The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

38 minutes ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Glad all is okay @egg

Fellow BX lickers, this is a low coolant light, yes? @vulgalour maybe? 

Topped it up, wasn't really low, but it still persists every now and then. Thinking dodgy sensor. I did replace a belt and do some other tinkering yesterday, maybe I knocked something... 

PXL_20201013_162648719.jpg

Yes, it did that to me shortly after the MoT.  The connector at the temperature sender on the driver's side of the radiator is the culprit, it's either the connector itself or the wiring is loose.  I put a cabletie around it which resolved it but I guess that's worked loose or something is wonky there again.  If you're clever with a soldering iron you might be able to rebuild it.  It could also have furred up again, because 80s Citroen.

27 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Yup, low coolant light.  It works based on measuring the resistance of the coolant, so it is possible for the sensors to go bananas if the coolant and/or the sensor get dirty.

Cheers. 

Just now, vulgalour said:

Yes, it did that to me shortly after the MoT.  The connector at the temperature sender on the driver's side of the radiator is the culprit, it's either the connector itself or the wiring is loose.  I put a cabletie around it which resolved it but I guess that's worked loose or something is wonky there again.  If you're clever with a soldering iron you might be able to rebuild it.  It could also have furred up again, because 80s Citroen.

Ah, that'll be it. Think I poked that cable tie when I was putting the head light back in. I'll give it an equal poke in the opposite direction, then. 

3 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Watch your fingers/knuckles when you do it, the alternator will bite you if it thinks it has half a chance.

You'll be happy to know I've secured the left hand indicator and am going to drill out a washer to secure the right hand one after I lost the last one on the motorway. 

Also replaced the Hydraulic pump belt as it was slipping, the pump was sliding about on its mount too as it was so loose. Drives much nicer now and the belt doesn't slip, old one looked very knackered. MOT soon. Fingers crossed. 

Today, out of curiosity rather than any real urge for terror or adventure, I clambered in to my '61 Reliant Regal to see if it would start.  It did, without difficulty. I had started it in September this year after charging the battery which had been untouched for months but noticed on that occasion that the battery went from fully discharged to fully charged in only 3 hours according to the charger indicator light.  I suspect that the old and little used battery is on the way out.  The last time I drove the car further than 5 metres was in January this year when the central heating engineers needed access to my garage to run a new gas line.  That journey was about 25 metres just to park it out of the way of plumbers' vans etc..   Today's drive of 300 metres in the cul-de-sac was therefore encouraging.  Everything still works and I did not have to get out to fix or push the thing.  No photos because as I drove back to my house a cold calling paving/double glazing/loft insulation character of dubious appearance hung around, gazing in to my garage as I parked back in there.  He was probably a nice chap and may even have wanted to express interest in the Reliant. I did not give him the benefit of the doubt and thus stayed in the car, engine running, looking busy*.   He eventually left.  Many years ago I was under a car cursing at the usual seized bolts when I was greeted by a young cold caller lad who actually got down on his knees to try to talk to me.  I was not amused.  I do not like being interrupted when cursing.

If I can borrow my son, I'll drive it a bit further one day using him for moral support (and he can push cars). 

Does this count as progress towards sorting out the garage?

IMG_20201014_123947.thumb.jpg.7f99a16c1927ae4aa1fde1610621ffcc.jpg

I lost patience with regularly wasting half an hour to find these usual suspects - spanners from 8-19mm, the Allen key set and the box of drill bits.  These are items which always vanish into the garage as they lacked a home other than buried in the bottom of the tool box (which I rarely can be bothered to haul far enough out to actually open).

Five minutes sticking some screws in the wall and they now have an easy to get to, visible place to live.

One day I will have proper tool racks for most of the tools...but that's a long way away yet!

For the first time in nearly a year, a collection is set for Friday morning.  This is a big one - certainly the largest vehicle I've ever owned - and as it's being combined with a work trip, it starts tomorrow morning.  In an excellent bit of one-in-one-out planning, the vehicle it's replacing is off to a new home with a trusted shiter on Sunday too.  

Im putting my T4 back on the road .. had a new clutch and cambelt toady and a new battery. The exhaust fell off as it was rotten  on the way home ..Bank balance hit for 880 quid 😲 new exhaust ordered ... another 98 quid .

Next items , discs and pads all-round...tyres , calipers , cv gaiter, seat belt ,power steering pump , oil and filter, ps fluid , antifreeze .. Another 500 quids hopefully will see it on the road !  😁

On the cusp of buying a very cheap Volvo 940 with a short MOT.

However, I don't have need for another car nor room, - no room for a regular car, never mind for a car the size of a small building.

Struggling to reconcile between these two problems. Super cheap Ovlov vs not actually having anywhere to put it.

It's been all Police Interceptors round here this evening!  When I was walking the dog about 1845 hours, a white Audi A3 came flying down the street we were walking along, followed by a Skoda dog van showing no blues but galloping anyway.  Both disappeared into distant streets, but a few minutes later the Audi shot past the end of the street we were on, and the neighbour I was talking to reported hearing a crash.  So obviously I went for a bit more walk, as soon as I'd taken the dog home.  I was passed by a fully-marked ARV cruising the streets, and shortly afterwards by a local patrol van.  Between the two I had found the car, so I waved the van down...

"Are you looking for a white Audi?"

"yes, we are."

"It's round the corner in Durham Street."

You've never seen two police officers so delighted.  The ARV crew drove right past it....

Waiting for the Astra to get collected by the scrapman...they will have a HGV to collect it. I happen to live at the top of a Cul-De-Sac. The bin's get collected today too, and haven't yet been done so. Chances that they will arrive on the street, at the same time? Very heigh...

To make matters worse? Half the houses on the street are parked out on the street due to getting external insulating/cladding fitted...and there are workvans for that kicking about. 

This'll be fun... 🤣

7 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Waiting for the Astra to get collected by the scrapman...they will have a HGV to collect it. I happen to live at the top of a Cul-De-Sac. The bin's get collected today too, and haven't yet been done so. Chances that they will arrive on the street, at the same time? Very heigh...

To make matters worse? Half the houses on the street are parked out on the street due to getting external insulating/cladding fitted...and there are workvans for that kicking about. 

This'll be fun... 🤣

Well ? What happened ? Did the binmen try and stuff it in the back of their wagon, or did the contractors use Astra bits for some post-modern external cladding ? Pray tell...