The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

52 minutes ago, SiC said:

Is that a plastic wing? I paintless dent repair place will likely sort that I reckon. 

It's metal with a plastic bumper. I think I need to find a car that's had a rear ender and get a new bumper and wing.

51 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Oh shit :(  the bumper was utterly fucked anyway. 

Yes, this little car has been in the wars! Tough though. 

You could boil my 13k posts on this forum down to this single post. Car's been in an accident? Bodywork a bit fucked?

Buy hey I found an OEM Kia/i10 brake pedal rubber on eBay to replace the other one that had a tiny hole it in! Hoorah!

IMG_20201013_193626.thumb.jpg.01e83dd412a7d9424cfa666340cbb776.jpg

IMG_20201013_193955.thumb.jpg.91bf065627358ea84b25bf4d64ce115e.jpg

Thanks for the support, folks.

3 hours ago, egg said:

Yes, more minor than I'd feared, the Toyo that hit her was slightly worse off.

I want to report it but not claim, I think.

Hopefully your premium won't jump by nearly 100% at the renewal because of that.

Reporting a non-fault accident to my insurer (Direct Line I think it was) back when the tanker failed to give way to me back in 2006 was a huge mistake.

They hounded me endlessly for months about wanting to pursue claims, car and injury, and doubled my price at renewal as the accident meant I was "at greater risk of having an incident."

They were never involved in any way, we dealt directly with the other driver's insurers who just got the job done and save for a little haggling on the value of the car (which was absolutely a write off) the process couldn't have been easier.  Was back when scrap value was non existent too so they weren't even interested in removing the damaged car...I was able to strip the useful parts at my leisure and eventually scrap the remains...by which point scrap value had recovered and I got £150 for it!

Glad that accident wasn't too serious.  I've mentioned on here before, my sister has had a very early 2008 i10 since it was 3 years old with less than 20k on the clock.  It's now on about 105k miles, I have done most of its routine servicing for the last 7 years other than this year as she couldn't travel down to me for it to be done.  I think the only parts it's needed outside of standard servicing is a CV joint and a new sump last year and a clutch around 55k miles - apparently early ones had very fragile clutches.  Otherwise it's been through a few sets of brake discs and pads, one caliper and one timing belt, next one is due next year.  The early ones have problems with the rear door tops rotting out which she's had fixed but the rest of the car doesn't have a spot of rust on it.

It's dull as dishwater but I can't knock it, it does lots of city miles, several long motorway journeys a year and gets used as a van quite a lot, costs buttons to run and never really goes wrong, never needs oil or coolant topups and the air con still works despite having never been touched.  It doesn't drive any differently now to how it drove when it was nearly new, she intends to keep it until it dies and the way it's going that's going to be a long way off yet.  Not bad for a very cheap budget car.

15 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Hopefully your premium won't jump by nearly 100% at the renewal because of that.

Reporting a non-fault accident to my insurer (Direct Line I think it was) back when the tanker failed to give way to me back in 2006 was a huge mistake.

They hounded me endlessly for months about wanting to pursue claims, car and injury, and doubled my price at renewal as the accident meant I was "at greater risk of having an incident."

Yeah, I appreciate some folk would say, just carry on and don't report it, and there's bound to be some financial penalty. But, insurance T&C's do say to report any incident, so if they claim against us and there's no record.....we could be in a worse position.

Other car had worse damage so they may claim. Also, it wasn't the car owner who was driving, so I have some concern over their insurance status.

1 minute ago, egg said:

Yeah, I appreciate some folk would say, just carry on and don't report it, and there's bound to be some financial penalty. But, insurance T&C's do say to report any incident, so if they claim against us and there's no record.....we could be in a worse position.

Yeah, aware the world is quite a different place to 14 years ago too!

26 minutes ago, phil_lihp said:

It's dull as dishwater but I can't knock it,

Agreed, Hyundai/Kia seem to have boiled down the essentials of car building to a very fine art. Lots of parts sharing, building in emerging markets where labour is cheap, providing the features you actually need and read well in brochures and reviews with the end consumer in mind. Looking at parts diagrams as well it's notable how few components are used for certain features. 

I'm very impressed purely from a standpoint of how to build 'an car'.  There's modern annoyances of course, like fuel filter in the tank...

Yep, the fuel filter is a lifetime item!  The garage she uses had trouble finding the right parts for it when it needed a new driveshaft/CV, apparently the very early i10s are slightly different in places and the only part that fitted in the end was meant to be for a Picanto.  That aside it really has been remarkably trouble-free.

Hope that all is ok Egg.

It's horrible getting news like that and knowing that you can't really help. (at least not immediately) I remember, a few years back, my Dad had a crash about half a mile from where I work.  Ironically, I was 130 miles away in Bournemouth on holiday at the time, so he didn't want to worry me. Instead, I had messages from half of my colleagues asking if my Dad was ok! This probably caused me far more stress than if he had just told me. (My dad is a regular customer, so they all know him. He was fine, but the car was in a bit of a mess!)

glad to hear everyone is alright @egg

I hope its just surface damage and nothing too serious underneath 

I was thinking back to when your got the i10 how you wished for it to spend its days entirely on the forum

and I was thinking back then, if it can manage that, it will probably be the last i10 known to still survive in 20-40 years!

just see how other white goods cars have entirely vanished over the years, and you dont get much more "white goods" then something like your i10

so I do hope it can survive with you and the forum through the bottom of the curve and come out the other side :) 

12 minutes ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Glad all is okay @egg

Fellow BX lickers, this is a low coolant light, yes? @vulgalour maybe? 

Topped it up, wasn't really low, but it still persists every now and then. Thinking dodgy sensor. I did replace a belt and do some other tinkering yesterday, maybe I knocked something... 

PXL_20201013_162648719.jpg

Yup, low coolant light.  It works based on measuring the resistance of the coolant, so it is possible for the sensors to go bananas if the coolant and/or the sensor get dirty.

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Why?  What's wrong with using a float like everyone else?

I thought they just used the coolant to complete the circuit, low coolant -open circuit - warning light

Not seen a float in a header tank for many years.

38 minutes ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Glad all is okay @egg

Fellow BX lickers, this is a low coolant light, yes? @vulgalour maybe? 

Topped it up, wasn't really low, but it still persists every now and then. Thinking dodgy sensor. I did replace a belt and do some other tinkering yesterday, maybe I knocked something... 

PXL_20201013_162648719.jpg

Yes, it did that to me shortly after the MoT.  The connector at the temperature sender on the driver's side of the radiator is the culprit, it's either the connector itself or the wiring is loose.  I put a cabletie around it which resolved it but I guess that's worked loose or something is wonky there again.  If you're clever with a soldering iron you might be able to rebuild it.  It could also have furred up again, because 80s Citroen.

27 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Yup, low coolant light.  It works based on measuring the resistance of the coolant, so it is possible for the sensors to go bananas if the coolant and/or the sensor get dirty.

Cheers. 

Just now, vulgalour said:

Yes, it did that to me shortly after the MoT.  The connector at the temperature sender on the driver's side of the radiator is the culprit, it's either the connector itself or the wiring is loose.  I put a cabletie around it which resolved it but I guess that's worked loose or something is wonky there again.  If you're clever with a soldering iron you might be able to rebuild it.  It could also have furred up again, because 80s Citroen.

Ah, that'll be it. Think I poked that cable tie when I was putting the head light back in. I'll give it an equal poke in the opposite direction, then. 

3 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Watch your fingers/knuckles when you do it, the alternator will bite you if it thinks it has half a chance.

You'll be happy to know I've secured the left hand indicator and am going to drill out a washer to secure the right hand one after I lost the last one on the motorway. 

Also replaced the Hydraulic pump belt as it was slipping, the pump was sliding about on its mount too as it was so loose. Drives much nicer now and the belt doesn't slip, old one looked very knackered. MOT soon. Fingers crossed.