The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

My heap earning me a living carrying tower scaffolding to a warehouse to change dead strip light tubes.

DSC00934.JPG

You any good on slate roof strips/ felt/re-slate?  They don't use felt now. Need a scaffolding company for mine probably,  gable is high.

Stone terrace, end house. Not been done for hundreds of years, but all the others have. 

5 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

i thought that the 618 and the 623 both ones with Honda engines?

and  that 620 used a T16 and the diesel was the L-series derived from the perkins prima, both of them been Rovers own engines, with a Rover gearbox.

the honda engine is the wrong way round, Rovers, and just about everyone else's end-on transverse engine, sits on the left hand side of the engine bay, Honda at that time, for some reason best known to themselves were the other way round, with the engine sitting on the right hand side of the engine bay.

or did i dream it?

Correct on all counts. 

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I thought it was only the auto 620s that used the Honda engine?

Nope - all petrol 600s had Honda engines and gearboxes with the exception of the 620 ti. Defo Ronda.

I think @Ghosty will correct me if I'm wrong, but I reckon you're thinking of the 400 series, where autos were Honda and manuals K series.

10 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Nope - all petrol 600s had Honda engines and gearboxes with the exception of the 620 ti. Defo Ronda.

I think @Ghosty will correct me if I'm wrong, but I reckon you're thinking of the 400 series, where autos were Honda and manuals K series.

The nasp 620 was a Honda F-Series. 
I don't know much about HHRs (I'm more interested in Civics and R8s) but I think you're right in the case of the very early models, they carried over the engine and autobox from the R8. It took until about 1997 for Rover to work out how to mate an autobox to a K-Series for an in-house automatic option (I think this happened when the Honda partnership ended), which they did using a 1.6 K-Series and a CVT. The 'bubble dash' 2/400 (Tourer, Cab and Tomcat that lasted longer than the hatch/saloon, overlapping into HHR production) also had K-Series engines with CVTs for the auto option, whereas the earlier R8 dashed models from before the HHR's arrival were available with Honda engines and gearboxes. 

The scenic left work today on the next stage to its new home. Battery connected and it started first time.  As @Wingz123commented , it is very quiet especially given its near 170,000miles. Given that the only other car movement outside was that white Lamborghini  I know which will be cheaper and more reliable!

today i have had to drag me dad round to sort out the jobbie pipe in the back yard.

i had wanted kerry to put a couple of brackets on the soil pipe to stop it bouncing about, as there were none fitted.

there had been some at some point, but these had long since rotted through.

brackets bought, but kerry starts twittering on about it been a bodge and something more permanent is required.

so the existing jobbie pipe got pulled out, and then we find that in spite of having some shiny new lengths of pipe and a selection of fittings, we didn't have, of all things a saw.....

so i put it all back together, and this morning, it had come to bits, resulting in jobbies in the yard.

oh for fucks sake!

one panicked call to me dad, and a couple of hours doing the most horrible job i've ever done, and the pipe is now replaced, new and shiny and not leaking and concreted in., though its not shown in those pictures.

1898269771_2020-10-1914_14_59.thumb.jpg.825675cbd02f4b2a01341e278db3f878.jpg

1120768134_2020-10-1914_15_12.thumb.jpg.522c6c83ca09135c96458c525dd2c144.jpg

and i have had words with kerry, next time i want a couple of brackets, well i'll get a couple of brackets (or call a plumber)

the worse thing though, is that my dad isn't the man he was, i mean he is still as fit as ever, but he is getting old and at 72 its starting to show.

and that is very fucking shit.

6 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

Interesting variety of vehicles on the Silver's drive yesterday:

20201019_142613.thumb.jpg.6f31a3c28b02317a1c9651570cbc0c8e.jpg

Then about 10 minutes later:

20201019_143729.thumb.jpg.6da85791e60b1a11b2f5d36076165bfb.jpg

An unexpected Fiat Panda no (A)less(i).

you know, once upon a time, the Maxi was a pretty big car..... and that one looks glorious.

a Maxi isn't never ever going to be a looker, but as i get older, the more and more attractive they look.

hmmmmmmmm, Maxi.........

8 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

Interesting variety of vehicles on the Silver's drive yesterday:

20201019_142613.thumb.jpg.6f31a3c28b02317a1c9651570cbc0c8e.jpg

Love this shot :) its like a disabled persons vehicular progression throughout life

Gets issued a Model 70 by the Ministry when he turns 16 in 1973, then in 1978 he gets a new maxi via the recently introduced motability scheme, then after a long successful  career retires treating himself to a new Mondeo Ghia in 1993  

Yesterday I had a bad headache at work about an hour after I arrived, so went back to the car to take a couple of paracetamol. On arrival I realised I'd caught it doing the elusive leaking when cooling down. Seems to be one of the hoses coming off the temperature sensor housing, possibly owing to the notch in the housing... Chucking it down today so stuff going to sort it now, but progress! 

IMG_20201020_153457.jpg