The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 minutes ago, HMC said:

^ what even is that number 8 car? Looks 50’s competition (up to the wires being chromed at least)

Not sure on the model, but the script on the rear panel was Allard. Sounded good!

Ah, it's new!

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/25/englands-allard-rises-from-62-year-slumber-to-make-continuation-cars/#slide-2266548

The Merc decided that because I haven't used it recently it should flatten it's battery just enough not to start.

Cleverly ignoring it for a few days, the alarm started going off and it won't open off the fob. Used the slide out key to open door, but it doesn't open the boot so can't get to the battery. Google says there's a jump point on the passenger floor.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:21 PM, Coprolalia said:

@phil_lihp, I have a £30 Chinese pattern secondary air pump arriving next week. Will let you know if it's any good. I heard replacing the rivets was a bit of an arse as it can all warp and expand.

Apparently the resistor mod works, but you have to map out the EML as otherwise it throws the P0441 (or summat) code for secondary air flow out of range.

Raising this post from the deep past, how did you get on with your cheapo pump?  

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Haha yes. You won't unsee 182 exhausts when you're behind them in traffic now. 

My exhaust mounts have had an "interesting" repair done to them by a previous owner.

IMG_20200722_132810.thumb.jpg.6e599efaf76e5675e129768a5b9f39c5.jpg

IMG_20200722_132822.thumb.jpg.fcd6fa496ba4fd26380138dbbced9caf.jpg

Looking at those very crusty mounting studs, it looks like whoever changed the exhaust last decided to fuck off changing that and bodge the mount. Unfortunately the car is quite boomy at 4k+ rpm and I think that's partly down to this bodge. I dare not remove that mount though given someone else thought that too.

Probably send it to my local garage to deal with. Will be a million times easier for them on a lift and with a blue wrench to hand. 

I did this with sikafix, on a Bini.  It worked.  

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

The Merc decided that because I haven't used it recently it should flatten it's battery just enough not to start.

Cleverly ignoring it for a few days, the alarm started going off and it won't open off the fob. Used the slide out key to open door, but it doesn't open the boot so can't get to the battery. Google says there's a jump point on the passenger floor.

I've got £500 here, I'll take it away and you'll never have to worry about it again ;) 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

I have considered pushing out the silicon sealant and fill it with tigersil. 

Have a search on the forums. I cut the rubbers out of the mounts on my 182 and replaced it with a Polyflex exhaust mount for a chevette or something similar. A bit of cutting was involved to make it fit but it's a common mod. 

More fun with warning lights over the weekend.  I plugged the laptop into the C2 and it told me that the issue which was causing the airbag light to come on was a short to ground in the passenger side pretensioner.  Which was odd given that it was moving the driver's seat that caused the light to come on in the first place.  I decided to disregard the fault code and continue buggering about with the wiring under the seat (of which there is quite a lot as there are side airbags and seat heaters as well) until I found the multiplug which, when jiggled, made the light go out.  This was fine until I put the seat back in its normal position which promptly brought the light back on again.  I have fixed* this by detaching the multiplug from its clip under the seat cushion, so it is free to float around and the wiring isn't getting tugged on by the seat being all the way back.  So far this seems to be working.  I'm not worried about the plug being caught by any back seat passengers as nobody over the age of 3 will fit in the back of a C2 anyway.

The "three amigos" on the Freelander also came back, but this time I was able to persuade them to go out without triggering the ABS, so that's an improvement.  I'd imagine that with regular use the problem would probably disappear - it was never an issue when I was using the thing regularly - but I do so few miles now that it's a struggle to use any of the fleet on a regular basis.

The recent weather has brought to light the slightly distressing situation that only two of my vehicles (the Punto and the Mondeo) are completely watertight - and even those mist up somewhat when it's very damp.  The Toyota has been letting water into the nearside rear footwell, and the C2 has a major leak into the offside rear footwell.  The Renault 6 is letting water in through the front somewhere - probably via the scuttle or the door seals.  The Volvo is dry inside at the moment but only because it has a tarpaulin over it.  

The Freelander and Felicia aren't actually wet anywhere, but they're definitely damp inside.  The Felicia appears to be leaking very slightly round the sunroof - I haven't found any obvious leaks on the Freelander although the sunroof could be the culprit there as well.  The Rover 75 actually doesn't seem damp inside but there was water sat on top of the sat nav drive in the side compartment of the boot - I have no idea where it has come from as the rest of the compartment is bone dry...

I'm baffled by the C2 as that doesn't have a sunroof and the rear windows are fixed.  It can't be coming in via the tailgate as the boot floor is dry, so it can only be the door seals, but those look OK.  I've sprayed some seal rejuvenating spray round them anyway to see if that helps.  Otherwise I'm going to have to wait for the next rainstorm and go out to sit in the car with a torch to see if I can trace the source of water ingress.  I have a feeling the Toyota's problem was caused by the rear window, which stopped working a couple of years back and was perhaps not fully closed.  I've taken the door card off for now and wedged the window up from underneath - I also sprayed the seal shizzle round the doors as it can't hurt.

I've also replaced one of the heater panel bulbs in the C2.  I hate not being able to see the heater controls, especially at this time of year when you need the heater and it's dark most of the time.  Driving so many different cars I struggle to remember by touch which control does what on which car.  The plan was to replace both bulbs, but I tried to be clever and fit the new bulbs without removing the switch panel, and I dropped one of the fiddly bastard things down the back of the dashboard, no doubt never to be seen again.  Still, the one bulb I did manage to fit just about illuminates the whole panel, so I can live with that.  Next weekend I've got to attempt the same job on the Punto...

2 hours ago, dome said:

I've got £500 here, I'll take it away and you'll never have to worry about it again ;) 

The way it's going, you might get a private message.

It opened last night with the little pull out key, so locked it again to have a go at it tonight. Guess what? Fucker doesn't want to open now 🙄

Boss is off with kidney stones so no work for me today.
Dad's been replacing the timing chain on mum's Bini as the guides were cracking (it's only on 35k but 12 years old), unfortunately one of his teeth decided to do an impression of this at the same time so it was off to the dentist for him. 
If I'm not working I'll probably be helping finish the Bini - I need it out of the garage as I'm putting a clutch in the Civic, the pedal has no feel and the bite's off the end of the travel. Going to change the slave cylinder too. 

Yesterday was a fairly interesting, if not tad annoying of a day. I picked my old Zafira as part of a deal I've being trying to orchestrate (but I still have the Peugeot).

I had to travel to Woverhampton which meant train travel. No biggie, I've done this kind of thing before extensively. Unfortunately but also slightly amusingly, our train had lost power in one of the carriages' engines and it had also started to lightly rain which meant that that the train couldn't get enough traction between Cradley Heath, Oldhill and the Hawthorns. We were mostly travelling at walking pace as the train wheel span trying to get the very slight incline between the 2 stations.

Upon getting to the Zafira, the seller, a friend of mine offered aome petrol to put into the Zafira as the needle was barely registering. I didn't fancy using my last £5er up so I tried to hatch a plan on getting this jungle juice into the Zafiras petrol tank without a funnel. My mate suggested siphoning, which I did and ended up getting a mouthful of petrol. Thankfully I didn't gulp any down otherwise I'd probably be subjected to emissions testing. I am certainly about as economical as a 6.0 Jaguar.