The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

30 minutes ago, HMC said:

And that man is @RobT for both ownership of a mk2 gti and ESP for interior noises.

LoLz!

Oak green big bumpered 3 door.  The most unreliable car I've ever owned.  But I was also fussy in those days and wanted it perfect.  Nowadays I'll drive any old shit.

That's the mg6 dropped off for its mot. It's only done 4000 miles since the last test, but that was done by stoneacre mg before I bought it, so Christ only knows what will happen.

If you're anywhere near Oldham and hear a strange, high pitched wailing in the next hour or so, it's just my wallet howling in misery!

3 hours ago, LabRat said:

Failed on the front drivers wishbone- the one part that you need to sell a kidney for. 

£219 for the wishbone and 3 hours labour because the front subframe has to be dropped to get to the mounts. Fucksticks.

I had that on the merc, and now the other side needs doing- it was £900 at the main dealer. All because the little ball joint is integral to the arm on the 320.

Anyone fancy taking this on? It's the ex-clayts and Moog Rover 820.  Ideally needs two new rear calipers in order to sort out the lack of handbrake.  Or you could try a refurb of the current ones.  Other time and money commitments (or rather lack of both) means I'm struggling to justify the expense.  Best I can find is two separate eBay listings, totalling £138 for the pair.

I tried a session on them today, but bolts are seized and look very rusty, so I couldn't be arsed with a war on brakes.  Had enough of that with the Morris.  To add to the fun, the handbrake lever button has shrunk in on itself.  Must be the cold...

MoT is due 16th December.  Might need a thud from the rear looking at (could just be exhaust fouling) but apart from that 'should pass no problem m8' cliche applies. Lovely car overall.  If there's no interest I'll just pucker up and get it sorted.

£275 would be nice.  Cheers!

20200926_173536.thumb.jpg.bfa94022ab54b4dad84d487d81c6e794.jpg

20200926_173903.thumb.jpg.1fff246063839b64698da715009c8b82.jpg

OS offending caliper.  No pic of the other.

20201017_115547.thumb.jpg.0a6a4fa91182a191ddcb262d5d0299a5.jpg

14 minutes ago, egg said:

Plenty of pheasants getting rounded up this week on the school run, not sure if is a better end then being squashed by a car.

@richardmorris

A better fate would have not being bred in the first place for a load of braying Hooray Henry wankers to blast out of the sky. 

Called to a garage yesterday.  Even with his trade discount he said a headlight unit (singular) for a 2014 Passat was £350 odd, he said by the time the ballast was factored in and whatever else it needed, he had to quote £700-£750 to supply and fit. For one fucking head light.

10 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Called to a garage yesterday.  Even with his trade discount he said a headlight unit (singular) for a 2014 Passat was £350 odd, he said by the time the ballast was factored in and whatever else it needed, he had to quote £700-£750 to supply and fit. For one fucking head light.

You could literally buy a fucked one, remove headlights and frag the fucked one and still save money. 

Same as @320touring did with the saab

Picked up the roffle win golf from @bangernomics today who kindly met me halfway

thought I'd give it a quick run with the DA

ZMAMWvd.thumb.jpg.3e938ab66d5c2fabb86253cbca891cf6.jpgzTiI0Iv.thumb.jpg.0667f036dff1367d2ec9e5d29f2182eb.jpg

Looks pretty good, I still need to finish it with some dodo juice glaze and a ceramic coating but for its age it is in pretty good shape, I've ordered a replacement door lock to fix the lights on buzzer/interior lights and disabled the selective locking and interior monitoring so the alarm doesn't go off and the interior lights come on when you unlock it and reset the annoying 'service now' on the dash with VCDS, still undecided what to do with it to be honest.

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

A better fate would have not being bred in the first place for a load of braying Hooray Henry wankers to blast out of the sky. 

Poor bastards are bred because they are heavy and not-at-all agile in the sky with regards shotgunnery. Shotguns fire a spread vastly larger than the bird is at normal 'hunting' ranges.

They have hired goons to cause the birds to take off when they already have the guns ready and aimed.

They call it sport?

I call it fixed.

This primera is fun to drive. It’s also noisy. Partly exhaust and possibly front tyres. There’s a sort of droning coming from the front. It could I suppose be a wheel bearing but it doesn’t seem to noticeably worsen if you load one side of the other up in cornering. There’s also a slight shimmy at say 5mph from the front- I’m wondering if the old looking tyres are responsible for all of the above (flat spotted?) one make is a fulda  and the other a something something winter hawk 2. I’m not good with datestamps but I think the fulda is 2009.

This also just happened. PO optimistic with the old gaffa tape.

image.thumb.jpg.27c1be09fa2824951d8e0c3753023334.jpg

They also keep them in caged areas and feed them until they're all fat. Release them not long before the start of the season, so they're all a bit slow and heavy. Makes an easy shot. 

Of course as they're so fat, they don't/can't fly well. So yes there are "beaters" that go around hitting trees and making a lot of noise to scare them into the air. 

Certainly in the village that I grew up in, all the punters were city types. 

Two litre beater also!

Running fine but makes some interesting noises, inflated tyres to max load pressure and handles ok now. Who'd have thought?

I've always disliked ford cars, but the charms are appearing and it's growing on me. Even the jarring looks are softening; as a youngster I loved the first Mondeo for its looks but since then not at all. But now I see that it is slippery so it's practical in reducing drag. Caviat: I realise that all cars are designed with low drag in mind these days but some just look less draggy than others, even though it's just a subjective opinion or a clever design choice.

20201015_170206.jpg

Been up and down part of the M1 several times today (between 21 and 29) and was encouraged to see 'Keep left unless overtaking' signs on the overheads. It did seem to make a difference, but clearly there were still the same old dozy buggers clogging up the middle lane.

Having said that, traffic volume was well down on recent times, what with Leicester, Notts, parts of Derbyshire and Yorkshire now being on Tier 2 lockdown.

8 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

Been up and down part of the M1 several times today (between 21 and 29) and was encouraged to see 'Keep left unless overtaking' signs on the overheads. It did seem to make a difference, but clearly there were still the same old dozy buggers clogging up the middle lane.

Having said that, traffic volume was well down on recent times, what with Leicester, Notts, parts of Derbyshire and Yorkshire now being on Tier 2 lockdown.

I saw those today too! There were still plenty of cars sat in the middle lane when they didn’t need to be, but it seemed to be doing something. I’m sort of surprised that it’s not something I’ve seen before now

The biggest visual eyesore of the Mondeo is the bumper, which features Mk2 gaffer tape that breeds ferociously. I ordered a pattern part off ebay, £40 delivered I think it was. 

The old one has come off reasonably* easily by disintegration as soon as the tape was removed. That saves the worry about how to fit it in the bin! IMG_20201018_111357.thumb.jpg.8bce6b33ef964b95fb3e739d6b0a8f70.jpg

And the new one seems to fit... Only issue at present is the plastic captive nuts on the inner wing are spinning out so can't remove the 4no fixing bolts. Just going to go down to the garage to pick up persuasion tools...! IMG_20201018_113735.thumb.jpg.7e25ae429a12715f8c76a8b2228b3aed.jpg