil in 6k miles and so it's probably due a service. I'll get an oil and filter from Euros and get that done before I sell it. Honda put the oil filter housing up top, so if I suck the oil out the dipstick holder, I'll not even need to go underneath. 

Tyres on the front are Pirelli and the rear is one Michelin and another GT Radial. Guess which tyre my FiL put on it. :D

7 hours ago, SiC said:

It's landed. 

PXL_20201031_222232407.thumb.jpg.a689cbda11c63c87846c52b2bb79751c.jpg

The drive back reminded me how good a car it is. Perky and lively diesel engine, decent fuel economy (got 50mpg on the motorway run back), comfortable and practical. A sensible person would be selling the Clio 172 and keeping this as a main driver.

Needs a bloody good clean though. Also will give the headlight plastic a polish to neaten them back up. 

Did a quick check over. I know it was serviced last year but as a family friend mechanic does it, no receipts. I thought it was done this year too, but the oil is about on a 1/4. From my experience on this car, it gets through a litre of oil in 6k miles and so it's probably due a service. I'll get an oil and filter from Euros and get that done before I sell it. Honda put the oil filter housing up top, so if I suck the oil out the dipstick holder, I'll not even need to go underneath. 

Tyres on the front are Pirelli and the rear is one Michelin and another GT Radial. Guess which tyre my FiL put on it. :D

@Frazthis would do you nicely...

Fascinating history. Was the owners car for 10 years, kept by the Ex  when they split. 

He found it again, on the pile in the breakers ( hence the various damaged panels) & persuaded them to take it down and repatriate it. 
He then stored it in his barn ( with approx 70 Skoda!) until Skoda space trumped his old Yugo- which he didn’t have the knowledge to sort. 
We chatted a while, I sent pics of my 511 & 313 ( bought here, off an ex member in Plymouth) . I proposed a light resto, with Fiat 128 type mods & a Uno turbo lump ( I have already) & he agreed. 

We collected it a few days back, from darkest Canterbury. Aside from several dented panels it looks sound enough, clearly been loved in the past. 
Changed the wheels for ones with pumped up, unshredded tyres, freed the brakes, loosened the steering ( still tight) , strapped the loose bits, had a brief attempt at firing ( no spark)  then hauled it west.

It’s  going to sit, under cover, till the Spring when the young bus can use it as a learning exercise.  Could be fun. 

FEA900F9-E9C6-4A0A-98D9-F026A914EB47.thumb.jpeg.6b176c2a1bc983c00ceef67f7660f120.jpeg

16 hours ago, Stanky said:

Wtf is the last pic? A teleportation chamber? Looks mega, definitely a good location for a meetup

I had it in my mind that this was the museum near Singleton on the way up the hill to Goodwood racecourse, but a quick check says no. That’s the Weald and downland place. Is this the one near arundel?

While wandering round the block with the mutt while it was merely drizzling rather than the torrential rain it's been for ever (since Noah was a lad actually) I pondered on the fact the car is going for new brakes, fluid, service and MOT tomorrow and therefore I should check if things still work. This is a pretty pointless excercise as all modern(ish) cars tell you with lights and beeps and warnings of dire calimity if some essential like a sidelight bulb has dared to go out.

But, I worry. In fact, it is often all I do! So  once back with das Moot, having dried his head, legs and corpulence I wondered outside (with the rain now back to more persitant levels) and checked all the lights, the wipers/washers, the horn, etc. This was, without a doubt the most activity I have indulged in for the past several days and it took me, even with taking things at a steady pace, about 90 seconds,

Of course, I forgot to check if the hazards work, I am now debating with myself if it's needed to go back outside in the now torrential rain and press that button. I think, on balance, I'll risk it. I like to live dangerously :) 

Civic has found a new owner already. A good friend on here is having a spot of car trouble and hopefully this reliable Honda wagon will solve that. Especially with upcoming lockdown meaning car buying will be tricky. Sorry to any of those that expressed an interest already.

Did an oil change on it earlier. Really easy on these diesels as the oil filter is up top. So I just sucked the oil out of the dipstick.
6b0612531e56bd569690ea038b21afea.jpg
8351d6b32fbd2771ddd5697c836ae08c.jpg

I have a genuine Honda oil filter tool for undoing this and it makes it a lot easier. Filter and 3 o-rings are all that are needed. These engines do require 5.9l of oil though.
840f6dac5cbbd81df7d1b0d6c5ab2f1c.jpg

Noticed the belt has done this. It's original to the car and could do with replacing, but I've never seen a belt do this before. Anyone any ideas?
When I've seen belts worn, it tends to be cracks or splitting. This is weird how it's worn down on one side.
I wonder if someone has split oil on it previously?
6e9e479d5ae77a1167744e8afbd67dfd.jpg

Got a new belt to go on, but crap weather means I've not had a chance to do it today. Dolomite in the garage means I don't have a roof spare to work on a car.
1a343aff55e6909c1d6667a59d3e41d2.jpg

Parcel Force attempted to deliver spark plugs and air filter today. It's Sunday! I was out walking.

They would normally leave the stuff in the doorway, instead I got an email saying they'd been and left a note telling me what to do; there is no note.

Crikey Parcel Force, is it that difficult? Are you going to come back tomorrow? Do I have to contact you explaining that I've got no note?

Just leave it in the doorway like every other goddam delivery service!!

Ahem, rant over. I have ordered, and nearly got, plugs and air filter for Mondeo.

Booked in for a wheel bearing, garage say I need to clean out interior and leave no masks in the car, drop the keys through a box at the back entrance of the garage. The other garages in town are not being that particular, but I guess it does need a good clean. It's not had one since we bought it and it's minging.