The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Fixed the heater blower on the 206 by replacing the failed resistor. Thanks to YouTube I discovered you can access it by ramming your hand up under the dash / footwell with the setting on recirculated air. I still have flesh on 2 knuckles of my right hand. I’m a bit confused as it seems the blower motor only operates with engine running rather than the with the ignition set to power the accessories. Hence initially I kept checking to find it wasn’t working.

This did not go down well with my head in the footwell and phone light in my mouth in the dark and drizzle.

Anyway it’s fixed. This pic highlights the pure noughties bling of whatever colour it is (urine in daylight) and the nasty parking / crash damage.  Park near me if you feel lucky.

1AE91623-7034-4F68-8239-7406542160FD.thumb.jpeg.339d552af48ef1f12db5ba3a14bd558f.jpeg

2 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

also much more £££ - i would have one if you could get one for under a grand in fairly good nick like the 206's 

I got mine for a grand! Then spent £860 on parts...(could have done it cheaper if I wanted)

But then they're worth a bit still and going up. 

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

I got mine for a grand! Then spent £860 on parts...(could have done it cheaper if I wanted)

But then they're worth a bit still and going up. 

for arguments sake  - lets say you can get a GTI180 for £1200 for a reasonable example - whereas for a reasonable 172 your looking at 2k now

the 180 will be the same 0-60 and will probably have a simmlar lap time - 

why would you go for the clio out of interest for almost double? Regardless of future value. 

23 hours ago, Christine said:

My 20 year old T4  has been resting for  the last 11 months . I bought it brand new , but couldn't part with it , when i took it off the road last year , at 193 k the  original clutch was slipping badly , and cambelt @ 10 years +  100k old..   Several knockers on the door wanting to buy it over the last year ..but glad i kept it now 

Today it was re mot'd .  Taxed,  insured and back on the road !  New clutch and cambelt , full exhaust and cat  ,calipers and pads all round , brake cables , 4 new tyres ,  cv gaiters, battery , front shocks ... and it failed on the foglight bulb .. which did work last night ok!     I'm happy , cost a few quid , but  i've missed it .. feels just like the day i first bought it :-P

Reading this put such a big smile on my face. That's superb, well done😊.

I have had a smile on my face all day too !  Forgotten about the dreadfully   long  reach for the gearstick  and handbrake ... the terrible  gearbox ratios .. the squealing power steering  on full lock ...the understeer ..   but i love it ..First brand new motor i had .. sentimental fool i am

18 minutes ago, Christine said:

I have had a smile on my face all day too !  Forgotten about the dreadfully   long  reach for the gearstick  and handbrake ... the terrible  gearbox ratios .. the squealing power steering  on full lock ...the understeer ..   but i love it ..First brand new motor i had .. sentimental fool i am

You know you can get gear lever extensions?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123605253648

53 minutes ago, jamiechod said:
for arguments sake  - lets say you can get a GTI180 for £1200 for a reasonable example - whereas for a reasonable 172 your looking at 2k now
the 180 will be the same 0-60 and will probably have a simmlar lap time - 
why would you go for the clio out of interest for almost double? Regardless of future value. 

Similar lap times? Reviews of the time consistently put the Clio as faster on the track! The pug, despite being popular on their standard cooking models, was never as good as the Clio. The Pug is softer and less sorted suspension, even wobbler gear change and not as zippy as the Clio. This is why the Clio II RS sold in much bigger numbers than the 206 GTi. 

It's nearest compared rival for handling and performance was the Civic Type-R, but that was a bigger car and a different class segment. Only other rival that tried to come close was the Fiesta ST, but the Clio was still more powerful and quicker on the track.

So yes they're more expensive but that's because they're better.

I'm not saying this because I prefer the Clio either. I actually like look of the 206 just as much - infact I wanted a 206 as my first car over the Clio! Just between a 1*2 and a 206 GTi, it's no contest sorry.

£2k for a Clio maybe twice the 206, but it's still peanuts for what they are. That's for a classic 00s hot hatch with big engine and quickly gaining cult status ...because they're pretty good!

Hmm. I've driven a few 172/182s n never got out of them and thought 'wow, I really need one of these' I enjoy the 206 gti for what it is, a shit French shopping trolley for a grand. Something I l jump out of my mundane 4 series, and think, shit this a laugh! I don't think personally I'd gain anything from spending twice as much on a clio, as you know I've had a couple of FN2 type Rs, they would be my 2-3k hot hatch choice every time. 

13 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

Hmm. I've driven a few 172/182s n never got out of them and thought 'wow, I really need one of these' I enjoy the 206 gti for what it is, a shit French shopping trolley for a grand. Something I l jump out of my mundane 4 series, and think, shit this a laugh! I don't think personally I'd gain anything from spending twice as much on a clio, as you know I've had a couple of FN2 type Rs, they would be my 2-3k hot hatch choice every time. 

Then maybe the 1*2 just isn't for you. Everyone's tastes are different. 

They maybe twice the price but I say that they're still cheap. The different is probably, what, at least half a years depreciation on your 4-series?

I'm a BIG Honda fan. I've had the 7th gen as a 3dr diesel and plenty of them petrol 1.6 curtsy cars in both 3dr and 5dr flavours, but never a CTR. Likewise the 8th gen I've had as a 5dr diesel (which is what I'm getting back soon). Did seriously consider a CTR 8th gen but the 3dr aspect is annoying when it was a main car. I think I'll have to get one sometime before they're unaffordable too. Would be nice to have the pair together as well. As they're local runabout toys, it doesn't really matter about practicality. We have my wifes A4 Avant for that. 

The bigger problem with the 206 GTi is that there is even less about of them than the Clio. Especially as a 180bhp. I personally wouldn't entertain the more plentiful 138bhp example. Three 206 GTi on Autotrader and 6? on eBay. All 138bhps. 

Incidentally after having mine, I struggle to justify the 6k+ for a Trophy. It may be better handling, but they're still the same cheap shitty tin boxes at the end of the day. 

Just now, SiC said:

Then maybe the 1*2 just isn't for you. 

They maybe twice the price but they're still cheap. The different is probably, what, at least half a years depreciation on your 4-series?

I'm a BIG Honda fan. I've had the 7th gen as a 3dr diesel and plenty of them petrol 1.6 curtsy cars in both 3dr and 5dr flavours, but never a CTR. Likewise the 8th gen I've had as a 5dr diesel (which is what I'm getting back soon). Did seriously consider a CTR 8th gen but the 3dr aspect is annoying when it was a main car. I think I'll have to get one sometime before they're unaffordable too. Would be nice to have the pair together as well. As they're local runabout toys, it doesn't really matter about practicality. We have my wifes A4 Avant for that. 

The bigger problem with the 206 GTi is that there is even less about of them than the Clio. Especially as a 180bhp. I personally wouldn't entertain the more plentiful 138bhp example. 

yeah probably, you should try a CTR FN2 at some point, both of ones i had were high mileage but really tight still! both of which were circa £2k 

have you driven a 138 gti? They arent as bad as you might think. 

8 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

yeah probably, you should try a CTR FN2 at some point, both of ones i had were high mileage but really tight still! both of which were circa £2k 

have you driven a 138 gti? They arent as bad as you might think. 

I always felt it unfair the ribbing the 8th gen got. The boot and folding seats is way more practical and realistically there is no difference on the road with the suspension setup between it and the 7th gen. Even the lap times I believe were similar too. Interiors are a big step up too. Crucially they had useful stuff like Cruise and trip computers that the 7th gen didn't get at all. 

It was years ago when I drove a friends partners 138 and I owned a RX8 at the time, so that was my (unfair) baseline I would have compared it against. I'm sure they're decent cars and like I said, I really like the styling of the 206. But given the choice between the two and I had to pick one, it would be the Clio everytime. Even if it was slightly more expensive. 

But yes as I added to my previous post, I won't be wanting to spend £5k+ for a tired Clio 1*2 if they go the way of the 205 GTi. They're fun little boxes to blast around in, but they are still a bit crappy. Also why I struggle to justify replacing mine with a 182 right now (which I'd prefer) as, while mine is pretty much sorted, it is slightly scuffed+scratched and high miles. Because of that, I can bomb around backlanes and such without too much worry or guilt if I scratch it further. 

On another point, I think I have to admit defeat, you said that last tt my wife had must have been fucked as I really didn't rate it to drive, begrudgingly I have to agree, as she has another almost identical one now which has 30 000 more miles and is like a different car to drive, very Golf gti like in its character. The greeny silver one was a bin 😂

Had a father-son tool handover today. Not all of them, mostly stuff that he will almost certainly ever touch again. 
2d2e679f28d5f64c194b44574b71992d.jpg

A few highlights.

Some punches
3d8f389e4737e5ead66d5c385322b08c.jpg

Rpm gauge. Not sure I'd want to put my hand close enough to a crank pulley to use it.
cd7a4047c173d1c17a5cf1aeca2e09d5.jpg

Air flow gauge
5362495169f13f0bb5b91318ee8571d6.jpg

Dwell, rpm, etc gauge
ea16a7259cb6aa6ddab157b198f25475.jpg

Apparently this was a lot of money back in the day. It's a rather large old meter.
522b8ae52445ff77e5da69ececf994ad.jpg
a1a38b518ee88fe97c5226b0f1e85e0f.jpg

We may have missed the expiry for the MOT on the wife's commuter shite Ibiza. It was booked in for a general look over and service anyway, fortunately the garage said they can MOT it too...

So far they have said it's chewed through a set of rear calipers and started at the drums.

Fingers crossed for the rest being ok!

Wonder if there’s any false jeopardy in the “saved from the Scrapheap” tagline.

Im sure whoever “found” them immediately thought more of selling them to the classic fraternity, and it cannot be a literal term as last time I looked you couldn’t weigh in ash / whatever wood makes up a body buck.

Good publicity, whatever the motivation and facts of the situation.